Tesla Truck...

fastx19

Administrator
So the Tesla truck was relieved today, and the design is certainly different.

What I find really interesting is how many people are just flaming it. However, these are the same people who complain we are not living in the future and/or Blade Runner was supposed to be this year.

Well people, you wanted a futuristic car, er... truck, here it is.

For me, would I buy it? Sure, I live in remote Arizona on 80 acres of land, completely off grid. I have more than enough solar to charge it, so for me, I would have 0 cost in operating other than normal wear and tear items. The range works for me as well as the towing capability.

So what are your thoughts? Is it an Edsel or not?

You mean this thing? O gawd, could any vehicle be more fugly??? I wouldn't be caught dead towing our travel trailer with that! I question if it's really suitable for towing heavier trailers and can't imagine towing a fifth wheel with it. I couldn't find specs on things like axle rating, receiver rating, wheelbase, wheels/tires, etc. There seems to be a lot of squat in the rear with just an ATV in it. Dunno....

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1574398557482-teslatruck8.jpg

Surprised no one has mentioned the rear seat headroom. You'd best be headless to sit back there. And yes, it is horribly fugly. Looks like a 1960's attempt at a "futuristic" vehicle.

Now imagine how much fun you would have once you add the sound from the Jettson's flying car to it. I would drive that bad boy up and down the block! ;) The squat with the ATV is interesting and well as what the rear headroom is like. However, I really hated the Ram trucks when they first came out in the 90's with the Semi truck look, now I own one, so go figure.

Strictly from a marketing perspective I find it funny they use a quad in the bed to advertise a "futuristic" vehicle. Quads have long since been replaced by the 'side-by-sides'.

I won't even comment on the obvious (its style). o_O Makes me wonder if the guys at Tesla have been experimenting with electricity as some sort of shock therapy?

8d0963dd4d25.jpg

They could name it the Tesla Azztek.
:)
So you're saying Pontiac is the one that was truly ahead of its time?

As for Tesla styling in general, I've always found all of their models lacking something. And oddly, for the most part the aftermarket custom styling trends for them have been very conservative, with only minor trim blackout, etc.

After looking at this truck I can say that the Azzteck looks rather nice in comparison. Until now I thought of the Azzteck as the most ugly vehicle that was mass produced. What time and stupidity does to my perception is amazing.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

TonyK,

From your posts I think you are highly intelligent and am humbled by your abilities. I understand time, so I have to ask who's stupidity? I am old enough to remember when FIAT had an add for the 850 spider that said, "It cost just as much to design an ugly car as a beautiful one". LOL

PS

I have been drinking a bottle of wine and it still doesn't look any better.

Last edited:
I am going to break from the pack and say, "hell yeah," on this design. This vehicle is a bold step towards the future. From the video I saw of it this morning, it has a roomy passenger compartment for six adults, stainless steel body, glass roof, motorized bed cover, self extending tailgate ramp, the quad is a Tesla electric quad BTW, and I'll wager that "squat" is the truck's suspension changing attitude to further ease ramp approach angle.

I don't believe electric vehicles should imitate ICE vehicles to pander to the sensitive. I think they should point to the future and say this is where we're headed. If I didn't already have a good truck that I got for a steal at $6,000, I would be putting in an order as fast as I could (especially at the price point of $36K?!). Get rid of all the polluting bars of soap that people commute in. (If I had a commute I'd easily choose electric.) Leave the cool old cars and motorcyclists for enthusiasts like us to enjoy occasionally.

For that matter with electric motorcycle design I think this bike is quite Star Trek(ish) in its execution as well:
https://www.bikeexif.com/bst-hypertek-electric-motorcycle

And I think that the Lancia Scorpion looks like a freakin' spaceship too...:D

On tonight's local news they showed a clip from the reveal of this truck. Part of the demonstration was to show that the windows are unbreakable. The Tesla rep picked up a wrench and tapped on the drivers window...it broke. He paused in embarrassment, then tried again on the rear passenger window...it also broke. Hummm, the future doesn't look so bright to me.

