Test drove 2012 Abarth at a local dealer

Kevin Channer

True Classic
My casual search for a used Abarth continues. I test drove a 2012 Abarth today, 26k miles, leather, and sunroof per my desires. Priced at $9999. The car drives well, interior and exterior is tidy. Full muffler delete (loud). One owner. I was going to offer $9,500, but I noticed a little oil sheen underneath on the engine. After the test drive I ran my finger down a seam that appears to separate the engine from the trans and came up with a fresh smear of oil. Its light oil, engine? trans? but definitely an oil leak. I brought it dealers attention, he is going to have it checked out and get back to me. My instincts say it is not a simple fix, probably a no go for this car. Another one at a local dealer: 2012 with 47K miles looked go online but in person it was beat up, several scratches, dings, steering wheel airbag cover came off, passenger window of track, seats very faded, carpets worn. Front support had visible alignment marks. "Clean Carfax"

A common issue with the 500s, regardless of Abarth or regular, is the rear main seal. I don’t know the difficulty of replacing it. I would think its out of warranty from Fiat.

I am not a fan of the exhaust sound of the Abarth, it sounds like a tractor to me, putting at least the Abarth muffler on would help. I think they need a resonator but thats me.

On that other one, clean Carfax indeed...

Carfax has about zero real world value due the limitations of paper work -vs- who did the work, how the work was done, what parts were used.

What really matters is the skill and competence and ability of the individual doing any wrencher work on any moto.

How was said work done. Was the work done with Narry -A- Care as rapidly as possible or was the work with with the care, precision, skill-knowledge-wisdom similar to a brain surgeon with decades of experience?

What parts were actually used? OEM, lowest cost aftermarket of unknown origins, then where the absolute correct part used?

IMO, Carfax is a total and utter scam in every way imaginable specifically designed to fleece moto buyers out of their $ and install a false sense of security., much like Faux News.

Bernice

"Clean Carfax"

Yep - Kevin, as you know I still have my leak. I wish it was the rear main seal, but it's in the input shaft seal on mine (which means that the clutch may be getting wet with fluid). I did find a clutch kit on Rock Auto and will change the seal next spring. My rear main was already done (wish they did the transmission at the same time!). Also, Redline now sells a transmission fluid that's compatible with the 500, which is MT-LV. I've already bought some. Will try that out next spring.

They're fun cars. Mine is at 134K kms now ~84K miles, and the interior is really holding up well. The seats are in great shape (all black leather) and so is the steering wheel. The guy who owned it before me really took care of it that way.

Back