To rust repair or not to rust repair

I thought those quotes were for the window and all the rockers and trunk and ... everywhere else with rust.

Just for the windshield that's preposterous.

I thought those quotes were for the window and all the rockers and trunk and ... everywhere else with rust.

Just for the windshield that's preposterous.

It was for the whole car, pardon the confusion. I was thinking that I should be super thorough.

Definitely don’t want a show car, just a healthy runner that will stick around for a while so I can learn and have fun.

In that case you need to join the ranks of rat car owners and just forget about the rust and drive your car till the wheels fall off (I actually had a 124 sedan where one of the wheels did fall off). I think rust is the only thing holding my windshield in place and it didn't cost me anything to do that.

Bottom line is that should have started with a good weather protection strategy and I better figure that out now. Expensive mistake. My car cover probably doesn’t keep out condensation well enough.

actually a car cover does promote condensation; i havent got a garage and i'm forced to use car covers for my vintage car, must uncover the car every day to be sure it drys before put on the covers for the night; body protection against rust can also should be made by spraying wax or oil in the cavities, undercarriage, under wheel arcs etc...

All my young life I was able to park my motorcycles in garages at home and parking garage at work. Then I moved to a townhouse for a bit and had to park my Honda CBX under a cover outside and almost immediately every bit of cheap chrome started surface rusting.

I have used car covers a bit but not impressed with what they are supposed to accomplish as I always found the car wet under the cover after a rain.

Until my garage situation gets sorted out, I've been storing my X outside under a cover. Since the car is nearly completely rust free I decided to splurge and bought an expensive cover that claimed to be water proof.

Turns out it is. The cover is made of at least 3 layers. The bottom layer that touches the car is a soft felt like material, and the top layer is your typical "car cover" material. Sandwiched in between is at least one waterproof tarp-like platsic layer (there might actually be multiple layers of this tarp-like material).

As long as the cover goes on when the car is dry, the car stays dry no matter how hard it's raining. I've taken it off a few times immediately after a storm to check on how effective it is and I've yet to find a wet car underneath lol.

It obviously won't do anything to combat humidity (but then again a detached garage without a dehumidifier won't do much better), but keeping the car actually dry in the rain is a big advantage over all other cheap covers I've used in the past.

Until my garage situation gets sorted out, I've been storing my X outside under a cover. Since the car is nearly completely rust free I decided to splurge and bought an expensive cover that claimed to be water proof.

Turns out it is. The cover is made of at least 3 layers. The bottom layer that touches the car is a soft felt like material, and the top layer is your typical "car cover" material. Sandwiched in between is at least one waterproof tarp-like platsic layer (there might actually be multiple layers of this tarp-like material).

As long as the cover goes on when the car is dry, the car stays dry no matter how hard it's raining. I've taken it off a few times immediately after a storm to check on how effective it is and I've yet to find a wet car underneath lol.

It obviously won't do anything to combat humidity (but then again a detached garage without a dehumidifier won't do much better), but keeping the car actually dry in the rain is a big advantage over all other cheap covers I've used in the past.

aarpcard, that sounds like an improvement over mine, what is the brand?

i use 2 covers, the first one it's the original fiat aftermarket cover, it is 46 years old, has couple of patches and fit like glove the body of my 128 coupe SL, on this i put a cheap cover (chinese made, eu 39,90 free shipping on ebay), plus a couple of ropes to avoid the wind carry off the covers; it's waterproof, but condensation produce some wet; i let opened down the doors' glasses as looks like in this way interiors stay more dry: i never let the covers on more then necessary (rain, humid nights); of course a garage with controlled temperature\humidity would be a better accomodation for an old lady..but i aint live in the UK, it rains here but not every 365 days..4 month in a year are pretty dry, the rest must deal with..i also try to have the car well coated (wax, oil, grease..) and the small rust spots sorted the best i can, bricolage is one of the joys of owning a retrocar

aarpcard, that sounds like an improvement over mine, what is the brand?

http://www.oxgord.com/auto-accessor...-covers/executive/executive-car-cover-sm.html

This is what I ended up getting. They make cheaper ones with fewer layers too. I also think Amazon might sell them at a discount. It obviously isn't talored to the X1/9, but it has eyelets you can attach bungie cords to and a drawstring. The XS fits, but if I had to buy it again, I would have bought the S.

If you don't drive in the rain/snow then fluid film won't come off for a loooong time.

This is a video I made, great rustproofer.

Should be applied on metal before rust has started however.

http://www.oxgord.com/auto-accessor...-covers/executive/executive-car-cover-sm.html

This is what I ended up getting. They make cheaper ones with fewer layers too. I also think Amazon might sell them at a discount. It obviously isn't talored to the X1/9, but it has eyelets you can attach bungie cords to and a drawstring. The XS fits, but if I had to buy it again, I would have bought the S.

So, it’s the 7 layer “storm proof” executive SM in size small? Any pics of yours in place?

..that's why is expensive! BTW i'm just back from a coating\cavity spraying session..i ended spraying first motor oil (the cheapest that i use in my cinquecento 900cc) as "primer", then cavity wax..in open areas for example wheels arcs i simply hand brushed an oil\grease mixture; in that zones where i want avoid a mess, i used spray vaseline..the goal is a well greasy car in any part i can reach

So, it’s the 7 layer “storm proof” executive SM in size small? Any pics of yours in place?

Yep, that's right. I bought the extra-small size instead of the small. It fits, but I think the small would fit better (it would probably come down farther in the rear).

car cover1.jpg

car cover3.jpg

car cover4.jpg

car cover2.jpg

Back