The 2400 mile ADVENTURE to buy my next 1974 X1/9 (WARNING - LONG READ & LOTS OF IMAGES):

No worries, if you have any questions that might seem tough to ask in a public forum, you can always private message me here.
Hey mr Zonker it’s Davina . Hope this finds you well . The bleeder you speak of to use to clean out gas tank out is one of the same of v brake bleeder? Correct? Best Regards, Davina thank you

Hey mr Zonker it’s Davina . Hope this finds you well . The bleeder you speak of to use to clean out gas tank out is one of the same of v brake bleeder? Correct? Best Regards, Davina thank you
Yep a vacuum brake bleeder. Any gas I pulled out I could inspect for rust and sediment in the bleeder canister.

Thank you . Like this ?

Attachments

• 3E48D072-ECE3-44D7-89C4-7EC0D4D458DB.jpeg
    3E48D072-ECE3-44D7-89C4-7EC0D4D458DB.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 75
Don’t hesitate to post any question on the workshop forum related to your car. We have all been a ‘newbie’ at some point on these cars. We don’t mind answering questions or vectoring you to the right answer. I would strongly suggest buying a few manuals to assist with your repairs. The Haynes manual is a good one with great illustrations, it may not have all the correct answers due to being produced in England for an EU car but it does cover how to get it apart and back together very well. The factory manual is available here on the WIKI and also can be had from another website called MiraFiori.com if you become a member (just signup, no fees).

Again post up a question and you will enjoy the benefit of many members experience in helping you fix up your X.
’’
Yep that's the one
I keep looking to you for reassurance BC I need to quit asking non-x-1/19 owners for input ( well, mostly I don’t have to ask 🙄) I don’t like using silly faces but that one fits my comment. Grateful & blessed,Best Regards.

I keep looking to you for reassurance BC I need to quit asking non-x-1/19 owners for input ( well, mostly I don’t have to ask 🙄) I don’t like using silly faces but that one fits my comment. Grateful & blessed,Best Regards.
Hi again mr Zonker, what size battery can I use ( cheapest as well) for car & will these tires fit . 155 80 R 13 I’m looking to keep tires stock or as close to stock as I can . Thank you ! Best Regards

Hi again mr Zonker, what size battery can I use ( cheapest as well) for car & will these tires fit . 155 80 R 13 I’m looking to keep tires stock or as close to stock as I can . Thank you ! Best Regards
155R 13 will work fine on 74-78 4 1/2" wide wheels. If you have 5" wide wheels (which were standard from 1979-on, you can also use 175/70R13 which are the same overall diameter at 155R13.

I went with a Exide group 86 battery from Home Depot. This is a little shorter height and lighter weight than the original group 24 battery. Also, the stock battery clamp and plastic cover fit perfectly with this size. Battery output is also more than enough, at 550CCA.

As for tires... my '78 has 175/70-13 on the stock 13x4.5" wheels and they do fit and work well but if you're missing the factory wheel spacers, they will rub the inner frame rails or the lower spring perch on the front.

When I bought this '74, it had 155SR13 on the front, 165/80-13 on the left rear, and A78-13 on the right rear. Not the ideal choice. Now I am running 15x6 wheels with 175/55-15 fronts and 195/50-15 rears. It handles great and the wheel/tire weight is lighter than the stock 13" steelies+175/70-13 with this combo. Plus it looks awesome :)

Your '75 came factory equipped with 145SR13 tires. The factory wheels were 13 x 4.5". If you're out for authenticity, that should be the tire to run. The reason I run 175/70-13 is because that size has the most tire brand options in the USA and offers a little more tread. Also, with a 4 speed car, the 175/70-13 slows the speedometer down to make it more accurate. It also knocks about 100 rpm off your engine revs at freeway speeds and that's a plus.

I went with a Exide group 86 battery from Home Depot. This is a little shorter height and lighter weight than the original group 24 battery. Also, the stock battery clamp and plastic cover fit perfectly with this size. Battery output is also more than enough, at 550CCA.

As for tires... my '78 has 175/70-13 on the stock 13x4.5" wheels and they do fit and work well but if you're missing the factory wheel spacers, they will rub the inner frame rails or the lower spring perch on the front.

