Stuck!

budgetzagato

Administrator
Trying to repair manual window lifts and have run into a problem! Seems the P.O. or his mechanic used JB weld or similar to epoxy a handle to the window regulator when the proper handle was not, um, at hand.

Any tips on removal? Can I use a torch and bake it out? The handle needs to come off so I can get the door panel off.

Yep

Hello BudgetZagato,

Epoxy will move with heat applied. You sure you have an adequate clear zone to apply heat?

How about *grinding the pot metal off from the steel spline. Do it in several areas then peel it off. Thus destroying the crank handle....But...removing it. Then just clean up the splines and find a replacement crank handle.

Ten minutes tops :)

*alternate - use of hand rasp

lezesig
'72 X 1/18

Scorched ?

Hello BudgetZagato,

Glad to hear the stubborn crank is now removed. The prior mech-a-nic probably used the epoxy filler to gap fill between the two different diameters. Beautiful....lol

Scorched doorcard say you ?

You do know that we have the coolest upholstery supply shop just a stones throw from your domicile, correct ?

up1w.jpg

up1b.jpg

up2j.jpg

lezesig
'72 X 1/18

-RODGER-

Quanset Hut on Martin it is.

Shared with you a couple of pics from todays work. Saved a couple of panels and made new a couple of panels.

Had seven different textures to choose from the quanset hut. The new lime green padding is cool stuff to work with also.

I splinted one corner on one panel choosing NOT to make new. It wouldn't have been much value added making new there. (However) the two side panels looked like potato chips all bloated and distorted let alone the aged vinyl.

Easy inside work with the trusted upholstery stapler.

lezesig
'72 X 1/18

Sure, No Prob

stpc.jpg

Porter Cable US58

Indespensible tool now. I went for years using the Stanley hand stapler until I finally stepped up to what the pros use.

Can't say enough good about this particular model.

lezesig
'72 X 1/18

Ah, air tools...

Now you're cooking with fire, er, air. How deep are the staples? I ask because many of the staples used by the factory are quite shallow, like 2-3mm.

Back