Theft...

Fortunately I don't think Fiats are on their radar.
I tend to agree with Kevin, the basic things are probably sufficient protection for these cars. Afterall each of my X's will be worth maybe $2000 to 3000 when finished. So they are not exactly at the top of the theft food chain, like say the other Italian car who's name starts with a "F".
On the other hand things like the wheels having a odd bolt pattern should be in our favor, but unfortunately I doubt thieves realize that they are different. So that might be one of the most likely items for them to take - assuming the car has desirable looking wheels. So wheel locks are still worth the effort. The other likely item for them to target might be a nice stereo system. But many X's do not have high end sound systems.

In the UK, insurance rates are dictated by the thatcham rating.
Thanks Andrew, that make more sense. I misunderstood and thought "Thatcham" was a particular type if wheel locks.

Interesting what some of their criteria are for improved ratings. I wonder if the aftermarket car security industry had an involvement with their findings; it seems like a lot of aftermarket type of equipment would be needed to meet those requirements - especially for any vehicle more than a few years old. Good for business.

I'll have to look again, but on my quick initial search it seemed like a lot of the common wheel locks were Thatcham rated. It would be nice to see some sort of test for the various styles of wheel locks to see which ones were considered more secure. Maybe one has been done, I should search for that as well.

Back