Third gear grind is back

no he's talking about the X19 transmission. It (and many other transmissions apart from porsche and VW) use what's kown as a porsche synchro ring, as it was designed originally by Ferry Porsche, the synchro naming has nothing to do with the brand name or type of vehicle made by the VW/audi group, simply the designer / inventor (he probably holds the patent)

SteveC
Okay, my original question, which seems to have been missed, was if this is the kind of transmission used in a Karmann Ghia. And then somehow, it turned into the “you’re not shifting corrctly” sub-thread. lol. Thanks.

Okay, my original question, which seems to have been missed, was if this is the kind of transmission used in a Karmann Ghia. And then somehow, it turned into the “you’re not shifting corrctly” sub-thread. lol. Thanks.

The Beetle used brass cone type synchros. I would assume the Gia did too.

no he's talking about the X19 transmission. It (and many other transmissions apart from porsche and VW) use what's kown as a porsche synchro ring, as it was designed originally by Ferry Porsche, the synchro naming has nothing to do with the brand name or type of vehicle made by the VW/audi group, simply the designer / inventor (he probably holds the patent)

SteveC
Like many things automotive, the design was evolutionary not revolutionary. Chrysler showed the idea of a beveled band synchronizer in 1933 (1930 filing date) item #27 and #28 in the drawing below. The basic Porsche refinement of the concept seems to have been invented by a guy named Leopold Schmid in 1953 (1956 issuing date), though there was still refinement to be done before the final design we are familiar with. That work seems to have been carried out by a guy named Hans Reich around 1963 (1965 issuing date). Ferry Porsche's genius usually turns out to be guys like these two and another guy named Karl Rabe.
chry1.png

syn1.jpg

syn2.jpg

HR1.jpg

HR2.jpg

@Paul Valente when I typed that I thought to myself, someone like Paul is going to do a patent search for this ... 'cos I know that's kind of your "thing" ... and you did.

The Reich patent was given the very day I was born! and yes 3,200,920 looks exactly like the synchroniser we have grown to love/hate.

So why do we call it a "porsche" synchro? shouldn't it be known as a "Reich synchro" or does the naming rights go to the employer?

SteveC

@Paul Valente when I typed that I thought to myself, someone like Paul is going to do a patent search for this ... 'cos I know that's kind of your "thing" ... and you did.

The Reich patent was given the very day I was born! and yes 3,200,920 looks exactly like the synchroniser we have grown to love/hate.

So why do we call it a "porsche" synchro? shouldn't it be known as a "Reich synchro" or does the naming rights go to the employer?

SteveC
LOL Hey, we're almost the same age! Yeah, patents are an interest of mine. It's like history for engineers plus it tells you exactly how things work, what features do what, etc. They are tremendously useful as you can generally fix and diagnose things once you know how they work.
Alas, poor Reich. I think it is known as the Porsche synchro because that is where people started seeing it first.

Last edited:
If I understand your question correctly, the VW transmission is not at all related to the Fiat unit in any way. The general style of synchros is of the same basic type (general design) in both of them, but they are not interchangeable and nothing else is related. So any shifting issues in your Ghia has nothing to do with the X trans issues, and vice versa. Perhaps other than a worn synchro can cause grinding, which is pretty much true on any transmission. On the VW units, replacing the worn synchro generally is all that's needed to resolve the issue. I wish the same was true for the Fiat.

Back