Stock catalytic converter

ecohen2

True Classic
Just out of curiosity does anyone know how restrictive the 30+ year old catalytic converter technology is compared to a newer one?

I have not pulled mine off yet, but I remember on my 124 it was this horrible honeycomb mess on the inside that eventually broke down and clogged. I plan on keeping one on my X but am not opposed to upgrading it...

Ed

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how restrictive the 30+ year old catalytic converter technology is compared to a newer one?

I have not pulled mine off yet, but I remember on my 124 it was this horrible honeycomb mess on the inside that eventually broke down and clogged. I plan on keeping one on my X but am not opposed to upgrading it...

Ed
This thread would seem to indicate that the stock catalytic converter is not very restrictive. Assuming, of course, that a stock converter was used for the test.

This thread would seem to indicate that the stock catalytic converter is not very restrictive. Assuming, of course, that a stock converter was used for the test.
The stock X1/9 does not use a honey comb, but rather pellets that are loosely loaded into the converter.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

When I read that post, it sounds like the base test had a cat and the header test does not include a cat...

"The 2nd test was with our new header and exhaust system w/o catalyst.
In driving the car, the increase in mid-range torque is immediately apparent"

Ed

When I read that post, it sounds like the base test had a cat and the header test does not include a cat...

"The 2nd test was with our new header and exhaust system w/o catalyst.
In driving the car, the increase in mid-range torque is immediately apparent"

Ed
If you read a few posts further down, you'll see dyno results with the cat in the system.

I missed that... That is what I get for browsing on a phone instead of a computer... Thanks..

Back