Strut mounts wanted

jovani

True Classic
For months I am trying to buy the set of 4 for Fiat 128 from Vickauto, listed at great price ($32+s), but always out of stock. Any help?

fiat parts 62-6310.jpg

Thanks for reply Henk, but not what I need.

Your correct, 138 and X1/9 strut tops are not the same.
Last time I went shopping for 128 strut tops in the aftermarket they were on back order. I do stock original Fiat (or I should say, I get them from Fiat) under 4320780, but they are more expensive than aftermarket.

I haven't looked lately so it may have changed, but I saw some listed on eBay awhile back, at very good prices.

Curious what project you have planned with them?

I haven't looked lately so it may have changed, but I saw some listed on eBay awhile back, at very good prices.

Curious what project you have planned with them?
Thanks Hank, and answer to Dr.Jeff, my original ones aren't in best shape, and with brand new camber adjustable shocks I want the top to be and REMAIN as centered as possible for as long as possible (the X is my daily drive). Adjusting camber by upper upright bolt moves strut away from perpendicular in relation to mount/shock tower and 128 being symmetrical, can be rotated if rubber gets squeezed toward one side. I have no problem drilling 2 new holes, old ones will be covered by one big round washer under the nuts and it will look perfect and also I'll be done with mounts investment and longevity.

If they say "made in Turkey" dont buy them, they are cheap but not worth it. Rubber is very flumsy, they deformed in a matter of wks. Spend the $ on original ones if you can....

So, does anyone have the VA set for sale? Understandable VA price is tempting, next choice is x4 the price, and if they are constantly sold out, people keep buying them and I hope someone have unused set.

Mines were from VA as i live close to them. They gave me another set and after the 2nd set failed too i gave up. They are super great people but for some reason "this batch" of 2 sets failed miserably on me within 2-3wks of been installed and the car been just parked. No driving at all. This was around 4-5yrs ago. Maybe the issue is solved and or they changed suppliers.20140817_135352.jpg 20140817_135415.jpg 20140817_135500.jpg

Wow, that's pretty bad.

There is (was?) some upgraded units with a firmer rubber cushion, intended to improve the suspension's performance. I think Fiat Plus carried them. Not cheap but considering the quality of the available options, well. I've often thought someone should produce some with low Duro urethane rather than rubber, or something similar. I believe the VAS coilovers have a urethane upper mount. Not that it will fit the stock strut, but if it can be made for them then it would be possible to make them for the stock application. That should be less expensive to manufacture than custom rubber ones.

Wow, that's pretty bad.

There is (was?) some upgraded units with a firmer rubber cushion, intended to improve the suspension's performance. I think Fiat Plus carried them. Not cheap but considering the quality of the available options, well. I've often thought someone should produce some with low Duro urethane rather than rubber, or something similar. I believe the VAS coilovers have a urethane upper mount. Not that it will fit the stock strut, but if it can be made for them then it would be possible to make them for the stock application. That should be less expensive to manufacture than custom rubber ones.

I went and spent the $$ on NOS ones. 4-5 yrs later no issues at all.....

Curious how the prices compare for NOS and the upgrade Fiat Plus ones?

I should add that I need to get some eventually, so my question is with regard to future decision making.

Karfrik, I appreciate you sharing your bad experience, you are saving me work, money and aggravation !!! I am trying to find a solution to a problem, not to dive into a new one, I will get a mount from Ford Focus and see if it will work with minimum modifications. Physical size is similar to 128 mounts, positioning bolts are 8mm instead of 6, and want see if top and bottom will take Fiat's shock hardware.IMG_6807.jpg

Jovani, with the lack of good options for these, I also wondered what other mounts could be made to fit. Something that's more durable, firmer support, and at a reasonable price (hince the "good option" comment). Another idea was to try and find some with an actual bearing built in, to allow the strut to turn easier for better steering (instead of the plastic washer Fiat uses).

I started looking online for ideas but there are so many different designs out there, and when looking at them on the web you can't get a feel of their actual size/dimensions. So I didn't get far. But that picture you show of the Focus mount seems pretty close from the top view. Do you have more info on them (what years or a part number), or more pictures? I'd be interested in seeing what can be done with them.

I also considered taking some old stock Fiat mounts and making urethane units from them, but I'm not very experienced with molding or casting. Judging from your prior work that might be something you are better at, have you considered it as well?

Thanks for any added info on the Focus mounts.

Last edited:
I did a little research on the Ford Focus idea that Jovani suggested. In general I saw two basic styles of front mounts for the Focus, for Mk1 and for Mk2 models (there might be more but those seem to come up the most). Between them the Mk1 looks to be a much closer match for the X1/9. One Ford part number for it is 1480525, there may be others.

Mk1, top view:
s-l1600 (1).jpg
And bottom view:
thumb (1).jpg
One concern might be the height of the lower portion of the mount. It appears taller than the Fiat mount, which would jack up the ride height higher than stock (that is too tall already).
Fits-Ford-Focus-MK1-16-16V-ACP-Front - Copy.jpg

A benefit to this type mount (I my opinion) is the addition of a bearing at the top of the strut rod, where it mounts to the top mount. This will allow easy rotation of the strut assembly when steering, as the plastic washer is intended to do on the stock Fiat arrangement. Having a bearing instead of a washer is common on most strut mounts and provides a easier and smoother feel.
s-l1600.jpg
Some listings say "includes bearing" but the image shows no bearing like in the picture above, but rather a rubber ring where the spring contacts the mount:
Fits-Ford-Focus-MK1-16-16V-ACP-Front.jpg

So I'm not clear on the design, you would need to get one in hand and experiment with it.
Also, some listings show what I think is a rubber buffer for the top of the strut rod connection. Although it might be the center bearing from another angle? (again, I'm not completely clear on the design):
142930__ra_p.jpg
Here is a diagram of the strut assembly:
2011-02-15_171702_03_focus_struts.jpg

Another nice feature to the Focus top mount is the availability of an adjustable style, offering an eccentric washer to provide castor and camber adjustments:
s-l1600 (2).jpg

And finally, for comparison this is what the MK2 Focus mount looks like:
moog-moog-k160407-large-1.jpg

Dr.Jeff, Focus mk1 mount IS MADE for the X1/9. Hight is exactly same as X mount+aluminium chunk. Of course without using the included thrust bearing. Fiat's washer works better anyway, I had bearing installed before and steering was too light for my liking. You have to do 3 things to use Focus mounts, best one is drilling the additional 2 holes gives you ability to rotate the mount if it settles off center (my problem with the original mounts and reason for looking for 128 mounts). Second is to fill up the void on the bottom to flush flat surface with 14mm center hole. You can easily machine the X aluminium chunk, made new one or just stack washers with perfect ID and OD. I found such. Bearing doesn't give you any benefits, as the strut and the mount do not (should not) rotate in relation to one another, the shock's body and spring rotate on turn relative to strut and mount. Centering is already provided by Fiat's thrust washer assy, your void-filling piece described above and center hole on the new mount (which may or may not need 1mm larger bore depending on if it sits above or over the last step before threaded section of the strut when all assembled) . I already bought one Focus mount and next weekend will get the other 3 and install. Oh, I would add the original topmost non turn dished washer, it fits right in, for easy tightening the top bolt Rubber is slightly stiffer than X's, hope the shock tower will hold the offcenter line movement of the strut due the suspension travel. For the rear it seems even simpler, just drill the 2 holes.20180819_115907.jpg

Back