That Factory Bright Blue Lancia Stratos Color

Longitudinal

True Classic
This worked well when I did it for the "Verde Chiaro" Green, so maybe it works for this. What are the name and code of the electric blue on the Lancia Stratos? Was it a solid color, or did it have metallic or pearl in it? Apparently, VW has a "stratos blue" also, and it clogs up my search results when I go googling.

I really like this color. I think I like it more than the green.
Blue Stratos.jpg

Last edited:
Might be "Azzurro Mittelblau" #215 (1971-73) or "Azzurro Celeste" #251 (1977 Lancia Montecarlo), both solid pastel with no pearl or metallic.

Here's a good reference:

Last edited:
Might be "Azzurro Mittelblau" #215 (1971-73) or "Azzurro Celeste" #251 (1977 Lancia Montecarlo), both solid pastel with no pearl or metallic.

I came across that page as well. Those two blues appear to be so similar. I wish I could find a way to search for model-specific colors to narrow it down. It's probably out there somewhere, but I haven't found it.

I think it's azzurro chiaro to be honest. Aka Azzurro Stratos.

Neither celeste or mittelblau.

I think it's azzurro chiaro to be honest. Aka Azzurro Stratos.

Neither celeste or mittelblau.

Oh great, a third contender.

I'm not suggesting that this is an definitive gauge, but google image searching "azzurro chiaro lancia" returns fewer images of blue Stratos cars than does searching "azzurro mittelblau Lancia."

well not exactly..absurd is "assurdo" (from latin absurdus) not "azzurro", that comes from an arab word that indicates the lapis lazuli stone

Ah, OK. I had entered "assurro" into google translate to compare results to "azzurro" in order to determine which was the correct spelling. "Assurro" returned "absurd," and I believed the result. Now, entering "absurd" and translating to Italian, I get "assurdo." I guess google was giving me a translation based on the assumption that I was misspelling.

It almost looks like the color my 128 is... Unfortunately, I didn't paint it that color so I don't know what it is...😬View attachment 64733

That does look very similar, if not the same. I am not very good with colors in general. I'm not color-blind, but I am not good at identifying one color from a lineup of similar colors. I am also not good at color coordination. But I do know that that blue looks great with gold wheels.

I agree with Karl's suggestions of Lancia 251 and 215 as likely candidates. Strato's number 445 was that color, but the adverts from when it was sold do not list the paint code. The Sothebys advert shows a pair of id tags on the body, but they are a little blurry (to me) and I can't see if one has a paint code http://media.rmsothebys.com/digitalcatalogs/2015/lf15/html5/index.html#

A fellow on ferrarichat has one that color, but he has not posted in over a year, so I don't know if PMing him would get a result.

In a hilarious testimony to how little has been published about this light blue, THIS THREAD is one of the first three or four results in every google search (actually, DuckDuckGo for me) that I have attempted on the subject.

I thought this was interesting for the complimentary colors etc. I've always liked the gold coffin-spoke wheels that are often found on Stratos'. I guess the split-complimentary palette confirms that.

This ad mentions that the car is indeed Azzurro but does not confirm a color code.

Back