The pros/The cons?

.......with FI there are sooooo many components and wires and sensors.

Posts exploded view of Weber carb.
4017.jpg

Drops mic.

I am putting my ‘79X up for sale after 22 years. It has the following mods from stock:
- 32DMTR carb with manual choke.
- Yugo head (increases compression > torque)
- De-smogged with stock exhaust, test pipe instead of cat.
- Changed from AC to Non-AC setup, so everything in engine compartment is very accessible.
- Single bar “Mittlestead” bumpers front and rear.
- Phone dial wheels
- Sumotomo 200 HTR tires with about 1000 miles on them all around.
- 5-Speed 101 started by me, then finished by Steve Hoeschler.
- Brown wire mod.
I sent it to Midwest Bayless (where it is right now) where it was inspected, list of recommended repairs with cost estimate, and projected sales price 1) before repairs and 2) if repairs are implemented by them. If interested in more info, let me know.
Gary McCormick
Carlisle, PA

The motor on both cars was an internally stock 1500 and probably didn't make all that much difference over an upgraded two barrel but I did it for aural and visual reasons. I didn't detect any difference in vertical or horizontal and what I read suggests straight shot, in this case horizontal is worth 5% more but let's face it, street driving with a stock cam and pistons on suburban roads is not about max HP. DCOEs do require cutting into the frame to make clearance, IDFs (and DCNFs) require no mods.

This is why FI Fiats don't excite me. If you open the engine bay of your Fiat and it doesn't make you smile then you might as well have a refrigerator in there.

I was 75% asleep when I posted last night (note time EDST). Plan is to put stuff on FS&W Forum this morning, with a few pix + MWB’s assessment, recommendations, repair costs and suggested pricing. Had contractor at the house until a few minutes ago, but will get on it shortly.

Gary McCormick
Carlisle, PA

You have to admit, how many potential buyers get to look at a MWB assessment on a used car....pretty classy.

Which is better, horizontal or vertical carbs? Which gives a straighter shot into the intake?

Awesome examples, Carl!

They both involve a turn. The DCNFs are a much more friendly carb and manifold for a X with it’s tight engine bay and relationship to the trunk.

I believe there is a thread around here which actually shows the DCNF is equal to or better than the DCOEs in terms of airflow (which relates to the actual possible power they can make).

They both involve a turn. The DCNFs are a much more friendly carb and manifold for a X with it’s tight engine bay and relationship to the trunk.

I believe there is a thread around here which actually shows the DCNF is equal to or better than the DCOEs in terms of airflow (which relates to the actual possible power they can make).

I think that was the ultimate x19 engine thread. If I remember correctly, the theory is that they both require air to turn to fill the cylingers, but the dcnfs require it to turn more. However, there are fewer restrictions in the body of the dcnfs, so they potentially flow more in spite of the extra turn.

I have no dog in this fight (and no DCNFs handy) but what additional restrictions would the DCNFs have over DCOEs?
DCOEs have a straight shot through the manifold into the head, DCNFs and IDFs have a 90 degree bend in the manifold.

It isn’t actually a straight shot, if you really look at the path, it is a 3D path given the throat spacing and the X head which has its own downturn to cylinders. The DCNFs are a curve but the bottom of the curve dumps into the top of the heads own curve.

I believe Steve C had a thread on this subject with some casts as I recall of the actual manifolds with the entry to the chamber made of silicone.

Hello all,

I have a line on two nice X 1/9s.

Both are carby 1500s.

In each of your experience, what are the biggest pros/cons/contrasts between the carby and FI 1500 X 1/9s?

Should I just hold out for a FI car? Are carbs the way to go for better induction noise on WOT?

I know cold starts are easier with FI, but I want more first-hand info, if possible?

Thank you.
I had two new X's, 74 and carbed 80. Stock the 74 had a top speed of 105, 80 was 85.

