There are so many FIATs I’ve never seen, apparently….

tvmaster

True Classic
New season of WD, link likely won’t stay up long (they never do) - but The Coupe? News to me…
PS - new season of WD starts end of October in North America

Last edited:
Yes, that is a Fiat 2.0 Coupe.. It was the only modern Fiat in Gran Turismo. Unfortunately, they are also fairly ugly. If I'm not mistaken I believe the designer was the infamous Chris Bangle, designer behind the first BMW Z4 and weird back ended 2007 M6. His lines go every which way, without any regard for the overall shape. A designer so bad that his last name is now a design term. A 'Bangle' is "too many details that detract from the whole"...🤪

Last edited:
Oh, we rented one of those Multipla’s in Spain. Three front seats! Bizarre rental for sure, but it got us there and back with local flair. lol. And the sight lines were awesome.

Yes, that is a Fiat 2.0 Coupe.. It was the only modern Fiat in Gran Turismo. Unfortunately, they are also fairly ugly. If I'm not mistaken I believe the designer was the infamous Chris Bangle, designer behind the first BMW Z4 and weird back ended 2007 M6. His lines go every which way, without any regard for the overall shape. A designer so bad that his last name is now a design term. A 'Bangle' is "too many details that detract from the whole"...🤪
Here's another Bangle...
Bangle doesn't appeal to everyone. I think the Fiat Coupe is more interesting than most cars in that category. He doesn't seem to be responsible for the Multipla. According to Wikipedia, that would be Roberto Giolito.

You really have to wonder how that man was allowed to design any car. Car enthusiasts tend to not be open to radical ideas. The performance and the interior are great but you have to wonder how many sales were lost due to the stupid looks.

Bangle and his colleague Van Hooeydonk (sp?) were the worst thing to ever happen to the BMW line. The two of them ruined those cars in my eyes. They should both go to work for Nissan, where ugly is a way of life.

Do you really want to see a lot of Fiats you had no idea existed?

Ah, a Multipla.

@BrettM and his son rolled thru St. Louis on a Route 66 tour in a Multipla back in 2009. The clutch lost function on the Illinois side of the river and Brett nursed it, with no clutch, all the way to Chris's house about 30 minutes west of STL. We spent many hours figuring out what went wrong, and finally found an answer on the innerwebz. Turned out the spring inside the master cylinder on these vehicles has a history of snapping in the middle and then the two halves wind into each other until you are left with only 1/2 the intended stroke. We made a trip to the local hardware store to find a suitable spring, it was Sunday evening and we got lucky.

Here is a map of the general route Brett had to navigate with noi clutch. Better him than me. It did help that it was a Sunday. Regular weekday traffic would have been a big problem.
carlinville2ofallon.JPG

Here are some pictures from Chris' driveway before we got to work. The interior is as funky as the exterior. :)
IMG_0480.jpgIMG_0482.jpgIMG_0483.jpgIMG_0484.jpgIMG_0485.jpg

Chris and Brett did all the work, I held the flashlight. :)

Ah, a Multipla.

@BrettM and his son rolled thru St. Louis on a Route 66 tour in a Multipla back in 2009. The clutch lost function on the Illinois side of the river and Brett nursed it, with no clutch, all the way to Chris's house about 30 minutes west of STL. We spent many hours figuring out what went wrong, and finally found an answer on the innerwebz. Turned out the spring inside the master cylinder on these vehicles has a history of snapping in the middle and then the two halves wind into each other until you are left with only 1/2 the intended stroke. We made a trip to the local hardware store to find a suitable spring, it was Sunday evening and we got lucky.

Here is a map of the general route Brett had to navigate with noi clutch. Better him than me. It did help that it was a Sunday. Regular weekday traffic would have been a big problem.
View attachment 53011

Here are some pictures from Chris' driveway before we got to work. The interior is as funky as the exterior. :)
View attachment 53006View attachment 53007View attachment 53008View attachment 53009View attachment 53010

Chris and Brett did all the work, I held the flashlight. :)
That was a fun, somewhat stressful day. Driving all that way without a clutch was crazy. I had to start the car in third gear and do my best to avoid all stops. I got good at rev matching the shifts without a clutch too. Thanks for reminding me about that, fun time.

Back