Strut Q for a fellow Lancisti...

I don't see why they wouldn't fit. They are direct replacements for the factory struts so if they fit now they should fit with the new struts. KYB changed the name from GR2 to Excel-G and now paint them a different color but other than that they are the same.

Thanks Gregory for posting this here and thanks Matthew for the answer on the GR2 vs. Excel G (I'm the guy on Lancisti who asked the question).

Matthew, I think where I have a question is the fact that GR2's listed on Bayless, etc. (even on mainstream online auto parts sources like RockAuto) state they are direct replacements for the X1/9 factory struts, but not necessarily for the Scorpion.

It might be unfounded, but there has been debate whether these struts will fit a Scorpion with wider than stock (185/65-R14 vs. 175/75-R13) tires.

Therefore, I took the time to view them side-by-side, took measurements, and attempted to dry fit them (posted pics in the link to the Lancisti post), but I still had questions as the clearance between the lower spring perch and the tire side-wall looked very close even with the stock setup.

Has anyone specifically used a GR2 with 185/65-14's on a Scorpion sucessfully?

Thanks,
T. J.

YES!!

I have used the GR2 struts and they work fine, infact you get a bit more travel with the GR2's. Other than shock placement in respect to mounting they are the same. Use them as direct replacements, I am doing the same thing because they end up being cheaper than haveing my Koni's rebuilt.

I believe Scorpions came stock with 185/70/13 tires.

Thanks Gregory for posting this here and thanks Matthew for the answer on the GR2 vs. Excel G (I'm the guy on Lancisti who asked the question).

Matthew, I think where I have a question is the fact that GR2's listed on Bayless, etc. (even on mainstream online auto parts sources like RockAuto) state they are direct replacements for the X1/9 factory struts, but not necessarily for the Scorpion.

It might be unfounded, but there has been debate whether these struts will fit a Scorpion with wider than stock (185/65-R14 vs. 175/75-R13) tires.

Therefore, I took the time to view them side-by-side, took measurements, and attempted to dry fit them (posted pics in the link to the Lancisti post), but I still had questions as the clearance between the lower spring perch and the tire side-wall looked very close even with the stock setup.

Has anyone specifically used a GR2 with 185/65-14's on a Scorpion sucessfully?

Thanks,
T. J.

X19 Struts on a Scorp

Yes, the X19 struts will work just fine on a Scorp with two caveats:

1. The Scorp springs are a little longer than the X19. They can be compressed and installed onto an X19 strut, but likely you may want to drop the car slightly anyways. As to not have that much spring jammed up, a lot of times we cut the top coil about 1/2 a coil and reshape.

2. You will need to use a 15mm hub-centric spacer between the wheel and the hub, or slot the bottom carrier mounting tab bolt holes (preferably both) when fitting X19 front struts on the Scorp. The lower holes on the stock strut mounting tabs are in a slightly different position than on the X struts, and will cause interference reducing the clearance between the tire sidewall and spring perch, and alterating the camber slightly. The spacer will provide necessary clearance, and the slotted bottom holes (or camber bolts) will allow you to correct the camber if you're concerned about it.

3. To re-iterate above, Excel G and GR-2 are the same struts now...

-M

Thanks, Matt.

I have Monte springs I'm installing in the new KYB struts which are shorter. Do you think I will still need to cut them down?

Regarding the camber adjustment, I will check and drill out the holes accordingly. I currently have the stock 5mm spacer, if I still need an extra 10mm (for 15mm total) after drilling out the strut bracket holes, how would that change the suspension geometry?

Any modifications needed to be done for the rears (same as front)?

Thanks.

Rebuilding struts, next question...

Thanks for all the previous replies. So, now I'm in the middle of disassembling the front struts when I realized I didn't purchase strut bearings.

Question 1: Is it wise to replace the strut bearings when rebuilding struts or are they not items that regularly fail (and what are the failure modes)?

Question 2: I've checked all the regular sources and all I've found are these on Bayless:
http://marketplaceadvisor.channelad...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=193064&i=259376724
Aside from the fact that they're listed only for 128 / X1/9, they are described as a modified part from the original design. Would these be good replacements or are these replacing a different part on the strut?

