The passing of someone we all owe a debt of gratitude to...

Black-Tooth

Tony Natoli
John Haynes passes away... yes, that's HAYNES!

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/02/12/repair-manual-mogul-john-haynes-1938-2019/?refer=news

With me... its been a love-hate relationship when I got my FIRST Haynes Manual with an "addendum" for the 1979 model.

One key point missing was the rear truck access panel to the engine bay that made it so much easier to work on these engines. For me, I had owned this car 15 years before I found it and cussed out old John Haynes up one side and down the other... Stuff that useta take hours now took only minutes through that portal!

(I still contend if you have a '78 or earlier model one needs to cut their own access port... use the later model "door" as a guide or create your own.)

Lastly, I dunno if John Haynes coined the phrase but he sure made it sarcastically "popular"...

"Reassemble in reverse order..."

Otherwise, I am indebted as back in '83 or so wwe didn't have the internet or access to the factory manuals and his were the most economical and obtainable resource.

(I still prefer the Clymer's Manuals as they usually use factory drawings and photos and also write up a "Circuit Description" telling HOW each circuit operates...)

Last edited by a moderator:
he was my english teacher (together with bob dylan)..i learned english on a ducati scrambler workshop manual when was a young boy (no italian worksop were available, no internet back in the days..)

Haynes is the reason I have a variety of ‘suitable drifts’. Spanner never really entered my lexicon but I still have trouble with adding extra U’s and a tendency to use Z’s versus S’s.

I have a variety of Haynes manuals, many for cars I no longer own or for cars I have never owned. I have read through them all as a means of gaining a better understanding of the way certain automotive problems were solved.

Sad to hear he has gone. Thanks for alerting us to his passing Tony

RIP Mr. Haynes. Thank you for your great manuals!

I love Haynes manuals. I guess the first one I ever bought was for the X1/9, bought it at a specialty automotive bookstore many years back (and is now quite worn out!). I've had them for many other cars that I've owned, including my daily driver (2006 Pontiac Vibe) and my Abarth 500 (I bought the UK version in hardcover, doesn't cover everything in my car though).

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many new manuals available from them :( - I do hope they continue publishing new manuals for newer cars.

This one might come in handy if you land on the moon and want to service one of the rovers up there... ;)

upload_2019-2-13_12-12-5.png

Great replies guys...

I gotta get one of those Rover Haynes Manuals as I plan on retiring on Jupiter... Les E. Zigler (lesezig, the Martian) recommends the place for its multi-colored, sandy beaches... says water is coming soon.

BTW, I think the last entry I saw about him was 7 or 8 years ago... He's supposedly hanging out in the great PNW... him and Sasquatch.

Last edited:
Still have my Haynes X1/9 manual from 1985....I had an 81. I remember looking for "strut cartridges" instead of struts, later realizing that a lot of things weren't covered for my year car in that book. I still use it as an additional resource to the other info collected over the years. We also have Haynes manuals for our S10 & Honda Accords. The Haynes Accord manual is easier to work with than the factory Honda manuals. Valuable parts of our library for many years.

Haynes manuals were always the first thing I bought when working on a car, whether it was mine or a friends. Still have a bunch in the garage.

IMG_7816.JPG

Back