Time to remove the old. Any tips?

SteveG

Daily Driver
20190616_164614.jpg

Not much I would want to remove in there I can see aside from the rust.

What’s your question again?

It's all coming out. It's stood for 10 years unloved in my garage and I'm going to install a Honda K20.
I've forgotten so much over those years, any tips for easy removal?

any tips for easy removal?
From the bottom. Engine and trans as one unit. I think there is a step by step guide in the Wiki or somewhere on the forum.

Looks like a lot of nice aftermarket parts on it. I'm sure you can sell them to help cover a little of the cost to do the swap.

How much do you want for the motor and all the other stuff? Also where are you located. Pm me

Out the bottom is easy enough. So long as you have long enough jack stands anyway. What are you doing with the old engine? I'd love a whole load of those bits!

I haven't decided about the old parts yet. The core engine is well past its best, that's why I took it off the road 10 years ago.
My user picture was taken on an owners club trip to Ireland, where the engine leaked a massive 14 litres of coolant a day, revving the engine exuberantly, pressurised the crankcase and would blow out the dipstick and all the oil! ( I always drove exuberantly!)

Last edited:
Undo all the hoses and wires.
Remove the axles, intake, exhaust,
Use an engine hoist to drop the motor to the floor or dolly after undoing the four bolts that hold the engine support member to the chassis.
Use the engine hoist to raise the tail of the car high enough to roll the engine/trans out.

I haven't decided about the old parts yet. The core engine is well past its best, that's why I took it off the road 10 years ago.
My user picture was taken on an owners club trip to Ireland, where the engine leaked a massive 14 litres of coolant a day, revving the engine exuberantly, pressurised the crankcase and would blow out the dipstick and all the oil!

Sounds like a healthy motor!!!!

I'd like the ignition kit if you decide to part it out. Good luck with your project!

Well, it's a Weber Alpha mapped ignition system, supplied by the original owner of Eurosport. However finding someone to tune them now is rather difficult! You'd probably find other systems that are easier and cheaper to maintain. I think I may be doing myself out of a few pounds here, but it's best to be honest up front.

What camshaft is in it? And what is that plumbing with an oil pressure sender at the belt end of the motor?

I'll have to run it by my wife first, but I may be able to trade you our firstborn for the dual-carbs/manifold/linkage/fuel system.

I don't remember what the cam is at the moment. The plumbing is a remote oil filter, it's got an Accusump fitted and plumbed in there too.

I found the spec for the camshaft. It's a 1500 X1/9 cam re-profiled by Kent Cams to their FT7 fast road spec.

20190623_164056.jpg

Carbs removed, now for the rat's nest of the ignition system and the accusump

20190623_170116.jpg

Back