The Abarth X1/9 Prototipo/Stradale Thread

The ones i got from Al yrs ago were fiberglass...

probably made from a mold from the originals.But you are right the original ones on the pics look like molded plastic,but i don`t think so..............back inthe day this would have been very expensive$$$.Maybe Brett should know...........:)

You're right....

Those would have been terrifically expensive.

Maybe I'm generalizaing from the mud guard things on trucks they call "gatorbacks" that are the molded high impact plastic. It's a safe bet that the technology to do that with plastic, or at least for this common an application, was not available or widely used, especially considering fiberglass.

It would be interesting to know what happened to those molds....the factory one's were likely destroyed. The mysterious part would be if Al Actually had any. I'm inclined to think not. This little graphic seems to imply that the two FAZA Prototipos were factory designated as FAZA units (note reddish colored wheels on the top FAZA one.) But as for the Stradale and the "apparent" differences in those fender flares....it would be interesting to find out.

Incidentally, the word "distrutta" means "destroyed" in Italian. So that leaves 5 in existence, 3 in Japan, one in Italy, and one in The Land of King Al. But I always thought that Consentino had the Stradale Prototipo, not the
Corsa. I think I've also read somewhere that one of Al's was totalled. Not for sure.

xproto2.jpg

Last edited:
To my knowledge Al sold both his Prototipos....

keeping only the Stradale.I haven`t looked at the Autoitalia mags lately,but don`t they mention where are all of them.I believe the 5th one is in Japan if i remember well(ex Faza?).
Duane,seems like you are ready for Prototipo replica!!!! I have been very enthusiastic on everything Abarth since my teens,as my uncle raced a 128 and his friends raced X1/9`s.One of them been the Scuderia Filipinetti one.So from an early age i was determined to own an X eventually..............:excited:

Duane do you have pics of the original Stradale roaming the streets of Italy?.....

Also the one when Al took delivery of it in FL?.... Its in another of Al publication.I have them but haven`t had any luck with my scanner.Will try again,if sucessfull will email them to you for you to post them...........stay tuned

Infos of TOL65337 from www.x19world.de
TOL65337:
1974: Tour de France Auto
1975: Critérium des Chevennes, Rally Montecarlo (tests), Critérium Neige et Glace, Ronde De La Durance, Critérium Jean Behra
Driver: Darniche

-> registered in September 1974
-> Serial Number 128AS0023001
-> italian private citizen

DarnicheDurance75.jpg

watermark.php

http://www.motorsport-legend.com/details.php?gid=209&sgid=&pid=1641

watermark.php

http://www.motorsport-legend.com/details.php?gid=209&sgid=&pid=1633

watermark.php

http://www.motorsport-legend.com/details.php?gid=209&sgid=&pid=1634

watermark.php

http://www.motorsport-legend.com/details.php?gid=209&sgid=&pid=1640

watermark.php

http://www.motorsport-legend.com/details.php?gid=209&sgid=&pid=1642

watermark.php

http://www.motorsport-legend.com/details.php?gid=209&sgid=&pid=1644

Last edited:
Fantastic...

These are great period pictures. The first thing I noticed is that the car did NOT have the "Club Italia" sticker at the top of the windshield. The other notable feature, that is absent from most all pictures, the presence of the SHELL sticker on the right front. It's interesting in that Ferrari and Shell go back to the 50's (to this day every Ferrari leaves the assembly line full of Shell gas and some lubricants), and in this it's like since Fiat has a 40% stake in Ferrari that they want Fiat too!

Thanks for posting, mosting interesting.

I found them 2 years before. I know they´re really cool. :dance:

Pianta1974.jpg

rally 4 regioni 1974 debut fiat x1/9 prototype Pianta-Scabini

numerisation0002.jpg

numerisation0003.jpg

numerisation0005.jpg

numerisation0001.jpg

1975-Essai-FiatX19Abarth-01-v.jpg

Last edited:
The first Prototipo TOHO2940:
1974: Rally di Sicilia, Rally 4 Reigoni, Rally Alpi Orinetali

Serial number 000133
ex FAZA USA

SiciliaRally1974007Copia.jpg

SiciliaRally1974015Copia.jpg

Sicilia_Rally_1974_013.jpg

First snorkel on TOHO2940:

Pianta1974.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting to note....