So what happens when you take your electric quad in your electric truck out to the desert for a day of fun, and realize the battery has gone dead? Perhaps the whole reason for a truck is so there is a space big enough for a REALLY LONG extension cord?

TonyK,

From your posts I think you are highly intelligent and am humbled by your abilities. I understand time, so I have to ask who's stupidity? I am old enough to remember when FIAT had an add for the 850 spider that said, "It cost just as much to design an ugly car as a beautiful one". LOL

PS

I have been drinking a bottle of wine and it still doesn't look any better.

The stupidity...theirs. With all of the tools for market research they could have done better. Now let's see that new truck mud bogging in Alabama.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

So what happens when you take your electric quad in your electric truck out to the desert for a day of fun, and realize the battery has gone dead? Perhaps the whole reason for a truck is so there is a space big enough for a REALLY LONG extension cord?

If you live in California, you put your backup gas powered generator in the truck bed before going into the desert. That way you can charge up again.

So the Tesla truck was relieved today, and the design is certainly different.

What I find really interesting is how many people are just flaming it. However, these are the same people who complain we are not living in the future and/or Blade Runner was supposed to be this year.

Well people, you wanted a futuristic car, er... truck, here it is.

For me, would I buy it? Sure, I live in remote Arizona on 80 acres of land, completely off grid. I have more than enough solar to charge it, so for me, I would have 0 cost in operating other than normal wear and tear items. The range works for me as well as the towing capability.

So what are your thoughts? Is it an Edsel or not?

I dunno, kind of a "pot-calling-the-kettle-black" situation when people with X1/9s and Scorpions are panning the styling of a wedge-shaped truck-like vehicle! (LOL--just kidding!) I don't like this look, but I don't like the look of any current pickups---the fronts all look like, and are as big as, garage doors!

Thought #1: Marcello Gandini is still around, still working, and has a track record of designing ground-breaking trucks, too!!!.....Musk couldn't at least shoot him an email?

Thought #2: What, they only have sheet metal brakes at Tesla? They should buy an English wheel already.

Thought #3: If you want that form factor for a light duty pickup, Honda is already miles ahead with their Ridgeline, and I have to believe that Honda could create a Ridgeline with a Tesla drivetrain better than Tesla could.

Thought #4: [Echoing others] Is that the new Marie Antoinette-inspired back seat?

Honda is already miles ahead with their Ridgeline
When I saw the Tesla pic I thought of the Honda truck as well. Similar unibody, small bed, angular, weak looking, impractical design. But if I had to choose, I think I'd go with Honda's version. And I would not be surprised if Honda offers a electric version of it...or maybe they already do? As the saying goes, "don't know, don't care".

By the way, having a suspension that lowers the rear to allow easier loading is certainly nothing new. But it is a nice feature. And I'm a fan of air suspensions in general.

Generally speaking I do not believe electric vehicles are practical yet. Maybe one day. Not that the archaic internal combustion engine is the best choice, but so far it is still better than electric in my opinion. However I applaud the efforts to improve our environment. Although, electricity still has to come from somewhere. And it's my understanding the vast majority of it in America is from burning or nuclear or other harmful sources, so is it really that much better? [Intentionally opening things up for further debate, we haven't had enough "which oil is best" controversies lately]

Musks's net personal worth went down $770 million after the reveal. Ouch. Not a good launch, lol... Maybe instead he should launch the truck into orbit and fuggedaboutit. :rolleyes:

Back in the 70s Bertone came up with their version of bizzare-looking with the Lancia Stratos Zero concept car. But then it was morphed into the Lancia Stratos which is an amazing looking car.

upload_2019-11-23_12-35-55.jpeg
images

Musks's net personal worth went down $770 million after the reveal.
Wow! Total failure. However what are the odds enough people will jump on it anyway and he will still make a fortune from the truck? I could potentially see a niche market just because it is weird and electric.

Back