the best one-component rust primer?

1kk means - one component?

I use products like these in link below on rusty spots.
Can try to google translate, but main is “ ortofosforskābe “ , sorry don’t know how it is in English.
http://www.antikorozija.lv/produkti/eva-012/

There is another one 1component which I use, but can check in evening..

This one is 1k
“H2O based system of polymers, which changes structure of corrosion and stops it. Not meant for clean steel. Co tains of PVA dispersion.

Can try to write them email of possible analog products on Your side.

More rust/more blue it comes, at least this one. Hope this info help a bit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 141
The first one referenced by Janis (mkmini) says it is a phosphoric acid product. That would be excellent for rusty areas; phosphoric acid is a rust remover and barrier. It creates a chemical reaction with the rust leaving a phosphate barrier to protect the surface. The second product Janis referenced I can't tell from the label, but the fact it changes color ("more rust becomes more blue") indicates the same thing. The color change is typically the result of that chemical reaction. I don't recall seeing these type of products available in the US, but both of you are in Europe so things are different.

The product Ghostdancing referenced I believe is like "POR-15". POR-15 is essentially 'super-glue' (cyanoacrylate). I'm not certain, but I think that is what the PPG product is calling "nitroacrylic". It forms a hard layer to 'seal' the rust. Personally I am not fond of this approach to rust. At the chemical level, it is impossible to stop rust from forming by covering it up (which is what POR-15 claims it does). And it does not provide a good foundation for top coats (color coat) of paints.

ok i would call "rust converter" the chemical product (it's not a paint) that does "convert" the rust in a "stabilized" surface (in italy the FEROX was the first of these products,many years ago)..i use this only where it's not possible to remove ALL the rust to get bare clean metal (for example i used it yesterday in the inside of the rear bumper..)

i'm looking for a single component substitute of the epoxy 2k primer, intended to be sprayed on clean metal, free of rust

the nitro paint it's the old fashion finishing 1k enamel for car body: as far as i know, back in the day our cars where nitro sprayed in the factory

I am very interested in this topic. I have some rust bubbles around my windshield and have not had the time to do anything about it. Would love to be able to stop the progress if nothing else.

intended to be sprayed on clean metal, free of rust
That's a bit different...sorry I thought you were looking for a paint to put on a rusty surface.

For a completely clean metal surface I would use an "etching primer". Should be available from all the major paint companies in single part product. Typically these days a 2-part (catalyzed) primer is used to seal the surface, with a high build primer on top for 'block sanding' the surface smooth (for body work). But for many years only single component products existed and work very well.

Edit: An option is to acid etch the surface first, then use a standard (not 'etching') primer. Basically the purpose of etching (either separately or in the primer) is to give the metal surface a slight roughness for the paint (primer) to grab on to.

Last edited:
Something I alluded to in my last post, but might not have expressed clearly. A one-component (non-catalyst) primer will not seal the metal surface. A top coat is needed to prevent rusting, even after priming it. That is why the 2-part (catalyzed) primers have taken over as the first layer on bare metal. They seal and prevent rust until the top coat is applied. Nothing wrong with using a 1-part primer, just make sure to seal it immediately with another layer of paint that will seal it. Otherwise rust will begin under the primer and eventually work its way through the finished product. I'd hate to see that happen to you, so just wanted to try and explain the difference.

yes, primer are porous (that's why they offer a good "anchorage" to the finishing layers), but this is the reason why they also trap moisture..so must seal the primer fast with enamel..

Due to its unique recipe, this Corroseal water-based rust converter primer stands out from the competition. This type of solution is non-flammable and non-corrosive, making it safer to use than other primers for rusty metal even if it encourages simple cleanup.

Back