Look at what's behind "TOHO 2940" and beside the number 2 car, a red and white Stratos! Interesting, so they did compete against each other. I thought the Stratos was way after the Prototipo.

Alex Kartschall (www.x19world.de) told me that they only drove 150 meters in that race before break down :eyepop: . A drive shaft was broken. So there was no real competion against Stratos´.

Hi,

I am Alex Kartschall from germany and I worked together with Roberto Motta from Italy for the article you posted at page 1.

I don't know if it's clear, there were altogether 6 cars built by Abarth. The picture with serial numbers of http://www.x1-9.it is not right!

TO H02940, Serial # 133, this chassis is one of the cars which where used for the presentation of the X1/9 in 1972 at Sicily. This car I told the "protoype of the Prototipo's", was going to Abarth in 1973. They made the first experiments with this car, before they've got 5 more chassis with serial # 23001 to 23005 in 1974. This car was sold to Al Cosentino, he raced it at Daytona. This and one more Prototipo was sold to Japan later.

TO L65335, serial # 23002 was registered like the other Prototipo's in September 1974, it's one of the two race cars which were used at several rallyes in italy. This car was sold with TO H02940 to Al Cosentino and later together with TO H02940 to Japan. This car actually is in italy and waits for restauration.

TO L65336, serial # 23003: This car was the "Muletto", a test car to test new parts. This car was later sold to an italian man who entered in hill climb and slalom races. The car became a Dallara kit (like you can see on page 80 of the article). The car was bought by Gino Macaluso in the early 1990ies, he rebuilt the car in original condition with the 16V Abarth engine.

TO L65337, serial # 23001: the second race car that was used in several rallyes in Italy. This car was going to france together with TO L65336 and was driven by Darniche/Mahé in several rallyes is france. Fiat was testing Michelin tyres with these cars. In 1975 the Prototipo project was already cancelled by Fiat, anyway they made tests in France with a complete fiat service team. This car was sold to an italian man who entered on many stock car races in Italy. Because the car was damaged too much he restored it to original condition and placed the original 16V engine into it. This and the Macaluso car are the only drivable cars in the moment. In 2005 I visited the owner and was able to see the car "in action". It was very impressive ;)

There are missing 23004 and 23005. One of these must be the Stradale which is still owned by Al Cosentino, the other one is the "mysterious 6th car". We believe that it was a not finished spare chassis for the race cars. The stradale was tested by Giogio Pianta in the streets of Torino, I have one picture where you can see him inside the car. This car was use for the homologation form for the CSAI to get the homologation in group 4 in 1974. This homologation form was on the way to the CSAI office, but Macaluso has got a telephone call to return to Torino before he was able to submit it.

If have documents to attest all I wrote above, including the registration papers of the registered cars and the homologation forms. So I think you can believe in what I wrote ;)

Regards, Alex

Thanks Alex!

Alex....thank you for posting this incredibly interesting information about the Prototipos, it's truly a privilege to read form someone as knowledgeable as you. Thanks for stopping by and please drop by and visit with us often.

Duane email me...i have the Stradale pics scanned...

probably the pic Alex is mentioning,plus the one when Al got the car from the shipping docks in Jacksonville FL........It would be nice to post them here.........

Hi,

this is the picture I was writing about:

Stradale6k.jpg

It shows Giorgio Pianta in the roads of Torino with the Stradale.

I know the pictures of Al's book "FAZA X1/9, Strada, 128, Race World Repair Manual", there are some detailed pictures of the stradale inside.

I heared that Al isn't well currently, does someone of you knows some more?

Regards, Alex

Back