Stock Splitter? What is this thing...

darwoodious

Darin Nelson
So, I've seen them before - what is the "splitter" or "chin" in what looks like black plastic on the front.

Annotation 2020-05-12 192232.png

I've seen them before. Were they stock? If so what years and will it fit on a '76 X1/9. Are they still available from any vendors?

This photo came from our Calgarian member Bobkat's latest post in his La Bambina Azzura thread, but I've seen these on other exes.

Henk has them. It is listed as a Series Speciale front spoiler. I am pretty sure it will fit any year X1/9. Late model Xs would need to lose the elephant ear bumper surrounds. This unit basically fits over the stock spoiler area.

Thanks for the link @JimD. So I'm guessing they were stock in Europe/UK as Henk's page calls them "reproduction, glassfiber, including fitting hardware". I'm always nervous about fiberglass up front. I'm guessing the stock ones were some kind of plastic (the photo @DanielForest posted shows a long split in the spoiler that would NOT happen with fiberglass) but not sure ABS was common in the 70's.

Looks rad...

The original ones are actually a stiff rubber material, so they have some give if you nudge something. Australia first got x1/9s in 1978, all series speciale, all with this spoiler.

Would be a nice thing to have to cover up ugly rusted, bent stock spoiler and the matching spoiler ends on the fenders.

I like that spoiler as well. I had the same question as Darin some time ago and following similar answers I attempted to source one. At that time Henk did not offer it (that I knew of), and I could not find any other sources. Furthermore I will completely agree with you Darin, fiberglass is one of the worst materials to install on the lower nose of a car. So I assumed it's one of those unicorns to find a good one. This would be a terrific item to reproduce in the urethane stuff newer spoilers use.

Having said I hate using fiberglass on the nose, I purchased a fiberglass air dam for one of my X's. Only because I could not find a better option and opted not to make one in steel (which is what I'd normally do). The air dam I got has a similar spoiler incorporated into the lower portion of it, which was the main attraction for it. But to be honest I regret buying it. Not due to damage, it is still being mounted. Because of its poor quality, fitment, and design - especially given the price I paid for it.

That leads to the next option. Make the same spoiler as Darin shows in metal. Really wouldn't be that difficult to do.

Yes the originals are a hard rubber but split and crack as in the picture of the Lido above. Mine has also split, good luck trying to find an original that is usable!. If you you do kerb it the fittings tend to pull out so you are screwed either way, fibre glass can be repaired.

Back