Thoughts on a 128...

fastx19

Administrator
So, I have a 128 2 door which has been a race car for much of it's life. I have a performance motor, cam, lightened flywheel, LSD 4 speed, and more to go in it, but before I do, I was thinking about what else existed out there that I could use instead.

Newer 500 motor?
I think 500x with AWD would be fun!
Others?

Just thinking of options, and would like to hear from others.

Thanks!

What's the ultimate goal for the car? Keeping it a race car, or putting it back on the street? How much are you willing to spend and fabricate?

What's the ultimate goal for the car? Keeping it a race car, or putting it back on the street? How much are you willing to spend and fabricate?
No way this would ever be a street car again. I love the fabrication part and I am right now in a place where I can spend some money, but not crazy, like drop an F1 engine in it.

Honda Gold Wing motor. Flat six with shaft drive and reverse. That should keep your fabrication desires busy for awhile and a Porsche sounding exhaust note would be amazing.

Watch Project Binky on Youtube and you will know what to do. They used a classic Mini but a 128 has more room.

You know what the Honda engines can do in a Fiat, and there is more room but less structural integrity in the 128. I like your idea of using a modern Fiat engine like an Abarth or 500 turbo. I think the key is to use as much of the modern drive train and components as possible, ie wiring harness, engine management and ancillaries. I think this is the only way to avoid the engine management issues without extensive re-mapping. It would almost be like the modern cars that have had classic car bodies "grafted" to the chassis. For example Tanner Faust has a modern GTO/Munaro with a 60s body grafted to it.

Seriously, you could always put an X 1500 motor in and breathe on it a bit and it requires no fabrication. But it's not much of a "project" and you might be looking for something radical to sink your teeth into.

Tube frame front ala 037, Group 2 flares to bring the wheels out.....sorry just thinking out loud. But I’ve seen an X with a Busso swap so if that’s possible......

Well, just to get things rolling, this was my track day/street car.
IMG_7059[1].JPG

it had an LS swapped in...1500 Limited Speed motor.

Back