Thinking about the exhaust...again

rjplenter

True Classic
So I was idling surfing for any sort of 128 exhaust headers that might be adaptable to X's and I came across this site/thread:

http://www.turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5297&start=145

Do any of our antipodean mates know this gent?

Did he ever get the CAD for his headers?

He certainly seems to love welding.

Oh, and for any readers who may be slightly faint of heart...he uses the occasional colourful phrase. Just warnin' ya.

Cheers,

Rob

Ladaspeed

Hey
I have Liazed with ladaspeed and he is a great guy and contributor to the forum. He makes the dcnf manifolds for the xe and has provided free cad files for the thermo housing adapter (if you fit a later tipo type head/engine to x19 thermo housing).
His web site is
http://www.innogen.co.nz/
I bought some of these headers from the UK
http://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/in...ducts_id=268&zenid=465ea2v2m3tpnp9nigar41a7a5
There is a matching silencer and it sounds very nice got here quickly and fitted up with no dramas.
Hope this helps
Nick

Interesting find Rob

I see on the web site "duderduderini" lists, they have the header under the "coming up" tab. So it may or may not be available?? Will you be contacting them?
I also noticed in the thread that you referenced, the guy states his design is from Guy Croft's site. At the moment I don't recall how Guy's design compares to the info you have from your book. Do you know how it compares?
It would also be interesting to know if his design works on A/C cars, is made of stainless or mild steel, offers a 'bung' option, etc, etc. But it could be a great find, nicely done! Let us know if you find out more.

Not the response I was hoping for...

"Hi Rob

I ended up only making the one set for my car as there wasn’t quite enough interest at the time to make it worthwhile.. plus it is a little bit hard to sell something as a performance addon when you have simply built them to the theory and have no real benchmark for the gains…

Still they seem to work pretty well on my car though :).

So it is unlikely they will ever be put into production sorry…

Thanks
Dylan"

How many here would be genuinely interested in a quality 4-2-1 header?

I am interested, but...

I want it to fit a stock setup, meaning I want it to go through the upper access hole, not underneath the car.

If I must, I will make one myself.

Another response

Likewise, I contacted "FIATorque" about the header listed on their site. It's a 4-2-1 design with similar characteristics to the one we've discussed. But I got a response saying they no longer make them.

Here is the site reference:
http://www.fiatorque.com.au/

That's a shame

But it seems there isn't much interest in a 4-2-1 system with this group anyway. I may have to sharpen my welding skills and find access to a mandrel bender somewhere...

Header Project.

Rob, the "4-2-1" header project through Xweb is not dead (as far as I know). But it will take time to go through the various stages of development. For the most part, each phase of it must be completed before going on to the next, with different members handling each step. Furthermore, much of the work is very time consuming and is being done in people's limited spare time. So it will take awhile. But several have expressed interest and I believe we pretty much have all of the bases covered.
In the mean time, it sounds like you have made good progress with your X. Where does it stand overall now?

That's good to hear Jeff

I've picked up some Ansa bits from Daniel and will use those to play around with ideas. A project like a new exhaust does take quite some time but I think will be worth it.

Overall the "barn find" project has progressed well. Better than expected in fact. It's always a risk buying a car that hasn't run in decades, but the engine now starts right up and doesn't smoke. There were a couple of oil leaks early on, but letting it idle and warm up every few days seems to be resolving those. We have driven it to the end of the street and back a couple of times and found everything feels good (honestly officer, it rolled down the driveway and we are just putting it back :wink2:) except the PO did stretch the truth about the "pristine" gear box. 3rd synchro is faulty and the g'box leaks so a rebuild is on the books.

We have all the new brakes, suspension, wheels and tires installed. A new alternator will go in soon since the smoke got out of the existing one. And we'll fit a cat converter so we can get it tested and registered. Then we will get cracking on the body repairs and the interior.

I honestly thought that this project was going to take a lot longer, but my fiancee Kristy is a gem and encourages me to work on it AND even gets her hands dirty on it too. She has a bit of a family history with cars and she is now becoming quite the Italophile! :) I'm one very lucky guy!!! I got the girl AND the Italian sports car :dance:

Cheers,

Rob

Very nice Rob...

sounds like you got a good car and a great girl!!
If you have a chance, maybe you could play around some more with the formulas for the header design and see if any further improvements can be found. That way, when the overall configuration for the shape/routing is developed we will be good to go ahead with the actual build.
Thanks and keep in touch, Jeff

Back