steering wheel removing..wasnt able to do it

ghostdancing

True Classic
i would like to get a slight smaller steering wheel for my 128..the original one is not comfortable because i touch with my knees when sitting in the car..i removed the horn button, and unscrewed the big nut..tried to tap with a plastic mallet, also tried to use a 3-arms extractor.. but the wheel doesnt want to move at all...i dont want to broke it so didnt go any further

any special trick to get the wheel off?

My usual method for removing Fiat steering wheels (they are all held on the same way) is to loosen the nut but leave it on so the top of the nut us flush with the top of the steering shaft and grab the steering wheel at three and nine o'clock and start wiggling and pulling on the wheel and I do this somewhat violently as I ramp up the pressure. If no luck then I grab the wheel at noon and six o'clock and just keep from the first hand position to the second. The nut keeps the wheel from coming off and smacking you in the face. Never had a problem but have read horror stories on the Xweb of problems getting the wheel off. I suggest you repost on the tech section since your wheel is held on exactly like on an X and you will get more responses there.

And if that doesn't work, have a friend pull in the steering wheel while you hammer on the nut/column. The shock helps brake it loose and the nut protects the threads while still keeping the wheel from hitting you (or your friend) in the face. Using a drift/punch or block of wood might be easier on the nut.

Back