Targa Top Headliners?

I'm always learn'n... How 'bout taking a few fotos...

of the early '73 - '75 tops and a later '76 and on. top?

I'm sure the difference is SLIGHT but probably enough to be a problem.

You remind me of another story as well... Dick Waldren(d) was trailering an X home from OK to CA when he suddenly noticed that the car was no longer on the trailer... and he couldn't even see it! He gets off at the next off ramp and carefully heads back East when he spots the X in a Rest Stop on his right.

It had come off the trailer, proceeded across the two lanes and through a wide weed covered meridian, across two more opposite lanes and into the rest stop parking lot... into a parking space... next to a family that went nuts as they saw it park and no one was in it!

This occurred on the I-15 between Barstow and Baker CA... HA!

shadow x

classic!!!
guess the young boy had an aversion to coming to cali and leaving the family home.:shock:
mikemo

Off White headliner is on my '78, and it was a factory A/C car. Truck bed liner paint is a good idea (if it doesn't spray too thick).

There are other textured paints out there too, so if anyone's used any of those and want to report results...
Replying to an old thread instead of starting yet another new one :)

Our Targa top has NO headliner, unlike this one found recently on eBay.

If you were thinking of adding headliner material, where would be a good place to start looking, and what properties would be important?

Over at Amazon I’ve found perforated, non-perforated, suade, etc. Has anyone added headliner to their targa top? Noise and heat isolation would be the two best reasons.

Targa Top.jpg

Last edited:
The insulated ones on the 1300's are the models that have factory A/C.
No '74 came with factory AC therefore they were never equipped, so you are in custom install territory.
Never looked into this any further how the factory attached them, perhaps someone else could chime in?

I would take it to an auto upholstery shop and have them put one in. Get a couple of good pics of what they looked like and they should be able to duplicate it. Mine are black perforated vinyl. A fabric one would be nice in my mind.

HI- When I was in school, I had a '75 that had AC, likely factory as it was a clean install and actually worked (but wow was that car slow!). It did not have a headliner. I now have a '78 without AC- again no headliner. That's all I can add.

I would take it to an auto upholstery shop and have them put one in. Get a couple of good pics of what they looked like and they should be able to duplicate it. Mine are black perforated vinyl. A fabric one would be nice in my mind.
Is there a benefit, either with noise or keeping heat out?

Is there a benefit, either with noise or keeping heat out?
I am sure it is minorly quieter, it will absorb sound in the car reflected off the glass and so on. It will help, it will be a minor upgrade.

Fabric. Getting around to this as well. What think you of this material, too swish? I have some left-over Kerdi board, so I'd wrap the fabric around the board and wedge it into place

or perforated vinyl?

https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Upholstery-Fabric-Perforated-Commercial/dp/B07N2WZ24M/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1AXJOEKMFIXQY&keywords=perforated+headliner&qid=1697392697&sprefix=perforated+headliner,aps,149&sr=8-9&th=1

Last edited:
That perforated looks nice.

I've had similar thoughts recently and am thinking I might just glue the vinyl direct to the roof. Thin and light but nice looking

I like the suede look myself. I'm toying with the idea of using a bright red suede for mine, to go with the red seats (think Ferrari F40) and a couple other red accents in the two-tone grey interior.

That perforated looks nice.

I've had similar thoughts recently and am thinking I might just glue the vinyl direct to the roof. Thin and light but nice looking
The Kerdi Board is almost air, as far as weight goes. That way, I can glue the fabric to the board, and attach the board to the targa with 3m interlocking material. Then, it can be easily deconstructed…

I like the suede look myself. I'm toying with the idea of using a bright red suede for mine, to go with the red seats (think Ferrari F40) and a couple other red accents in the two-tone grey interior.
Oh yes! Cork headliner. It almost suits the X19. Seriously, talk me out of it...

1000020287.jpg

You can probably find cork that matches the color of the 74 orange carpet.
Kinda does already - Earth tone? C’mon, if those guys at Bertone matched Kermit green and orange, cork would have been a no-brainer for them if it had been available in rolls….

Kinda does already - Earth tone? C’mon, if those guys at Bertone matched Kermit green and orange, cork would have been a no-brainer for them if it had been available in rolls….
Even back then I'm pretty sure you could get it in sheets. In some applications it is used as floor underlayment so there are decent sized ones available.

I had to buy some 4mm cork to fix the brakes on an open reel tape deck. The cheapest place I found was zoro.com. The smallest size was 2' X 4' but only about $5 with shipping. I only needed a few square inches so I've got a lifetime supply now. I recall the color and grain size was close to the X carpet color and texture. I never thought about using it as X top insulation but it may do well at controlling temperature and noise. These days I only drive the X when I don't need a top.

Last edited:
In the past various auto manufacturers have offered all sorts of unusual materials in certain models. Some of it was rather bizarre but others were actually very cool, despite being extremely unconventional. I'm all for doing something different from the norm when it comes to car building. :)

Back