Thanks again,
T. J.

Sounds like you are on the right track

Just be careful when you open the strut, and make sure you measure the amount of fluid you dump out. (it has to go back in with new fluid, and this is another can of worms)

Warren

Fluid?

Maybe I mis-spoke. I'm disassembling the stock strut assembly and building up a KYB GR2 (for an X) unit complete with monte springs and new upper strut rubber bushings, as well. I'm not taking apart the stock strut shock itself (though I will keep them for future rebuilding, if necessary).

If that is what you thought I was doing, what fluid are you speaking of?

Some of the housing/insert packages...

Fluid?

Maybe I mis-spoke. I'm disassembling the stock strut assembly and building up a KYB GR2 (for an X) unit complete with monte springs and new upper strut rubber bushings, as well. I'm not taking apart the stock strut shock itself (though I will keep them for future rebuilding, if necessary).

If that is what you thought I was doing, what fluid are you speaking of?

Use an oil bath in the housing that the strut insert sits in. I think that's what's being referred to.

By "disassembling the stock struts", you mean removing the top nut, strut upper mount, spring, etc., right? I think Whitespy took it to mean you were opening up the housing and replacing the cartridge/insert.

Pete

Yes, Pete, thanks. I am just removing the top nut, strut upper mount, bearing, spring, etc., and re-installing on a new KYB GR2 strut. My last question being, is a replacement of the actual strut bearing under the upper spring perch recommended and, if so, where to source one as the only one I can find is on Bayless, but I'm not even sure if that was the right part.

Thanks.

If you're talking about...

is a replacement of the actual strut bearing under the upper spring perch recommended and, if so, where to source one as the only one I can find is on Bayless, but I'm not even sure if that was the right part.

the aluminum cone (I think it's aluminum, anyway...) that the upper strut mount sits immediately on top of, I don't know why you'd need to. There's not really anything to wear out there.

Good time to intall Plaia pivots in there though. Or at least put some grease in there.

Which part in these pics are you worried about?

StrutMountPartsinOrder.jpg

Or maybe you are talking about the upper spring perch or it's bump stop:

StockvsModifiedStrutMountBottom.jpg

Pete

Sounds like you're using the Scorpion upper strut mounting pieces which include a roller bearing assembly similar to the Plaia Pivots people install on the X1/9. I just clean and lube mine when servicing the struts. I don't think you'll find replacements available. The Plaia Pivots are similar, but I don't know if they'll work on the Scorpion unless you use them in conjunction with the X1/9 upper mounting pieces. I actually use the Scorpion parts on my X1/9s...

Yes, Pete, thanks. I am just removing the top nut, strut upper mount, bearing, spring, etc., and re-installing on a new KYB GR2 strut. My last question being, is a replacement of the actual strut bearing under the upper spring perch recommended and, if so, where to source one as the only one I can find is on Bayless, but I'm not even sure if that was the right part.

Thanks.

Thanks, Mark. That's exactly what I was talking about....in Pete's upper pic above, fourth from the left, under that cone are where the needle bearings that I'm talking about.

I'm glad I can just clean and re-grease them, but it's not to reassuring that they can't be replaced easily if they are lost or destroyed. What's the easier option then, use all X1/9 hardware?

Interesting...

Sounds like you're using the Scorpion upper strut mounting pieces which include a roller bearing assembly similar to the Plaia Pivots people install on the X1/9.

I was not aware there was anything like this stock on a Scorpion. Somewhere along the way they were removed from mine. Maybe when some previous owner put Koni Reds on it.

Pete

pardon my ignorance

But this is my first scorpion. What are the part numbers for the KYB gr-2 struts I would need if I want to replace my existing struts, and what changes would I need to make? Thanks,Doug

Easy

The easiest thing and the cheapest (imho) thing to do is to buy a set of GR2's from e-bay for a 81-87 X1/9. Take the hardware off the scorpion struts and transfer it to the new struts. I and others have done this many times, the only difference in the struts are the fronts and it is only the position of the actual shock on the mounts. The mounts themselves are identical spacings. If I can find them some where I will post pics showing a scorpion strut next to an X1/9 GR2.

Warren

Back