the adventures of archie's X

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]the adventures of archie's X<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 20 2000 at 4:50 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "8";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("archie"); // --> </SCRIPT>archie <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hey guys!
Finally got my 75 X running with help from you all. The 1500 with the dual webers and header has a cool sound! Being a flat rate mechanic here in ohio christmas has given me some free time to mess with it (we are slow as hell at my dealership). Had to replace the starter, (the other one suffer damage from the hole in the side of the block), fix a leaking coolant pipe (flange bent all up), bleed all the brakes and turn the rotors(rusted from sitting for four yrs) and replaced the axle(boot was cut and swollen the size of texas). And ordered the @%#&ing window regulator too. All this and I still need help!, Any one have a US 75 wiring diagram from a service manual they can email me? , the one in the Hayes manual is woefully lacking. The lights work when they want to and gauges are all messed up etc etc. Also the engine pops out of the #2 cyl carb throat and the rpm surges at idle. And when you rev it up and let off the rpm slowly comes down. I'm thinking the carbs need to be rebuilt? lastly what should I set timing and dwell at with my set up? Should I hook the vacumn retard up and where? The engine is a freshed 1500 up with 1300 head already redone and dual weber 40 DCNFs, header and a hotter cam (don't know specs)new points ignition, cap, rotor, plugs and wires all set to factory specs. THANK YOU for all the help! This has been a great project so far, even though I'm going broke!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Sounds like a vacuum leak...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 20 2000, 5:55 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Archie...

First of all, congrats on getting your engine back together... there is nuttin' like an engine lighting off the first time after ya git it back together.

Rarely though, is everything right the first time. If you did it everyday... within a week it would be!

I was also a flat rate mechanic back in the late '60s and when I did overhauls... they were mostly 429 Cadillacs. Within a month I was no longer even test driving them... ya get a system down, ya know what works and what doesn't...

To your problem though... the surging at idle would indicate a vacuum leak to me and as the pressures equalize, the engine slows down, then it starts to develop a (proper) vacuum again, sucks more fuel, and speeds up until the pressure drops... and cycles all over again.

You apparently have a whole bunch of NEW variables also. A new head, cam, twin carbs... and the slow return to idle kinda cinches it in my book. But as to WHERE... WOW???

I once saw a FIAT mechanic find a vacuum leak in my intake manifold by spraying it down with WD40.

Since its flammable... when it was sucked in... the engine sped up! I would try that first... if that fails... then the problem could be something inside the carbs themselves.

If they haven't been rebuilt and are well used... try rebuilding them both with a new gasket kit.

Lastly... I have never heard of anyone turning a FIAT rotor... I'm unsure of the minimum width but most folks replace them at 15 bucks a pop. I guess if there was some light rust and you have access to a machine you can save 60 bucks. I have found some local stores that'll turn mine free when I buy the pads, others charge 7.50 to 10.00 bucks a pop. That's why many just buy new ones... and unlike Hondas that have had an ever-present warping problem... especially here in LA-LA Land, mine have been usually scored badly or worn at an angle due to a seized caliber...

Anyway... just some thoughts for ya... keep warm, and Merry Christmas!

Tony

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Warren"); // --> </SCRIPT>Warren <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I had the exact setup as you, had the same problems.......<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 20 2000, 6:01 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->If you like, e-mail me and maybe I can shed some light on some of the little quarks you are finding out.
The pop you have is from the airmixture screw and the idle mixture. Power timing works the best with your setup. And check your float levels, I also have a little trick that solves the flooding in tight corners.
It will happen and it starts to get annoying after a while, especially if you are going to race or solo.
Make sure your return spring is working and the throttle isn't binding. And last but not least, what are you using for a fuel pump?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back