Temp gauge rising

I have the one Midwest sells, it is a quality unit. I have also heard good things from users on the ones VickAuto sells.

Either one will cool better than an new OE one and certainly better than a used original.

I would suggest keeping the original, finding a radiator shop and having it redone. The OE units are very high quality and a redone one should be good for a long time if you ever have your new one fail

I have two of the MWB radiators. One installed, one on the shelf for the future. The one I have installed changed my 85X from hot blooded to a cool d00d. Even in the summer here in STL where we get the heat and humidity.

I have no experience with the Vicks unit, I am sure someone will let you know how they work.

One of my X's came with an aluminum rad from one of the vendors you mentioned. The seller of the car told me he bought it from them about a year ago, there is a receipt from them for it in the paperwork that matches that time frame, and its identical to that vendor's pictures/description exactly, so I have no reason to think it is not from there. Unfortunately it has two leaks at the tank seams (welds), a broken mounting stud, a bleeder vent that isn't very good, and of the two electric fans that came with it one is non-op and the other does not draw much air volume. However it does cool very well, after installing a stock fan in place of the non-op one and refilling the coolant level after it leaks out. But very difficult to get it bled with its bleeder valve.

I am not bashing any vendors nor their products, simply reporting what I have found for this particular item. And this one may not be representative of other rads from there; it could be a lemon or may have been damaged by the prior owner, or who knows? If you are considering buying an aluminum rad from one of the above mentioned vendors, and wish to know where this one came from, send me a private message and I will reply discretely.

All that being said, I am a proponent of aluminum rads for increased cooling efficiency...something these cars can use.
Anyone remember the Scirocco rad mod, before the vendors started producing aluminum replacements? Can't beat $40 for a new rad with much greater capacity than stock.

Yes the Scirocco radiator is a very good alternative conversion, the biggest negative is the crossover of the hoses but doable nonetheless.

The following are likely the definitive threads on the Scirocco radiator conversion, one by Pete Whitstone:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/yet-another-vw-scirocco-radiator-story.9992/

And this one by Bill Discher aka RacerX:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-vdub-radiator-install.7202/#post-45466

As an aside, they both used the 16v Scirocco non AC radiator which has a port off the side and a downward angled cooled outlet which may be useful:
Behr Radiator; 675mm Core with Angled Lower Outlet
P/N: 191121251CZ Behr
Cross References: 376713311 or 025011 or 376713314
Other part numbers to search under VW Radiator 652621 191121251C

Currently 85 bucks delivered on Ebay for the 191121251C

Last edited:
I’ve been browsing new rads. I’ve seen one aluminum one from vikauto.
I think Midwest bayless has one too.
Any recommendations?
Anyone used these units?

I shelled out for the MWB aluminum one last year. Replaced the whole cooling system while I was at it too . . . pump, hoses, thermostat, sensors, belt, etc. Went from symptoms exactly like yours to running almost too cool even in 80+ degree weather.

I’ve been browsing new rads. I’ve seen one aluminum one from vikauto.
I think Midwest bayless has one too.
Any recommendations?
Anyone used these units?

I have a rad in my shop that has a recent steel re-core with an extra row added. It worked very well and also is heavy. I replaced it with an aluminum one, which is excellent. It was made in a group production run set up by Bob Grash. I believe these rads were the model for the one offered by Midwest Bayless.

I am in Kitchener, and you can have the re-cored rad with the extra row it if you want it.

Paul Davock

As I noted here recently, I have the Vick's OEM-style aluminum radiator plus a Stant Superstat. Staring at the temperature gauge is now only a force of habit, not a necessity.93F here Friday. Even stop and go, ascending 500 ft, and running AC it stayed on target. I came out of a store a couple of times to get something from the trunk and the carb cooling fan was running both times. Fired right up and stayed on target all the way back in stop and go.

PaulD, thank you for the offer. Good to know there’s a friend close by. I think I’m going to hold out for the aluminum rad and opt to have my old one recorred as knead suggested.
Thanks everyone for your input.

The issue with a recorre is finding the correct tube section for the header tanks. I have heard from others that this material is no longer available.
So a new aluminum Rad may be the only choice.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Midwest-Bayless is usually at FFO. The MWB open house is June 23rd in Columbus.

They will be there in Orlando but they don’t often bring lots of parts. Especially a thousand miles.

Consider stopping at Columbus on your way and doing the install there or pay for it and pick it up in Orlando.

Karl

This year I won’t be bringing my car as my family and I are flying down....silly question, by “pay for it and pick it up in Florida” do you mean order from MWB and have them bring it to Florida?

This year I won’t be bringing my car as my family and I are flying down....silly question, by “pay for it and pick it up in Florida” do you mean order from MWB and have them bring it to Florida?

Yes but not if you are flying...I wouldn’t put a box with a delicate radiator into an aircraft hold.

Could it be as simple as the car needing a shot of rhythm and blues?

Sorry... a good radiator sounds like a wise investment.

Back