Still for sale 82

toofast

Steve Zito
Hello everyone. Just wanting to update my ad if I may. My original ad has dropped to like page 2 or 3. I did have an opportunity to go to part of FFO today and met everyone up at the Lakeridge Winery. Very nice time. Anyway, you all know the car and it is still available. Asking $11,000. More than most, I know, but it is really a good one. My hope is an enthusiast that can appreciate that will want to preserve this one. Thanks. toofast@cfl.rr.com

Please, no offense intended. I am only being perfectly honest for your benefit. At that price, unless it comes with a 'super model' or other unworldly benefit, then you will be waiting MUCH longer to sell it (as in eternity). Sorry to sound negative but that is simply an unrealistic price for any X1/9, I don't care how nice it is. I say all this in the hope of helping you to sell the car by bringing your price down to a reasonable level. Again, no offense intended. ;)

I had eyes-on today. It is definitely a pristine example. Prices are always dependent upon supply, demand, desire, condition and negotiating skills. If I were to win the lottery on Saturday night, Steve would be getting a call on Sunday. ;)

Previously reviewed by Xweb luminaries here...
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/i-am-selling-my-x-1-9.34664/

Lotta info in original MWB ad for the car here...
http://www.midwest-bayless1.com/mwb/docs/FORSALE/1982-X19-Ad.htm

Appears to be no-excuses, with MWB provenance.
As the cognoscenti say, "might be all the money, but not silly money."
Or, "you can't pay too much for a pristine virgin, might only pay too soon."

There are other examples of top shelf Xs bringing top shelf coin.
Seller indicates the price is "asking".
I'd say Golden Opportunity for someone who wants primo example.

I respectfully disagree with Dr. Jeff's statement "that is simply an unrealistic price for any x 1/9, I don't care how nice it is." I reference BAT (Bring a Trailer) and X1/9 auction history for data to the contrary. This year alone, three X's have sold for more than this one. Above $8000 this year, 5 have sold on BAT and another was bid to $8500 with reserve not met. I think that for cars in premium condition, as this one appears to be, the buyers are out there. The question is how to connect with them.

My guess is that the buyers in the above $10K range are not plentiful on this forum. I was drawn to the X because it is an affordable mid engine sports car and the closest I could get to a ferrari-type exotic on a regular person budget. So cost will always be a strong decider for me. From reading posts over the years, I think a lot of the members pursue the car for similar reasons. Between a $4000 that looks ok and functions well, and an $11,000 that is almost perfect, I would pick the $4000 car. Not that the $11,000 car isn't worth the asking price, I would just do without the perfection and not spend the additional $7000. I don't defend this as sound decision making - it's just the way I'm put together. Also, I think the forum members already have an X or two...... or five. Getting another one, no matter how nice, becomes a logistical issue. Which ones would I give up, can I sell the ones I have in time to buy the new one, etc.

In short, the forum might not be the best audience for a timely sale. GIven enough time, and plenty of reminders, I think this car would sell on the forum. I myself am tempted every time I see it.

I do think this is a really nice car, and I'm going on pictures alone here. A car like this has features that are difficult to impossible to duplicate, and expensive if you try. The dash has the original fit and finish; no cracks, great color. The weather striping looks factory original. Rare Black interior. The body is straight and lines up well. I would like to see the color under better lighting conditions. I'll bet a clay-polish-wax treatment for the paint and great lighting conditions and this car would be jaw-dropping. See what I mean by tempted?

So good luck with the sale. I think the price is realistic. If I had the money in my hobby fund, I would buy it immediately. I agree with olerascal that this is a Golden Opportunity for someone in the right spot.

Happy X-ing to all.

I think JRT is onto something. Passionate enthusiasts here on this forum but many among us are thrifty. Certainly worth posting here but have you considered applying for a BAT ad?

Haven't really followed this thread as I only have interest in Xs at around $1,000. My experience with selling my spider is that BAT is where the moneyed buyers are. I actually tried to sell one of my spiders on BAT but they are selective about which cars they offer on auction and my green spider didn't make the cut for reasons I'll never figure out. An interesting auction would be "BAT Rejects". In any event, Fiats seem to sell for stunning amounts on BAT. Everyone here has an X so while we can offer comments few of us are consumers.

I would try BAT it does seem they move these cars surprisingly well.

Yours should do well there as it is a genuinely fine car unlike some I have seen move across there.

Good luck

I sold a vehicle on BAT and had a very pleasant experience. They set you up with a personal rep who guide you through the process. Cars tend to do very well on that site because they have a reputation for only listing fine examples. A word of caution, though. If you do sell through BAT, the viewers (and bidders) expect lots of photos -- and very detailed photos. Also, videos are a great way to win the hearts of the bidders. Another piece of advice is to be present during the week your car is on the auction block to respond quickly to questions. The cost is minimal (I can't remember exactly what the seller pays) because the buyer pays most of the fees.

Hello everyone. Just wanting to update my ad if I may. My original ad has dropped to like page 2 or 3. I did have an opportunity to go to part of FFO today and met everyone up at the Lakeridge Winery. Very nice time. Anyway, you all know the car and it is still available. Asking $11,000. More than most, I know, but it is really a good one. My hope is an enthusiast that can appreciate that will want to preserve this one. Thanks. toofast@cfl.rr.com
SO, YOU are the guy who bought this! I was ready to buy and when I finally contacted MWB they said it went for more than asking. I really wanted that car. But now I have another. It's nice, though not as nice as this one. GLWS sale on a perfect X. I hope whoever gets it leaves it as is: A beautiful, unmolested, correct stock example.

My guess is that the buyers in the above $10K range are not plentiful on this forum. ....

In short, the forum might not be the best audience for a timely sale.

So good luck with the sale. I think the price is realistic. If I had the money in my hobby fund, I would buy it immediately. I agree with olerascal that this is a Golden Opportunity for someone in the right spot.

Happy X-ing to all.

Agree 100% There is no good or bad audience of potential buyers. Just the right audience for the car. I would pay the 11K for that car if I didn't have one already.

Back