Targa Top Headliners?

It's seems to be very thinly sliced cork, secured by the fabric, but as I am not a 'cork master'. I can't be sure. Felt like cork... :) still think it actually might look fun up there...in the car that's nothing if not a conversation piece. Where I was:

https://www.joann.com/natural-cork-...ZGvhFDLqakCMmbYZ51DdWll5zPdMEG5gaAk1HEALw_wcB
ah. The cork you have when you are not having cork.. "Content: Face: 100% Natural Cork; Middle: 100% Polyurethane; Back 90% Polyester, 10% Rayon" May look corkish but will offer none of the benefits of actual.

ah. The cork you have when you are not having cork.. "Content: Face: 100% Natural Cork; Middle: 100% Polyurethane; Back 90% Polyester, 10% Rayon" May look corkish but will offer none of the benefits of actual.
Don’t really care? It was the ‘look’ I was mentioning it for. Whole lot of serious ‘cork’ people here….lol….

This is an interesting discussion as I was under the impression that the insulation was not cork. My 79 with AC has the factory headliner and at some point I determined that the "insulation" was nothing more than a thin sheet of corrugated cardboard-like material. In any case there are some substantial pieces with rivets that hold the assembly in place so I have not confirmed that.

Because I’ve never seen ‘real’ cork before. lol. You guys are a riot :)
You know how it goes - we are helping :) If you want a cork look, why not use actual cork and get some practical benefit too? And yeah, sometimes being helped is not helpful!

You know how it goes - we are helping :) If you want a cork look, why not use actual cork and get some practical benefit too? And yeah, sometimes being helped is not helpful!
I never refuse help. Need it everyday :) What I’m actually using for the bulk is Kerdi board. That’s why this stuff, being thin and flexible, would wrap around the Kerdi and be decorative, like suede or perforated vinyl. You know how it goes, if some designer put it in a factory Lamborghini, everyone would go ‘oooo, ahhhh’. 🤪. Well, everyone but SuperTopo

Last edited:
This is an interesting discussion as I was under the impression that the insulation was not cork. My 79 with AC has the factory headliner and at some point I determined that the "insulation" was nothing more than a thin sheet of corrugated cardboard-like material. In any case there are some substantial pieces with rivets that hold the assembly in place so I have not confirmed that.
I’d be doing it mainly for aesthetic reasons - the unfinished internal targa top just seems cheapish? Any thermal or sound benefits would be an unexpected bonus…

Ok, I’ve come down from my ‘cork’ high, and am breathing regularly again.
I paid $2 for a sample of the faux-perforated vinyl from Amazon. $20 per yard. It’s this or black suede. Leaning towards the suede just ‘cause it may be a little more posh? Thoughts on this sample swatch are always welcome:

IMG_3039.jpeg
IMG_3040.jpeg

Ok, I’ve come down from my ‘cork’ high, and am breathing regularly again.
I paid $2 for a sample of the faux-perforated vinyl from Amazon. $20 per yard. It’s this or black suede. Leaning towards the suede just ‘cause it may be a little more posh? Thoughts on this sample swatch are always welcome:

View attachment 78674View attachment 78675
If it starts to rain while you are driving, you will have to keep going or run the risk of getting the suede wet.

I'd say the 'perf' material would have more of a "factory-ish" look (generically), while the suede would have more of a "custom" look. So it depends on which way you want to lean. By the way, most faux suede made for automotive applications is water resistant, if not waterproof. Real suede is not.

Back