Talladega Nights, The Ballad of Zora, Kim, and the Yugo Endurance record.

It still bothers me when I see in articles regarding the Yugo as "World's Worst Car". Similarly, the Fiat line "Fix It Again Tony". My experience with the 128 and the Yugo as a racer was a very positive one. I loved the jaw dropping realization of Sprite racers I had finished ahead of when they found out I was racing a bone stock Yugo GVX motor with 70,000- miles that I paid $100 for. I didn't have a single DNF in 30 race weekends that was related to a Fiat/Yugo designed part. I don't think the engineering was bad, at least on the 128, and its derivative, the Yugo. I think that the dealer network, especially for Yugo, created the image of a "bad" car.

Hi Marc!
I too autocrossed a yugo for a few seasons and had an absolute blast. The only breakdown was a clutch disc shedding all it's friction material. I also paid $100 for my yugo.

Your 128 has also seen several seasons of autocross sadly none in 2020. Life changes are upon me and soon that awesome 128 will be for sale.

Hi Marc!
I too autocrossed a yugo for a few seasons and had an absolute blast. The only breakdown was a clutch disc shedding all it's friction material. I also paid $100 for my yugo.

Your 128 has also seen several seasons of autocross sadly none in 2020. Life changes are upon me and soon that awesome 128 will be for sale.
Andy:
All though not in the market (as I already have TWO race cars), let me know when you put up the 128 for sale. It would be a great vintage race car, and we have new club members always looking for good candidates. I'd love to see it come back to the Midwest. Where ever it goes, I'll be happy to pass on it's history from my ownership time.
Best wishes,
Marc

Back