Stereo System Options

I skipped from cassettes directly to mp3s and never really dealt with CDs. Glad those are on the way out. They seemed even more delicate than casstte tapes. But on a car stereo I can't see using e-files either. I hate scrolling through menus. You have to have your head screwed on the same way as the media developer to enjoy that. If you think a little differently, you will struggle with their idea of how it should be organized. I just tune to the classical station now and drive and leave the digital media for at home..

What I don't understand about modern car stereos is that instead of laying out the controls the way they're generally arranged on everything non-car, the designers feel the need to make them as cryptic and non-intuitive as possible. It's especially crazy, given that the stereos are intended for moving vehicles.
So true. I installed a new stereo in my daily driver (non-Fiat) and I have to refer to the users manual every time I need to adjust something.

But on a car stereo I can't see using e-files either. I hate scrolling through menus.
I'm not sure what menus you are referring to? If you mean searching for a particular song then that was even more difficult with cassettes. I just leave mine set on "random play" so I never hear the same sequence twice, and still get nothing but my favorite music all the time.

Y'all probably aren't going to like my solution but it involves this. Looks classy and in-place in a classic car interior, IMO. It has Bluetooth, line in, high quality components. Personally, I have no need for the multitude of gimmicky functions modern RGB gamer-boy head units have.
:

Screenshot_20221214-202909.png

Oh and the main reason: I needed something that takes up less than a full DIN panel. It would fit into a panel like this:
1671270230300.png

Which makes its non-full size a little less awkward looking, not sure how it would look alone. Perhaps the space next to it could be used for something else useful in cars without a second device needed on the panel.

Though I may not settle for this exact model. Ill likely use one without a dedicated sub channel, as I plan to use this along with the speaker-level input on a high end amplifier which will have its own, as well as the needed processing for the multitude of speakers that will be onboard :)

But the car has a ways to go. I should probably get the rust and body fixed before dumping a ridiculous audio system into it.

Last edited:
What I don't understand about modern car stereos is that instead of laying out the controls the way they're generally arranged on everything non-car, the designers feel the need to make them as cryptic and non-intuitive as possible. It's especially crazy, given that the stereos are intended for moving vehicles.
1,000% agreement there. It should be law there’s either a volume knob or easy-to-hit mute button.
And what idiot designs a car stereo interface to act like an iPod? Sure, scrolling through the equivalent of 100 pages of songs is so easy, and such a great idea at 75mph.
A well designed interface has large, alphabetical screen buttons, and the button location doesn’t change on the screen, so your eyes aren’t searching all over the place.
My 500 Abarth factory radio does that: hit browse, takes you to artist/album/song.
Hit one of those (all very large and easy to target), and it brings up a full-screen, alphabet listing.
Hit the letter you’re after (B for Beatles), and THEN your at a list of B titles.
iPods are meant to be used sitting on the bus, not driving it…

"iPods are meant to be used sitting on the bus, not driving it"
Hah, indeed. I don't use touchscreen head units much, but I bet the UIs can be a mess. Slickness for the sake of slickness, at the cost of function. Yes, volume knobs, that can be used without looking at, make so much more sense.

My favorite on mechanical units is when there is no pause button in sight, when there should be one the size of a quarter.

So true. I installed a new stereo in my daily driver (non-Fiat) and I have to refer to the users manual every time I need to adjust something.
Yup.
I don't know how it is now, but about 10 years ago, I had an Alpine HU installed and realized on the way home, after trying to get the thing to do something basic that it wouldn't do, that it didn't come with a physical manual, just a DVD. These jokers really expected me to bust out a laptop every time I wanted to figure out their cuckoo bird stereo.

I'm with the others, I do not like touch screen controls on a car (or most other applications frankly). For one thing I think that technology is what allows the manufacturer to program all those menus and submenus that keep moving all around and lead you into the rabbit hole when you're trying to perform a simple task on the unit.

