tire size opinions (15")

sizes

• 205/50 all around

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 205/50 in front 225/45 in the rear (Hussein is using this combo if I remember the dallara thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 205/50 front 245/40 in the rear

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 225/45 front 245/40 rear

• strength training, and rework the entire front suspension and 245/40 all around. (sarcasm)

• Total voters
for my purposes, the air dam was simple. I knew I was going to do flares, so I didnt permanently mount it. but I have 8 self taping screws holding it now. I bought it from hussein when he started his dallara so I ma not sure if there was any trimming needed. I dont have the stock air dam as mine was the rubber that fell apart. but the dam almost sits on the stubs of the stack dam, the nubs that connect to the stock air dam center piece. I put the screws in by myself without the need for anything else holding the airdam up. Just me holding it. I do believe (i would have to go through the messages between him and I) he put an aluminum brace across the main bottom of the airdam as an extra strength piece (fiberglassed in)

Odie

Thanks Odie. I recall his post back when he first installed it on his X, and it seemed like there was a fair amount of modification/body work required...which is why I was seeking the experiences of others. I'll be interested to see what you end up doing with your wheels, flares, air dam, etc. For mine I had a set of Campagnolo's that I want to mount, and they are not wide enough to use flares. So I had custom spacers/adapters made to mount them as flush as I could without a lot of clearance issues. Now I need to decide on the spoiler/dam.

Thanks Odie. I recall his post back when he first installed it on his X, and it seemed like there was a fair amount of modification/body work required...which is why I was seeking the experiences of others. I'll be interested to see what you end up doing with your wheels, flares, air dam, etc. For mine I had a set of Campagnolo's that I want to mount, and they are not wide enough to use flares. So I had custom spacers/adapters made to mount them as flush as I could without a lot of clearance issues. Now I need to decide on the spoiler/dam.
If you're careful you dont have to do any body modification other than drilling the mounting holes. I managed to get mine to fit on without reshaping any part of the front.

I love the wheel discussions. With big flairs, and standard rear offset, sky's the limit!
215 50/13 on 8's, 235 50/13 on 10's. Bitch of a time finding replacement rubber though, having to go to Avons at about $1100 per set.
IMG_0769.PNG

Have the 225s mounted. With the 15x8 0 offset and I don't have coil overs, I put on a 1/2 inch spacer. Pretty tight but with the flares I will be able to trim the fenders to make it fit. Unless i only want to drive straight and never hit any bumps... So looks like 245s for the rear are on its way. Here are some pics of the front. Thanks to brayden for helping me with this. Lots of pics back and forth.

Odie

Attachments

• 20180203_160236.jpg
    20180203_160236.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 20180203_160247.jpg
    20180203_160247.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 20180203_160933.jpg
    20180203_160933.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 122
I used 15x8" zero-offset Corsa XR wheels from VickAuto, with hubcentric rings for the front and hubcentric spacers for the rear. 225/45x15 in rear, 205x50x15 tires in front. Car handles REALLY well at high speeds. Sweeping curves and lane changes at 80+ are beautiful. This is in combination with the custom coilovers using Bilstein (VW Rabbit application) inserts, can't recall what spring rate, but they are progressives. Having a higher output engine obviously alters the characteristics.

I love the wheel discussions. With big flairs, and standard rear offset, sky's the limit!
215 50/13 on 8's, 235 50/13 on 10's. Bitch of a time finding replacement rubber though, having to go to Avons at about $1100 per set.
View attachment 8184

Hi tigeravg. I still have one set remaining of the tarmac rally tires from this thread:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/195-50-13-225-45-13-hi-perf-tires.25675/#post-213570

They would be perfect for your 13 x 8 and 13 x 10 wheels. A far better tire than the Avons, and way cheaper.

Doug

I used 15x8" zero-offset Corsa XR wheels from VickAuto, with hubcentric rings for the front and hubcentric spacers for the rear. 225/45x15 in rear, 205x50x15 tires in front. Car handles REALLY well at high speeds. Sweeping curves and lane changes at 80+ are beautiful. This is in combination with the custom coilovers using Bilstein (VW Rabbit application) inserts, can't recall what spring rate, but they are progressives. Having a higher output engine obviously alters the characteristics.

I emailed serpent auto last week to find out how much hub centric spacers would be as well as the time it would take to make. With 1/2 spacers in (I have some for the 13" wheels I had for the rear) I have ~11 mm clearance to the stock strut in front. Vicks is currently out of stock on their coil over, and my budget is pretty tapped, so the spacers will be easier. Because your dallara pretty much eliminates the stock fenders, the spots I am needing to clear on mine are fine on yours. Since Vicks posted the corsa's I have always wondered about them. your build made me decide. But not wanting to be total twinsies (even though we will have the same wheels, and I have your old air dam) , I am opting for the flares instead. They also are less expensive ans WAY less work.

Odie

Odie, if you mounted 1/2" spacers (roughly 12mm) and have 11mm clearance, then you should be able to mount them without any spacer for testing purposes. The tire will rub the spring but with the tire pressure lowered a little it will go on so you can take more measurements. Previously I measured the difference between the stock struts/springs and coil-overs with respect to tire clearance. I should be able to dig that up if you need it, but its easy to determine yourself. But it sounds like just the stock spacers (5mm) would be enough to run these wheels/tires without coil-overs nor the need for hub-centric rings, etc.

Your picture illustrates something I've found with the X's design that is interesting. The front suspension isn't centered with the wheel-well/fender arch. This seems to be the same for every X I've seen with wider tires. Here is what I'm referring to:
20180203_160236.jpg

You could extend the front track rod (anti brake, trailing arm) to center the wheel better. But that will change the castor angle to less-positive and cause the steering to get a bit twitchy. The arm can be lengthened by altering the length (thickness) of the rubber cushion between the pivot mount point and the nut and add a shim to lengthen the other rubber on the opposite side.

I could go with a slightly thinner spacer, or possibly 2 stock spacers (bad juju), but putting in the 1/2 makes me feel a little bit safer clearance. Because I am putting on the flares, and cutting the fender, I am not worried about the centering as much. I can make the flares make it look more centered. I will take more pics later.

Odie

Thanks Odie. I recall his post back when he first installed it on his X, and it seemed like there was a fair amount of modification/body work required.

This pic shows the added attachments for the serpent auto spoiler to the body, and tabs for the grille. I did add a glassed-in reinforcement bar through the lip area.

X19_0894.jpg

195/50/15 Toyo Proxies work well without cutting, but i do have coil overs. The 195/50 Toyos are a weird tire. They are as wide as a 205/50/15 but not as tall. They are incredibly sticky for street use.
IMG_2642.JPG
Or 245/40/15 8" wide wheels, 0 offset, no spacer in rear and stock spacer in the front, cut fenders.
IMG_9877.JPG

Hi tigeravg. I still have one set remaining of the tarmac rally tires from this thread:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/195-50-13-225-45-13-hi-perf-tires.25675/#post-213570

They would be perfect for your 13 x 8 and 13 x 10 wheels. A far better tire than the Avons, and way cheaper.

Doug
Thanks for the info. Really don't want to sacrifice width. The Avons are 215 50/13 and 245 45/13. This fills out the wells perfectly, and is the widest I can put on without rubbing. I also do some serious long distance and don't require a super stick shoe. Thanks again.

446F5A00-4776-4268-908F-EB8C477F29BB.png
43E89F7D-A756-4FD4-B4CC-38C0A96D35A3.png
How thick spacers are You using in the rear?

I’m looking at 15x8 et0 15x9 et0 wheels..

Back