Stereo System Options

Is this the type you said you played around with some years ago?
I just realized why you might have been thinking this. In a earlier post (#131) regarding the first unit you had, I made the comment: "I hate to say it but this looks a lot like the crappy ones I tried a few years ago." That was poorly worded, I did not literally mean it "looks like" as much as it "seems like". Speaking generally about the overall quality of the unit. But no, as I stated the ones I tried were not full DIN size. So yours are not really the same type that I played with. However from what you found with your first one it was about as good as the ones I tried. :rolleyes: Hopefully your second one is better, let me know what you find.

Last edited:
Not surprisingly all of those inexpensive units were complete garbage.

But in my defense I have a couple of portable MP3 players made by SanDisk that have similar features. They are tiny units (roughly one inch square by a quarter inch thick) with a rechargeable battery and earbuds....much like the little iPod Shuffle. They were around $25 at Frys and I've had them for many years with a ton of use / abuse and they still work perfectly. By comparison, at the time that I tried those small car units they were around $20-25 so I hoped they might be of similar quality. Not. :(
It is possible to make decent sounding, low cost preamp, tuner, and Bluetooth devices as the circuit components are relatively cheap. Most of the low level stuff can be integrated and since all of that has been around quite a while, it is not expensive. Using these component building blocks, it should not be hard to come up with a decent sounding receiver with preamp outputs or moderate power amps to drive speakers. If those receivers you checked out don't sound as good as your old SanDisk mp3 player, it is likely because the system designer did not do a good job. The hard work is designing the integrated circuits that make up these units. That is often done by large semiconductor companies or audio companies using semiconductor foundry services. In order to amortize the high development costs, these components are designed fit a large number of different applications to generate volume. Thus, a great number of these different finished products may have mostly the same guts inside. These components are usually very well documented and typically have application notes describing how to use the component. Unfortunately, not all the system "designers" using these components take the time to fully understand how to best optimize the product they are making with these components. Then throw in the ridiculous marketing hype that comes with those products that have no basis in reality. It is not surprising that many of the units are considered junk.

It is possible to make decent sounding, low cost preamp, tuner, and Bluetooth devices as the circuit components are relatively cheap. Most of the low level stuff can be integrated and since all of that has been around quite a while, it is not expensive. Using these component building blocks, it should not be hard to come up with a decent sounding receiver with preamp outputs or moderate power amps to drive speakers. If those receivers you checked out don't sound as good as your old SanDisk mp3 player, it is likely because the system designer did not do a good job. The hard work is designing the integrated circuits that make up these units. That is often done by large semiconductor companies or audio companies using semiconductor foundry services. In order to amortize the high development costs, these components are designed fit a large number of different applications to generate volume. Thus, a great number of these different finished products may have mostly the same guts inside. These components are usually very well documented and typically have application notes describing how to use the component. Unfortunately, not all the system "designers" using these components take the time to fully understand how to best optimize the product they are making with these components. Then throw in the ridiculous marketing hype that comes with those products that have no basis in reality. It is not surprising that many of the units are considered junk.
To be honest it wasn't the sound quality that I disliked, but the actual component quality.

At least one arrived completely "DOA" non operating. Another 'worked' but many of its various functions did not; press the button and nothing happened. Yet another seemed to work fine for a day, then it started acting up and quit completely a couple days later. Then there was yet another issue with one. It worked ok but the way the menus and functions were designed it was nearly impossible for me to actually use it. For example every time you turned it back on the music would start at the beginning - first track of the first file - despite being set on "random shuffle". And it would only shuffle the songs in one file, not all of the files. Plus some of my preferred/programmed settings were lost every time I turned it off, despite having two power sources - switched and constant. It had other dislikes as well. The thing was so frustrating I tossed it in the trash after a day of fooling around with it.