For the sake of ergonomics and safe driving I'd prefer nothing but mechanical controls that you can "feel" without looking and know what function it performs. In fact that was one project that I managed back in my MBA days with a major aerospace company; developing control panels for the space shuttle that were completely intuitive and easy to use but without having a million switches and knobs on the panel (like many large airplanes had in those days)....

main-qimg-4c90259ec0a230e67fe7c0a86fc27f6b-lq.jpg

Like I said, I hate scrolling through menus for basic functions. Just controlling the balance or front to rear fade on speakers requires you to come to a complete stop, break out the manual (which you have printed out and put in the glove box), and fiddling for a minute or two.

Like I said, I hate scrolling through menus for basic functions. Just controlling the balance or front to rear fade on speakers requires you to come to a complete stop, break out the manual (which you have printed out and put in the glove box), and fiddling for a minute or two.
Unfortunately that seems to be the norm on most modern aftermarket radios now. :(

I'm with the others, I do not like touch screen controls on a car (or most other applications frankly). For one thing I think that technology is what allows the manufacturer to program all those menus and submenus that keep moving all around and lead you into the rabbit hole when you're trying to perform a simple task on the unit.

For the sake of ergonomics and safe driving I'd prefer nothing but mechanical controls that you can "feel" without looking and know what function it performs. In fact that was one project that I managed back in my MBA days with a major aerospace company; developing control panels for the space shuttle that were completely intuitive and easy to use but without having a million switches and knobs on the panel (like many large airplanes had in those days)....
Yes, they should be intentionally designed to be able to work just by feel.
Super cool space shuttle project.

I googled 'blaupunkt two knob DIN auto radio for sale' and found Blaupunkt Amsterdam AM FM SW RADIO for $139.

I figured since I just got this part done I may as well share,

First revision came out pretty well. Still need to add some radiuses to the face plate and tweak the clips slightly, but otherwise it's looking good!

It'll be satin black and smooth before it's installed permanently.

PXL_20221220_205514999.NIGHT.jpg

I googled 'blaupunkt two knob DIN auto radio for sale' and found Blaupunkt Amsterdam AM FM SW RADIO for $139.
Very cool! Excellent looking too. And this is a true original old-school German Blaupunkt brand (this one is made in France), not the current Chinese junk. Love it.

That seller has a number of great vintage radios available at decent prices. I'm guessing he restores them cosmetically, and the functionality is dependant on the unrestored condition? Also, originally being a European model, some functions will not work in the USA. But at the very least these would make perfect candidates for a "restomod" - put modern guts in them and retain the classic outside appearance.

As a side note, over the years I've noticed a number of individuals from places like Croatia, Cypress, Greece with excellent collections of rare vintage parts. Some NOS, some prime condition used, and most at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I figured since I just got this part done I may as well share,

First revision came out pretty well. Still need to add some radiuses to the face plate and tweak the clips slightly, but otherwise it's looking good!

It'll be satin black and smooth before it's installed permanently.
Looking good. But how powerful is that power amplifier. It is looking very tiny.
This website popped up while browsing. May be interesting for you guys wanting something new but looking old.

It'll be satin black and smooth before it's installed permanently…
I milled a panel from a piece of 1/4” acrylic and sprayed it with Gunk Tite-Seal Rubberized Undercoating. It’s not perfect, but I’m pretty happy with the results.

Attachments

• 0FB86CE3-2689-43B7-9CAD-3A1AE2DB87B7.jpeg
    0FB86CE3-2689-43B7-9CAD-3A1AE2DB87B7.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 81
Looking good. But how powerful is that power amplifier. It is looking very tiny.
This website popped up while browsing. May be interesting for you guys wanting something new but looking old.
Thanks for the link, I'll check that out!

The unit I have there is 100w x 2 channels, but the intent with this system would be to use this as simply a head unit, feeding the speaker-level input on a proper amplifier...say, an Audison SR5.600 once I can afford one. Proper routing to all four speakers as well as the subwoofer would be handled there.

Currently, the car has no speakers in it even, but I went ahead and made the panel in order to fit the water pump controller as I want to.

I milled a panel from a piece of 1/4” acrylic and sprayed it with Gunk Tite-Seal Rubberized Undercoating. It’s not perfect, but I’m pretty happy with the results.
Wow, that turned out very well. Thanks for the tip, I may have to give that a try.

Back