When I bought this '74, it had 155SR13 on the front, 165/80-13 on the left rear, and A78-13 on the right rear. Not the ideal choice. Now I am running 15x6 wheels with 175/55-15 fronts and 195/50-15 rears. It handles great and the wheel/tire weight is lighter than the stock 13" steelies+175/70-13 with this combo. Plus it looks awesome :)

Your '75 came factory equipped with 145SR13 tires. The factory wheels were 13 x 4.5". If you're out for authenticity, that should be the tire to run. The reason I run 175/70-13 is because that size has the most tire brand options in the USA and offers a little more tread. Also, with a 4 speed car, the 175/70-13 slows the speedometer down to make it more accurate. It also knocks about 100 rpm off your engine revs at freeway speeds and that's a plus.
Thank you . When you say wheels , you mean rims ? I also think I am missing the factory wheel spacers BC former owner told me tires he slapped on ,three 175 70 13 to get it on trailer & that size rubbed something, I can’t remember reason he mentioned. Passenger front has145-13, & spare 175 80 13 . Sounds like we got our cars from same guy , tire wise? Just kidding. Your reply is very interesting. I am going to study your info , look picture of your car tire set up & send you some pics of my tire situation tomorrow so I can eventually decide what “I can do” Former owner also threw in two “west lake” 175 70 13 ; just tires no rim. I have a new/used tire guy in town that I asked about doin some horse trading if I needed to . Soooo we’ll see. Thank you so much. Best Regards! Study time

Attachments

• E5708209-40A2-406E-AA04-1841BA217220.jpeg
    E5708209-40A2-406E-AA04-1841BA217220.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 64

Thank you . When you say wheels , you mean rims ? I also think I am missing the factory wheel spacers BC former owner told me tires he slapped on ,three 175 70 13 to get it on trailer & that size rubbed something, I can’t remember reason he mentioned. Passenger front has145-13, & spare 175 80 13 . Sounds like we got our cars from same guy , tire wise? Just kidding. Your reply is very interesting. I am going to study your info , look picture of your car tire set up & send you some pics of my tire situation tomorrow so I can eventually decide what “I can do” Former owner also threw in two “west lake” 175 70 13 ; just tires no rim. I have a new/used tire guy in town that I asked about doin some horse trading if I needed to . Soooo we’ll see. Thank you so much. Best Regards! Study time ( first day I laid eyes on her 😍)

Attachments

• D3C972FC-8B67-4BC3-B524-5EFBA663C706.jpeg
    D3C972FC-8B67-4BC3-B524-5EFBA663C706.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 67
I just bought a battery from my X after researching it, a 24 will just fit need to make sure you get the one with the positive and negative on the right sides. I went with the Group 35N, it was a little smaller width wise and fit well. Went with a Walmart Ever Start Maxx for Just South of $120. Consumer Report always ranks this brand at the top of their list and they are usually on the less expensive side compared to the rest.

Tires I still need to buy, they are just real hard to find these days in the states, supply chain issues are killing the availability. So I am holding off as long as I can. I have a 10 year old set now with zero mileage on them that look brand new but they are at that 10 year mark so....

I found that the factory battery cables will reach the proper battery post regardless of whether a size 24 or size 24F (reversed) is used. This can be done while keeping the terminal side of the battery forward and away from the firewall.

I found that the factory battery cables will reach the proper battery post regardless of whether a size 24 or size 24F (reversed) is used. This can be done while keeping the terminal side of the battery forward and away from the firewall.
Oh , thank you. Every bit of info helps. Best. Regards

Just a little update saying the lil booger is still alive and well. Haven't driven him a lot since he wouldn't start during a mini road trip. This prompted me to do a little more service, like replace the starter with a gear reduction unit and replace the timing belt and tensioner.

Just a little update saying the lil booger is still alive and well. Haven't driven him a lot since he wouldn't start during a mini road trip. This prompted me to do a little more service, like replace the starter with a gear reduction unit and replace the timing belt and tensioner.
kinda major stuff? I like the sound of that modern starter, however.

What an epic read. Put me right there with you, minus the busted knuckles and screaming back.
Now I feel (more) guilty and jealous for driving my arguably right-priced, BaT-bought '82 220 miles from San Antonio to Houston 2 weeks ago. Biggest dilemmas: most convenient place to get gas, and will I attempt to break 80mph again. Minor steering vibration did disappear over 4k in 5th...
Hell I didn't even check tire pressures. The 8 year old, $31 Joy Road 175-60s looked fairly round.

I love your grit, your positive attitude, your X, the dudes that swapped the trans outdoors (albeit with a lift), the tire change guys, and the community that assisted in this Adventure.

Did you take no video?

Here's a taste of the (relatively boring and instantaneous) ~3 hour highway blast we did:
Image619132803744452590.jpg

thanks so much for sharing!
Kurt

Last edited:
Back