By comparison those inexpensive SanDisk portable units are amazing. In my opinion better than the iPod ones. I love everything about them. In fact I even connected one to my vehicle's sound system temporarily while I continued searching for a better replacement. But that wasn't very practical because it required one cord to power it (it's designed as a portable battery operated unit) and another cord to the Aux input. However that is why I figured there must be a simple, inexpensive, 12V unit that I could use as the basis for a basic music player in a vehicle...along the lines of the ones linked in my earlier post.

I eventually got a full 'DIN' sized "JVC" unit and mounted it in the stock stereo location. Although that meant I could not do the dash redesign that I wanted to. However I'm not happy with it either. I discussed it in a earlier post.

Thanks for the links - I will review some of those as alternatives should I end up not liking the one I bought. You comments on AliExpress prompted me to look up the one I bought - I only found one seller with similar prices to US purchase. There were several reviews, form non-native English speakers, so a little funny to read, however a point was made regarding the (lack of sufficient) heat sink ('radiator", they called it). I may have to look at that if I keep it.

Speaking of the price, one interesting thing I noticed is if you search a specific model number online and on AliExpress you will see a huge range of prices. From well less than $10 to as much as $70-80 for the exact same product. The fact that some sellers can offer it for so little tells me two things; they are extremely cheaply manufactured, and many sellers are asking a huge profit.
When I was a product design student in the early 2000s, I learned about the good estimated breakdown of a retail product cost back to raw materials.

Starting with a retail price of $100, about half of that is the retailer’s cost to buy inventory.

From there about $25 of the $50 at the manufacturer is their overhead and $25 is cost of product. In that cost of product your R&D is often $12, and the remaining $13 is raw material and labor.

If you can Research and Duplicate rather than Research and Develop, you can save 12% of the retail price. If you can sell direct you can get a lower price or more profit. The price discrepancy on Chinese goods doesn’t always line up with the “you get what you pay for” mantra that holds up in markets where intellectual property is specific to a company.

Thanks for the links - I will review some of those as alternatives should I end up not liking the one I bought. You comments on AliExpress prompted me to look up the one I bought - I only found one seller with similar prices to US purchase. There were several reviews, form non-native English speakers, so a little funny to read, however a point was made regarding the (lack of sufficient) heat sink ('radiator", they called it). I may have to look at that if I keep it.
Just to be clear, I wasn't recommending those units in the links. I was illustrating the general type that I tried in the past, which were garbage. So I do NOT recommend any of the ones I posted. ;)

A friend installed the new Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB in his absolutely pristine 1985 Porsche 928. Looks great.

327803356_703075797956734_469120486794101274_n.jpg

Looks like it was born there, but these are a little pricy for budget minded individuals like me...🤑

This has been discussed previously; "Blaupunkt" is not the Blaupunkt we all knew and loved. When the original German company closed down in 2016 they sold the rights to use the name to a company in China that manufactures inexpensive low quality electronics. Now that company is trying to overcome their bad rap by raising prices and mimicking the old names and appearances of original models. But inside they are still cheap low quality junk. Unfortunately there are those that want to believe otherwise and think by paying more they are getting something it is not. But do your own homework, just beware of internet myths and falsehoods.

This has been discussed previously; "Blaupunkt" is not the Blaupunkt we all knew and loved. When the original German company closed down in 2016 they sold the rights to use the name to a company in China that manufactures inexpensive low quality electronics. Now that company is trying to overcome their bad rap by raising prices and mimicking the old names and appearances of original models. But inside they are still cheap low quality junk. Unfortunately there are those that want to believe otherwise and think by paying more they are getting something it is not. But do your own homework, just beware of internet myths and falsehoods.
I knew you couldn't resist commenting. :) You do this anytime Blaupunkt is mentioned, forgetting that you already mentioned it before. :)
These new units are great. Yes, not the old Bosch-owned Blaupunkt of yore, but honestly, for what this is that doesn't matter.

No offense at all to you Jeff, but not sure why you seem obsessed with this.