When I got my X in 1974, I got it up to 106 on a flat straight on CA-1. It was getting dark so I turned on the lights. The drag from the lights dropped it to 102.

The last time I drove my X at max speed was @28 years ago. It indicated just over 110, this was pre cell phone and GPS apps so who knows what the reality was. I would look to Road and Track and Car and Driver to see what their instrumented speeds were.

On that 80, it had a 85mph speedometer so it certainly wouldn’t have indicated a higher speed :)

The last time I drove my X at max speed was @28 years ago. It indicated just over 110, this was pre cell phone and GPS apps so who knows what the reality was. I would look to Road and Track and Car and Driver to see what their instrumented speeds were.

On that 80, it had a 85mph speedometer so it certainly wouldn’t have indicated a higher speed :)

Indicated speed does not equal actual speed. Same problem with motorcycle speedos.

The faster you drive, the more error is in the calibration, and it makes you think you are going faster than you are.

This is more of an issue with mechanical/cable/magnet counting speedos, such as on my '96 Ducati. Speedo reads 160 MPH, but no one in their right mind believes that.

I believe the one on the X 1/9 is electronic, so more accurate (someone correct me if it is cable-driven)...

The error starts to grow past 90-100 mph on most speedos, or so I have been told by all those dusty magazine articles from R&T, Motor Cyclist, Sport Rider, etc. I have read since I could walk.

I'd expect a stock 1500 F! under ideal conditions to actually hit 110 +/- 5mph...this, while thinking about feathers and styrofoam while driving...but your MPH may vary.

I'll let you know when I finally get my own X 1/9 to flog.

Indicated speed does not equal actual speed. Same problem with motorcycle speedos.

The faster you drive, the more error is in the calibration, and it makes you think you are going faster than you are.

This is more of an issue with mechanical/cable/magnet counting speedos, such as on my '96 Ducati. Speedo reads 160 MPH, but no one in their right mind believes that.

I believe the one on the X 1/9 is electronic, so more accurate (someone correct me if it is cable-driven)...

The error starts to grow past 90-100 mph on most speedos, or so I have been told by all those dusty magazine articles from R&T, Motor Cyclist, Sport Rider, etc. I have read since I could walk.

I'd expect a stock 1500 F! under ideal conditions to actually hit 110 +/- 5mph...this, while thinking about feathers and styrofoam while driving...but your MPH may vary.

I'll let you know when I finally get my own X 1/9 to flog.

Very much a vague mechanical speedo.

I'm just trying to figure out where in the DC area there was a traffic (and cop) free area I could get my X to do a top speed run. I can get to a GPS indicated 80mph without much effort but by then I have hit Virginia's automatic reckless driving speed. I could really get into organized top speed events, it would be fun to try various tweeks to increase speed, but there are no abandoned airfields sponsoring such events in my neck of the woods.

This conversation reminds me of a little trip I took to Far West Texas aka desert wasteland unless you own mineral rights. Short version, I was on a flat straight B road in the middle of nowhere and hadn't seen signs of civilization much less a car for at least an hour. Naturally my mind started to wonder about top speed performance. I started my run, got well into triple digits, then had second thoughts as I approached a slight rise in elevation. Not flat enough... Just as I coasted back into legal range a black and white Texas State Police car came into view!

Last edited:
90 is pretty easy to get to around these parts depending on the traffic. Getting any faster would be pretty likely to bring a ticket. Funny how certain groups of cars edge things up. Of course if I went to Detroit I am sure 100 would be possible if the wheels would stay on it with the state of the roads over there.

My 2013 GTI speedo goes to 180 and my son's boring Accord goes to 160...what a waste of speedo sweep!

What is top speed ratings for the usual trash tires we run on our Fiats?

My 2013 GTI speedo goes to 180 and my son's boring Accord goes to 160...what a waste of speedo sweep!

What is top speed ratings for the usual trash tires we run on our Fiats?

90MPH? lol

Back