Throttle body conversion kits

Hi Mike,

Well, there is a thread on the project here. In a nutshell, things went pretty smoothly the first year or two while pulling the old engine, cleaning things up, building up the new 1500, etc. I even got the engine in the car and started mounting everything to it. So I was looking at the FI linkage and the existing carb accel cable end and I said "Hmmmm, well that ain't gonna work". This is the point of the story where the village idiot gets sad, because he just realized he is the village idiot and not the class clown. It is a subtle difference. :)

Let's continue: So the accel set up doesn't look workable at all with the new FI linkage. Fortunately I was heading for FFO soon and tracked down Madd Matt for some advice. He told me that the 1300 and 1500 accel pedal, cable and linkage were different and I would need to swap in the 1500 accel gear. I wasn't happy that I had that I had to pull the interior apart, but when I got home I gathered the parts and got to work. I got the old cable pulled, the new pedal assembly installed and grabbed the new cable. As you probably know, but I didn't, the 1500 cable will not fit into the 1300 cable guide tube that lives in the center tunnel. Right about here is where I yelled a few expletives, literally gave the guide tube the finger, cursed my decision to start this swap and then shoved the car into the corner and stacked boxes on it. It sat for a couple years, then I worked on it some more. Then it sat for a couple more years and then a couple more. It still sits in the corner and really makes a wonderful shelf. :cool:

There are other differences like various studs in the bay for mounting carb gear are shorter than the same stud in an FI car. The accel pedal issue was the back breaker for me though. I thought I was nearly done and then, nope.

Just for reference, this is the X:
View attachment 21367
At least it isn't getting rusty. :rolleyes:
Jim,
I ran into the same issues with the throttle cable. I ended up modifying the existing tube by cutting it short to the correct length. Then, to facilitate connecting the FI cable to the now shorter tube, I used a tubing flaring tool to flare the end. (And yes, that was a pain!). But, it worked and I was able to use the same funky wire clip the FI cable uses to hold it all together.
In retrospect I would have kept the carb throttle cable and made a change to the linkage on the valve cover instead.
As for the studs, I make liberal use of a NutSert tool. I did have to run a new power source to the dual relay, and I mounted the computer to the dist access cover (which I mounted on the inside of the spare tire space so I had a bit more room in the engine compartment).
In the end I didn't notice any real increase in HP with the FI. But, it ran much smoother and I did cure the problem I was having with loss of power in tight corners.
BTW - by using a variable resistor connected to the coolant temp sensor I was able to make quick and significant changes to the AF ratio, on the fly! (But honestly, I did not notice any seat of the pants gain in HP when I did that.)

No, never tried it. I thought I might use it on a 1500 engine, but decided that it was too difficult to adapt to the Fiat manifold. It's still NOS.

I know the feeling. I've spent way too much time with angle grinder, die grinder, drill, files, and any other tool I could find making adapter plates. But, sometimes they work just as expected that makes it worth it.
20190417_110527.jpg
20190417_110951.jpg

I spotted those on eBay. Really great price for what they are. However it still leaves you with a LOT more needed to assemble a complete system. But it's a good start. I have a feeling this would be the least expensive part of it though.[/QUOTE]

For me it is sad to say that I already have the manifold from my DCOEs, I have a new megasquirt that has been in a box for 8 years and have never proceeded any further. Still some costs for the ITBs injectors, sensors and fuel pump but not crazy expensive. I would have to get motivated to stop playing with the other cars first and get back to it. ;-)

I know the feeling. I've spent way too much time with angle grinder, die grinder, drill, files, and any other tool I could find making adapter plates. But, sometimes they work just as expected that makes it worth it.
I suppose just about anything can be done, with enough talent and effort.
Sometimes it just doesn't make sense though, like putting the Holley TB on a SOHC manifold.
20190417_130120.jpg
But that doesn't stop some people from trying...
This is one of my favorites. I would like to have this just to hang on the wall.
20170507_105223.jpg 20170507_105246 (Medium).jpg

There is a bolt on adapter to mount the Weber DGV onto the X1/9 carb manifold. Makes it a little easier.

I suppose just about anything can be done, with enough talent and effort.
Sometimes it just doesn't make sense though, like putting the Holley TB on a SOHC manifold.
View attachment 21389
But that doesn't stop some people from trying...
This is one of my favorites. I would like to have this just to hang on the wall.
View attachment 21387 View attachment 21388

I hate to admit it, but years ago I had an 850 Spider with an 817 in it. A friend at work was moving and he gave me his leftover parts.
Included was a 500 Holley 2 barrel. Anyway...
All I can say is that you could start the engine
and it would idle but very roughly. If you cracked the throttle it was over. I gave up on that real quick.
That was about '82, carb is still sitting on the shelf if someone else wants to try it.

