Technical assistance needed for 1971 Fiat 850 Sport

Pat

True Classic
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what this round canister does, and where the hoses are suppose to go? There is a bigger hose on the bottom that has been cut off and a small hose fitting on top, but there is no apparent place where I am missing these two hoses.

upload_2017-11-22_18-18-39.png
\
Thanks,
Pat

Is it a charcoal canister with the fat hose going to the gas tank and the hose on top going to the carb airfilter?

This is the charcoal canister for the smog/emissions system used on the later 850's. The small hose on top connects to a port on the face of the intake manifold, just below the throttle linkage. The fat hose on the bottom goes across the inner face of the rear body panel & connects to a port on the exhaust pre-heater unit (bolted on top of the exhaust pipes). The small hose on the bottom of the canister connects to the white (yellowed by now) plastic vapor valve located at the top/front/right corner of the engine bay (underneath the sheetmetal corner brace).

Here's a diagram:

903evapsys.jpg

Seeing as 850's are usually exempt from emissions inspections nowadays, most folks just tear all of this stuff out to de-clutter the engine bay. ;)

Oops, looks like I am missing the pre-heat assembly that goes to the air cleaner and to the charcoal canister. If those aren't important, I'll go ahead and remove the canister and then block the hose just before the plastic vapor lock and one end of the 'Y' connector that feeds it. The other end of the 'Y' goes inside the body to where the gas tank is. I hope that hose never springs a leak as I would image it is difficult to get to.
There are two ports below the throttle linkage which have been connected together already, so that issue is fixed.

Thanks so much for the help!

Back