I knew you couldn't resist commenting. :) You do this anytime Blaupunkt is mentioned, forgetting that you already mentioned it before. :)
These new units are great. Yes, not the old Bosch-owned Blaupunkt of yore, but honestly, for what this is that doesn't matter.

No offense at all to you Jeff, but not sure why you seem obsessed with this.
I only post the truth about Blaupunkt when I read posts that suggest others may be interested in buying one, in the hopes of helping them to avoid that mistake. I purchased a Blaupunkt and realized it was complete garbage and the company would not support it. I was a big fan of the brand back in the day and it surprised me to see the name being abused by new owners. So I did considerable research to understand why. All of the evidence supports my comments about the 'new' Blaupunkt. Therefore I try to let my fellow forum members know not to be taken by their marketing gimmicks. As for being obsessed, I cannot understand why you keep posting the same unfounded view about it being something it is not? ;) :)

I only post the truth about Blaupunkt when I read posts that suggest others may be interested in buying one, in the hopes of helping them to avoid that mistake. I purchased a Blaupunkt and realized it was complete garbage and the company would not support it. I was a big fan of the brand back in the day and it surprised me to see the name being abused by new owners. So I did considerable research to understand why. All of the evidence supports my comments about the 'new' Blaupunkt. Therefore I try to let my fellow forum members know not to be taken by their marketing gimmicks. As for being obsessed, I cannot understand why you keep posting the same unfounded view about it being something it is not? ;) :)

Unfounded view? I and many others have one of the new Bremens.

My 82 X1/9 has a later Blaupunkt, but prior to it being sold to a Chinese company. It's garbage. I can't remember the model off hand.

Which Blaupunkt did you buy to send you down this path?

Found a pic of the Blaupunkt in my 82 X. Not a fan. Key West MP36. Prior to Chinese-era too. It's very chintzy. The new Bremen is much better.

A3C2E413-33E2-4A36-8B70-5C4A6DCAEF72.jpeg

6A12F5CD-B0E1-4F87-A03B-981C45204D36.jpeg

The silver Ferrari 400i 5-speed that is currently listed on BaT has one of the new Blaupunkt Bremen DAB stereos in it. While I am a fan of keeping the factory stereo, this does look decent. (My 400i has a Blaupunkt Toronto SQR 32 as factory fitted.)

D89E2286-23C2-435E-94B0-4B180EC70112.jpeg

I know this option will piss off the traditionalists but that ship has sailed for my X. I love the functionality of a full blown modern head unit. Having carplay, android car, tuning software, gauges navigation, weather ..... on and on in something that can be customizable to look like the OEM dash is the way to go for me. This is a single din but the screen is slightly larger. Perfect would be a screen that fit single din perfectly.

steriosm.jpg

I know this option will piss off the traditionalists but that ship has sailed for my X. I love the functionality of a full blown modern head unit. Having carplay, android car, tuning software, gauges navigation, weather ..... on and on in something that can be customizable to look like the OEM dash is the way to go for me. This is a single din but the screen is slightly larger. Perfect would be a screen that fit single din perfectly.

View attachment 71725
How‘s the Joying working out, long run? The only thing I miss with some of these touch-screens is a volume knob/quick-off button. Otherwise, nice. It’s hard to be traditional about audio systems when Honda engines are getting dropped in, you know? lol. Rock n roll…

How‘s the Joying working out, long run? The only thing I miss with some of these touch-screens is a volume knob/quick-off button. Otherwise, nice. It’s hard to be traditional about audio systems when Honda engines are getting dropped in, you know? lol. Rock n roll…

The joying has been great. Wireless carplay is great. I have mine boot to the screen you see after a fiat logo thing. Touch screen works great so I do not miss the knobs. It did come with a programmable remote control that has a analog push and twist control. I really have not installed it anywhere yet but don't seem to need it.
swc32.jpg

Back