Terrible noise when I step on the clutch pedal

carl

True Classic
At first I thought it was the starter failing to disengage, a very sheet metal, squealing type of noise only when I step on the clutch pedal. Seems to shift fine on jack stands. Worked fine when I drove the red X from the street to the garage with no noise and all components are from that car.

Again, only makes this horrible noise when I step on the clutch with the motor running.

aaargh

I know about that issue but the TO bearing wasn't touched from when it was in the rat until I installed the trans in the Fatrat. Went and tried again and with the motor running and pushing on the clutch pedal there is no noise through the free motion of the clutch pedal but starts as soon as resistance is felt and the noise does not change even when pushing the pedal all the way in. I assume it's something with the throw out bearing.

Amazing how this just totally took the wind out of my sails. The thought of lowering the motor and pulling the trans just mentally trashed me. I'll get my drive going again in a day or so. Just afraid I'll go through all this and find nothing obvious...but as my son says "just let future carl worry about it".

If the engine and transmission were separated for any length of time, moisture from the atmosphere may have invaded the T/O bearing.

Most likely the clutch throwout bearing, but crankshaft thrust bearing is a longer shot possibility as well.

I can't say if this could even be related or not. But when I was playing around with my trans (out of the car), the little "clip" that holds the T.O. bearing on (see pic below) kept falling off. Sort of a lack-luster attachment mechanism. I have not reinstalled anything yet, but it seems to me that clip could easily fall off while wrestling to get the engine and trans back together and in the car. I wonder if something like that could cause this sort of problem?
4489.jpg

I can't say if this could even be related or not. But when I was playing around with my trans (out of the car), the little "clip" that holds the T.O. bearing on (see pic below) kept falling off. Sort of a lack-luster attachment mechanism. I have not reinstalled anything yet, but it seems to me that clip could easily fall off while wrestling to get the engine and trans back together and in the car. I wonder if something like that could cause this sort of problem?
View attachment 21400

There are two of them. Your post kinda read like you only had one, maybe that's why it kept falling off?

crankshaft thrust bearing is a longer shot possibility as well.
This is what prompted my engine refresh in 2015; I thought the clutch was going out when it started to make noise and lose revs when depressed. The test for this is to try to push and pull the crankshaft; Carl should be able to check for this from the pulley on the crank; my crank moved an eighth of an inch. I found one thrust washer under the rear main seal carrier (mangled) and the other in the pan.

Those clips are an incredibly poor design and I hate them. You never really know if they are on all the way.

There are two of them. Your post kinda read like you only had one, maybe that's why it kept falling off?
You're right, poorly worded. I was referring to both, but one of the two seemed to fall off more. Likely it is too loose and needs to be replaced. The point was to check if that could have happened to Carl.

Working on getting the trans out and honestly I see no advantage to just removing the trans with the engine in place. I few more items to undo and I can remove the whole drivetrain.

Working on getting the trans out and honestly I see no advantage to just removing the trans with the engine in place. I few more items to undo and I can remove the whole drivetrain.
As long as you have tools capable of lifting and lowering the entire lump (a comealong or chain hoist mounted to an overhead joist is fine) there is indeed a lot to be said for dropping the whole thing. On a 74 the muffler has to come out either way, so the only big extra step is draining the coolant.

if that car had been sitting for a long time the flywheel could have rusted over, if So a few starts/stop's using the clutch would clean it off.

IMG_0901[1].JPG
IMG_0899[1].JPG

Here are pics of the throw out bearing. It's a plastic housing with no clips, just a locking tab on the bottom and nothing on the top. it looks wobbly on the one photo because it is just pushed out onto the spline area rather than the solid shaft. I see no damage and the bearing spins free. It says SKF on the body. Worked fine on the red X. I see nothing that would be making any noise. In any event I'll put a more traditional clip type TO bearing on in it's place.

Comments/observations?

Back