Timing and Vacuum Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Timing and Vacuum Questions<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 6 2001 at 7:44 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Rob"); // --> </SCRIPT>Rob <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Happy New Year everybody!

Well, I have tweaked the 80 X I bought on 12/2 and it is running great (thanks to Mr. Fiske for some spare parts on the way home from picking it up
happy.gif
). I just came in from the garage after trying to check the timing - I'm getting ready to take it in for it's inspection sticker and here in Raleigh they have tailpipe/smog testing. However, when I took off the guard to the timing belt, I see there is no belt on the the vacuum/air pump
sad.gif

Question 1 - Is there a chance that a carbureted 1500 cc engine would pass the test without an operational pump (a 1980 vehicle has to meet 2.0 ppm CO and 250 ppm hydrocarbon limits)? Even if it passes, having the pump disconnected would probably be considered a violation in itself...

Question 2 - Is the lack of vacuum the reason why the car idle is a little fast (i.e., 1000 rpm)? Haynes says to check timing at 850 rpm, but mine seems to be happiest at 1000 minimum or it runs rough. I searched the archives for posts on timing and John Hurlock noted that fast idle problems can be associated with air leaks with the pollution control system.

Question 3 - If I go ahead and install a new belt on the pump, will I lose all of the pep it currently has? I'd prefer to dodge that bullet if possible, since I'd have to remove the alternator belt just to get it on and it looks like a real knuckle buster of a job.

Any pointers you all can come up with would be greatly appreciated. I'm puckering the upholstery every time I pass a police car - no inspection sticker = ~$90 fine. But I just can't force myself to leave her parked in the garage...
wink.gif
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mark F.[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I think you'll be fine without it if...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 7 2001, 6:49 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->...you get the rest of it running OK. A 79 X1/9 I bought made it throught our test which has similar limits. That was without any smog equipment at all. Just get the timing set right and you should be fine.

The fast idle could be vacuum leak, idle/idle mixture, or timing advanced a little too much. The engine often does idle more smoothly at 900-1000 rpm. Just adjust to 850 to check the timing then bring it back up to where you like it. Bear in mind that the factory tach is none too accurate and that the idle may need to be below a certain level for the emissions test.

Good luck!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Rob"); // --> </SCRIPT>Rob <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Passed with flying colors<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 10 2001, 6:10 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mark:

Had the inspection today and all equipment worked and the results of the tailpipe test were 0.14 CO and 99 HC. Hoowee! Now I'm legal (except most speed limits...
happy.gif
)

Thanks for the reply.

Rob<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back