Jim,
I ran into the same issues with the throttle cable. I ended up modifying the existing tube by cutting it short to the correct length. Then, to facilitate connecting the FI cable to the now shorter tube, I used a tubing flaring tool to flare the end. (And yes, that was a pain!). But, it worked and I was able to use the same funky wire clip the FI cable uses to hold it all together.
In retrospect I would have kept the carb throttle cable and made a change to the linkage on the valve cover instead.
As for the studs, I make liberal use of a NutSert tool. I did have to run a new power source to the dual relay, and I mounted the computer to the dist access cover (which I mounted on the inside of the spare tire space so I had a bit more room in the engine compartment).
In the end I didn't notice any real increase in HP with the FI. But, it ran much smoother and I did cure the problem I was having with loss of power in tight corners.
BTW - by using a variable resistor connected to the coolant temp sensor I was able to make quick and significant changes to the AF ratio, on the fly! (But honestly, I did not notice any seat of the pants gain in HP when I did that.)

I have made use of nutserts for the fuel pump and ECU brackets. I even used a couple fancy wood working inserts for adjustable table legs to solve the issue of too short of studs to hold the AFM bracket.
IM003092.JPG

For the accel cable, the miracle came when I moved to a new house. My neighbor's family were drag racers and he took a liking of the Xs. We autoX'd the 85 a couple years and he asked why the 78 just sat in the corner. I showed him the guide tube/cable issue and he laughed. He took a couple measurements and we went to the big lathe in the back of his garage. He made a custom coupler with set screws in about 15 minutes. So that accell issue is behind me, then other issues came up.
accel coupler 1.JPG

Good times. :)

I have made use of nutserts for the fuel pump and ECU brackets. I even used a couple fancy wood working inserts for adjustable table legs to solve the issue of too short of studs to hold the AFM bracket.
View attachment 21391

For the accel cable, the miracle came when I moved to a new house. My neighbor's family were drag racers and he took a liking of the Xs. We autoX'd the 85 a couple years and he asked why the 78 just sat in the corner. I showed him the guide tube/cable issue and he laughed. He took a couple measurements and we went to the big lathe in the back of his garage. He made a custom coupler with set screws in about 15 minutes. So that accell issue is behind me, then other issues came up.
View attachment 21390

Good times. :)
I like that guide tube/cable issue solution! Much better than futzing with a tubing flare tool.

I hope you can come up with solutions for your other issues.

Jim, I feel for you. There are plenty of times I give the finger and yell obscenities at a part I'm working one. Often wonder what someone would think if they saw me doing that, but it feels good at the time.

I'm actually about to do a FI swap into a '79 carb X. I've never had a 1300 so I don't know how different they are compared to the carb '79. But the '79 also has a different (carb) throttle cable and linkage compared to the '85 FI stuff I'll be putting in. I have not looked too close at it yet so don't know what will be needed. But I'm wondering if you could use the 1300 carb throttle pedal and cable, but make some sort of adapter around the rocker cover part of it (at the engine)...to connect the 1300 stuff to the FI stuff?

Just browsing MWBs "pedals and linkages" section it looks like the pedal assembly is 79-88, but there is some kind of throttle stop doohicky that is 80-88 which means it wasn't on the 79. The 79 was truly an odd car. ;)

Anywho, if the 79 has the newer cable and pedal (it seems to judging by the cable listing), you may avoid the guide tube issue. That would be a good start to your swap.

I like that guide tube/cable issue solution! Much better than futzing with a tubing flare tool.

I hope you can come up with solutions for your other issues.

Thanks Mike. I am thinking the best solution is "Take the car to MWB and get a K20 swap performed by real mechanics". :rolleyes: That is a likely outcome if it sits for many more years. :)

As you probably know, but I didn't, the 1500 cable will not fit into the 1300 cable guide tube that lives in the center tunnel. Right about here is where I yelled a few expletives, literally gave the guide tube the finger, cursed my decision to start this swap and then shoved the car into the corner and stacked boxes on it.

Duct tape?

Back in the early 90's I bought my first X, a 1976 Mediterranean Blue model with a blown (warm it up and watch the blue smoke blow out the exhaust with copious amounts of motor oil) 1300 engine.

Off to the junk yard to get a nice low mileage 1500 long block for $150. I had zero knowledge and an pretty sure that this Forum didn't exist. Heck, I was so poor/cheap that I decided against the extra $75 for the wiring harness!

My point of that it can be hooked up without too many issues. I mated it to the existing '76 4 speed transmission. Can't remember how I did the throttle cable but that was not a huge thing.

My point is that you should get back in the and finish this project @JimD

Cheers

Back