Tech articles for Graversen, Dondi, etc?

Grandpa Jones

Daily Driver
Anyone have links to detailed articles on the fast X race cars?

My searches aren't turning up
much, lots of cool race videos
though

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:
Well, lots of these guys keep their go fast ideas and setups a secret for a reason! ;) Dave, tell us about what you want to do first, and then we can probably point you in the right direction. Bigger engine, bike engine, what type of racing? Budgets? Turbo, no turbo, tub frame, etc... Lots of options and all of them can go very fast.

I just like race vehicles! Would like to get a peek under the body panels, see the suspension and drivetrain choices the builders made.

Johannes Graversens Exxe is my favorite. Page is in Danish but most web browsers can translate it.
https://www.graversenautoteknik.dk/bilen

1635532393260.jpeg

1635532432734.jpeg

Turbo or not... 370 HP out of a 1.5 is very impressive!
Agreed. Turbos can make big power. With the advancements in engine management, turbo technology, and other factors they can also be reliable (if done right). Several newer factory turbo engines are getting well over 300HP from a stock production four cylinder. Mercedes offers a 2.0 with 450 HP (and full warranty) in a normal street model.

It's more like 1.4l and old school injection. It has been running for many years so it seems durable as well.
I noticed that mechanical injection. That surprised me. He must really have it dialed in to make it last long.

I think what's most impressive about this motor is that (while he certainly had some teething problems) he started with an old school 1500 block, and manages to get that sort of power "reliably". You often hear of race car builders creating ridiculous amount of power (relative to engine displacement), but to get that high a specific output and not be rebuilding the motor every race or every other weekend, is something else.

I think what's most impressive about this motor is that (while he certainly had some teething problems) he started with an old school 1500 block,
Yes, that what I appreciate the most with this build. This is still a true X1/9 with a Lampredi SOHC. Swapping the engine for an Alfa, K20 etc is an easier route to gain power but would make the car a mongrel in a way.
Graversen is a great engine builder and mechanics. And also worth mentioning, an excellent driver.

I think what's most impressive about this motor is that (while he certainly had some teething problems) he started with an old school 1500 block, and manages to get that sort of power "reliably". You often hear of race car builders creating ridiculous amount of power (relative to engine displacement), but to get that high a specific output and not be rebuilding the motor every race or every other weekend, is something else.
I'm not surprised at all really. The lower end of the SOHC is a VERY robust piece. The only real problem that would have to be overcome is the head gasket. And that technology does exist.

I should note that most real race shops and racecar builders are not bloggers or youtubers. It takes a lot of time to build cars and do the documentation for a blog or compile and edit videos. That's not what racecar builders do. So I am not surprised at all that there is no build info on those cars.

I have done some documentation of my MR2 build and it takes a lot of time that I would rather spend on the car. Also, it also results in lots of conversation and people asking questions or questioning (second guessing) what you do and how you do it. While its fun to talk cars having somebody, who has little knowledge of the subject, tell me I am "doing it wrong" and argue with me about my explanation, just isn't worth my time. :(

I bet the crazy 420hp Italian UT builds won't hold up for a very long time.
I was headquartered in Los Angeles when Oldsmobile Division decided to showcase the Quad-4 engine in a land speed record car called the Aerotech. All types of engineers at GM try to jump on the bandwagon for engine development credit, but the actual designer/builder was Jim Fueling who's shop was then located in Ventura, CA. I was lucky enough to see the build as it progressed, and saw a dyno session where the 2.0L produced 900+hp. He also designed the "BE" Olds 4 cylinder that produced 1,200+hp from a 1.2L as well as their 8 cylinder Indy engine. How long did the Quad-4 hold up? They were designed to make it through one land speed trial run. They were rebuilt after each dyno run too, so the answer in this case was only long enough to get the job done and not one second more......

Yes, that's the way it is. I need to replace the piston etc on my 100cc 34hp gokart engine every 8 hours. That's the price for revving 24k rpm.

I'd like to know what transmission he has on that and why it doesn't explode! :)
It's a 6 Speed sequential box. Probably a Bacci Romano RC-series. Not in my budget ☺️.
I'd like to know what transmission he has on that and why it doesn't explode! :)

Back