Tech Info Required Please

allansieben

X1/9 Time
Hello my Fellow Scorpion Enthusiasts,
I hope everyone is staying well and practicing their constitutional rights! :)

I have a technical question for those of you who may have experienced failure with your reverse lights. I'm still conducting research hence why I'm posting this.

I have already determined that the gearbox for the Montecarlo and Scorpion are slightly different animals in that the Scorpion transmission has two top mounted switches near the linkage that serve two functions. The switch closest to the firewall is a multi function that turns on the reverse lights when reverse is engaged while the other function activates vapor extraction from the charcoal canister when the car is in 5th gear. Does this sound correct so far?

The lower switch has to do with emissions also, yet I'n not sure for what exactly. Since the Montecarlo didn't have emissions like North America, the reverse switch from TMH will not function for the Scorpion. In fact, I discovered that the back up lights stay on all the time until you place your gear lever into 5th gear. Strange.

Other than finding the correct upper switch for the Scorpion, has anybody found another solution to get your back up lights to function properly?
Does anyone have access to the proper switch or know where I might obtain one?

I am scratching my head on this one...would appreciate any help and information please. Please note that all my emission equipment have been permanently removed years ago by the previous owner as is not necessary to have installed here in BC for a car of this age.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,
Allan

Last edited:
Hi Allan, my last Scorpion I used a two prong switch from Midwest Bayless without any issues. I believe it is the same switch as an X1/9

Hi Allan, my last Scorpion I used a two prong switch from Midwest Bayless without any issues. I believe it is the same switch as an X1/9
Wow!! Really? Is it that simple? I do appreciate the tip and I have access to these switches as I have one in my X1/9.
Thanks a whole bunch!

The white wire is the one for the reverse lights. The other side will need to be power. The other wires are for the emissions and can be left unused.

The white wire is the one for the reverse lights. The other side will need to be power. The other wires are for the emissions and can be left unused.
I was able to take an X1/9 switch out of a 5 speed gearbox and the switch is much thicker than the Scorpion switch. Are you able to provide more details on the switch you purchase from Midwest Bayless please?

Thanks,
Allan

Sorry Allan, I was wrong. It was not a X1/9 switch but a Beta one. I confirmed this by looking through my past orders with Midwest.
I ordered a Beta switch on 08/03/2016. Sorry for steering you wrong.

82348206Reverse Light Switch (Lancia Scorpion, Beta All) - NEW-82348206---------1$28.79

Back