Street Week in Sweden

Bjorn Nilson

True Classic
I drove the X to Street Week today which is an annual event in Sweden. Today they were visiting Vårgårda, a small town not very far from me. This was the third race of six. The rules are easy; You drag race your car (1/8 mile) on five different tracks/locations and drive it between the locations, a trip of 2000 km in total. You are not allowed to trailer your car and you must bring all the stuff you'll need; tools, spare parts, tyres etc during the week in the car. This means the car must be registered and road legal. But I am convinced most of the cars wouldn't pass an inspection. -It seems like the traffic police is a little bit more understanding than normal during this week. You count in your best of 3 first runs every day. There are ten classes; Max Outlaw, Street Outlaw, Ultimate Street, True Street, Pro Touring, Import War FWD and RWD, 4WD, Hot Rod and Classic.
I had the pleasure to meet the developers of MaxxECU to discuss future developments of their products and have a close look at their super nice and superfast Toyota Supra. Today they ran the 1/8 mile on 5,54 sec I think.
IMG_20210715_100431.jpg

This video from the first day by Peter Björck:

Looks like a ton of fun. Are you entering it or spectating?

There is a similar event here also. It brings out some very serious race cars that are supposedly "street legal". But here the laws are considerably different from state to state (different regions of the country), so in some places almost any vehicle is considered legal.

By the way, I am always impressed at the amazing car builds in your country. And it is funny how American cars are so desired there, when we think of them as complete junk! :p But I'm sure the opposite is also true; European models that we like here are probably considered as junk there.

Looks like a ton of fun. Are you entering it or spectating?
I was enjoying the event as a spectator only. Even if my X is fast, it is nothing in comparison to these beasts. 201 meters in 5.4 seconds and a top speed of 250 km/h is just crazy in a street legal car.
I rather do track racing than going fast straight forward and I am pretty sure I would beat most any of them when the road becomes twisty.

Back