Tell me what you think

avusblue98

True Classic
Story is, this 86 was bought salvage title out of AZ, where it was apparently in some sort of mechanic's lien situation. 22k original miles, alleged. Odometer doesn't look jiggy to me. Seems plausible. Drives very well, shifts clean and crisp. Brakes don't work really, but comes with a new m/c! Paint looks very good, no dings. Front bumper has taken a hit on the right side, pushed in, inner fender on right has a slight ridge, indication of that hit. Probably take a grand at a body shop to straighten that out. Interior is complete toast, befitting the AZ sun. Windshield frame has a lot of rust at the bottom, no other rust seen. What do you think it's worth?

Attachments

• 20200517_135919.jpg
    20200517_135919.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 20200517_135746.jpg
    20200517_135746.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200517_133346.jpg
    20200517_133346.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 133
  • 20200517_133254.jpg
    20200517_133254.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 129
I don't want to be too harsh, but the rust around the windshield implies a windshield removal, some care to the rust underneath and probably some welding. As long as the dash is removed (required to do this job) and new one (dash) make sense. Then some paint is in the cards. Unless I could get that car at a really good price, I would prefer to start with one without rust around the windshield.

Also, the salvage title remove some value to the car. A good interior is hard to find and you have to take care of the bumper tucked in.The new MC and the mushy brakes probably just mean some more bleeding is required.

I don't want to be too harsh, but the rust around the windshield implies a windshield removal, some care to the rust underneath and probably some welding. As long as the dash is removed (required to do this job) and new one (dash) make sense. Then some paint is in the cards. Unless I could get that car at a really good price, I would prefer to start with one without rust around the windshield.

Also, the salvage title remove some value to the car. A good interior is hard to find and you have to take care of the bumper tucked in.The new MC and the mushy brakes probably just mean some more bleeding is required.
Not too harsh at all, thanks. The dash is badly cracked regardless. Seller's asking $4,900, but after seeing it I think it could require that much again.

That windshield rust is a killer. I expected to read $1500. For that price you can get a car someone has lost interest in, or spent too much money repairing rust and realized they have not touched the engine or interior.

The windshield rust doesn’t look too bad, it will need the windshield out to properly fix it.

The overall paint is odd. There should be a decal stripe at the joint of the upper and lower color. It suggests a fair amount of repainting has occurred in the past. The wrinkle in right wheel house forward of the strut is concerning.

The right door gap is inconsistent in the pic along the back edge or so it appears.

Obviously the dash is done but although sun bleached the door panel visible doesn’t look too bad.

I wouldn’t pay 4900.

The windshield rust doesn’t look too bad, it will need the windshield out to properly fix it.

The overall paint is odd. There should be a decal stripe at the joint of the upper and lower color. It suggests a fair amount of repainting has occurred in the past. The wrinkle in right wheel house forward of the strut is concerning.

The right door gap is inconsistent in the pic along the back edge or so it appears.

Obviously the dash is done but although sun bleached the door panel visible doesn’t look too bad.

I wouldn’t pay 4900.

Trying to get another windshield pic to post.

Attachments

• 20200517_133307.jpg
    20200517_133307.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200517_133307.jpg
    20200517_133307.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 71

I wouldn’t pay 4900.
Good eye - yes the right door doesn't seem to hang right, hard to close. The gold stripe was pulled off - story is he had a dent fixed in the left rear bumper and couldn't get it matched. Has left a ridge in the paint all around. The wrinkle means frame straightening in a jig I imagine.

Trying to get another windshield pic to post.
It's like an iceberg. What you can see is nothing. A lot more is hiding beneath. The quarter window help support some of the windshield. A simple test is to open both doors and remove the targa top. If the windshield assembly is solid, you may be fine, but if you could pull it and push it 1/2" or 1", prepare to do some extensive repairs. Those pics are way too much for my taste.

I made some comments on the same subject in an earlier thread.

Look at the pics of my car (the copper car). There was a lot less rust around the windshield than in your pic.

I hate to say it but that car looks like a great donor. I would LOVE to build a tube chassis for that car and put in some rev happy motor. I would be afraid it would cost too much to bring it back. The more I look at the pics, the more nervous I would feel.

I take it back, the rust around the windshield looks to be unfortunately worse than I would have thought. The two areas shown both look like problematic rust, the rightmost area definitely has some holes. Quite unfortunate.

The door being pushed back doesn’t bode well for the car.

You ll be surprised how much rust can be found right here.😬

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-21-16-56-50.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-21-16-56-50.png
    501.6 KB · Views: 78
Back