The Abarth X1/9 Prototipo/Stradale Thread

The website

I've looked at that website 20 or 30 times and while I love the pictures, it's cool stuff, the navigation makes absolutely no sense and I can never get anywhere on that site. No offense Guy! I just wanted to let you know, though others may have no trouble at all.

I basically just have to click on any "X1/9" that I see and hope it gets me there. And I'm not a web novice, I'm a web developer.

Hi,

interesting link... but I can't believe it... there are too many people who claim that they own an original X1/9 Abarth Prototipo... But no one was able to show me pictures, to tell me the history of the car or tell me any other facts about the car... there were two cars going to Japan, TO H02940 (#133) and TO L65335 (#23002) - both were bought by Al Cosentino before he sold them to Japan. TO H02940 is owned by a japanese auto parts trader (is this the right word for this...?), TO L65335 is owned by a japanese collector and still in Italy for restauration.

The only car that is left in the US that I really know is the stradale of Al Cosentino, but I don't know the serial number of this car. I phoned with Al a few jears ago as he was still well, but he didn't tell me the serial number... and I don't believe that he sold the car in the meantime... and I don't know who else could find out the serial number...

Regards, Alex

Yeah no follow up by the poster

for weeks now :blackeye: and he seems to be blowing smoke about finding/buying Lavin's car on the same forum now... yakity yak!

I'm glad this thread exists.

Someone like that might be able to create some excitement temporarily, but I think the story is fabricated. We here certainly won't be buying into it. This thread alone clearly documents what is a very unclear history and story that could be manipulated.

You guys know Al made a copy of the Stradale Abarth right? I just happen to know where it is....:laugh:

Got it already????.........

You need to start a new thread for this!!!!...........:woot::dance::nod::wink2:

Is that so?

Al used parts for these and those and that, and may have been the first to make a 'real replica'......but Al's Abarth Prototipo doings, because he owned the real deal too, would probably by slightly more qualified than a 'replica.'

Brett M. has shared pictures of the supposed lone Stradale in Al's garage, but that's all we know.

Why don't you fill us in on what's going on?

Wow....

I've read and re-read this thread from start to finish and still find it very impressive.

My dad used to sell Fiats way back in the late 60's and I remember he'd always have a different "new" car every week. (demo)

Anyhow, this time frame was too early for the X, but after I joined the Air Force and got myself stationed to Comox, on Vancouver Island, I bought a 76 in 80 - 81. There were in fact 2 X's to choose from, and being a "poor private" back then, I chose the least expensive of the two. I still paid $3500 and interestingly, after driving it for 2 years, sold it for $4000.

Where I'm going with this, is the other X that was available, had an F1 style snorkel on the engine lid. I always thought that this would benefit engine cooling, but never considered finding one back then.

Now that I've returned to the X Owner's world, I sure would like to find one, and I see that it is part of the Abarth kit.

Does anyone know where I can find just the snorkel. I don't particularily want to order one from Italy at this time. There was one on eBay some time ago, but I got outbid by a "sniper bidder".

Thanks for a great site, this is an awesome resource. And I'm thinking that one can make some very good "like minded" friends here. I just wish there were more X's up here in Canada.

Have a great weekend folks.

Lou.:)

cool thread guys,the prototipo has always been one of my all time favorite rally cars.
keep it up!
cheers
pete

Bump

Knew I had this laying around somewhere.....this is not too hi-res though.

Abarthx.jpg

here are some pics of the guy moerenhout replica (made in his museum):
pict3389.jpg

pict3380.jpg

and what about this lancia scorpion
pict3393q.jpg

Two more for the vault (bump)

This is supposedly one of the Prototipos that lived in Italy, and apparently left there to go to Japan. Apparently being driven through the streets of Turin, not for sure.

prototipo_stradale2.jpg

Here's one of King AL's Prototipos coming off the dock in Florida, note Fiat badged bus. Al makes the comment here that he had put the number on it to autocross in Italy. Other source have said that Consentino received his prototipos without engines. I wonder if he used this car with the roadrace setup.

prototipo_stradale.jpg

Back