To swap or not to swap

I remember seeing an X with a 2.8 v6 Chevy in it!! Half the motor was in the rear trunk!!

You are probably thinking of this swap. I don't think is was a 2.8.
7161908b.JPG

Reminds me of the Grand Tour episode where the boys were talking about how old sports cars are terrible by modern standards and the various companies that "improve" old cars like Jags and Mercedes with modern components and how these conversions are eyewateringly expensive.

What you guys are really talking about is totally stripping an X down to a bare tub and then filling it with all modern components. A fun project for sure but it will be more expensive than buying a two or three year old performance car that will probably still outperform the modernized X.

I can't wait to follow along on the build thread of such a project.

A fun project for sure but it will be more expensive than buying a two or three year old performance car that will probably still outperform the modernized X.

I would argue this point a bit. I know I would lose the argument if it was viewed purely from numbers. A variety of new-ish cars could probably perform as well as my K20 X as far as 0-60, lateral G, etc.

But if you count "performance" as seat of the pants, thrill of driving, then there is no substitute. That's why we all own these cars, after all. So take the great stock X driving experience and make it better by bringing it up to par with modern "numbers" standards, and you have a stellar car.

When I set out to have Matt build the X, I certainly considered the alternative routes (buy a used Caymen for example). But I did not go that way, even though the money would have been similar. A number of factors played into that decision, but the bottom line is, there are a bunch of people on here that love the X enough to not leave it behind for something else, but rather, take it's strong suit (handling) and shore up the other not-so-strong areas.

I've been driving these cars for more then 3 decades, and the love affair never gets old. I'm not going to find that in a recently built sports car, at least, one I could reasonably afford.

Pete

You are probably thinking of this swap. I don't think is was a 2.8.

Looks like it might be a Chevy 3.8 V6. Which is a pretty good engine. However, I am really curious as to what transaxle they would use in this case, as the half-shafts would be under the oil pan. Hmm.

It's a Buick, on a Toronado trans; current owner is a member here.

I've always been kind of curious about this swap. I understand the Toronado was a front engine, front wheel drive car. But to see it in that orientation in the X (water pump facing back) I don't know how it doesn't have 3 reverse gears and 1 forward gear.

Pete

I ‘d like to see more photo’s of the underside and interior as it looks like the bellhousing would seriously encrouch the cabin! Still not the one I saw! Wonder how light the front end is and how well it pulls!!!!

My 2 cents: It's all about - what is it you really want? My previous build was a '61 Mini in which I installed a 2.0L VTEC etc. I wanted to build a real light high hp car which I did. But the downfall is that no matter how much money I spent (Quaife LSD, custom suspension etc.) it was always going to be a front wheel drive car with too much hp (I hadn't owned one in over 25 yrs and forgot what FWD cars are like, doh) and a bit fragile (think '61 British). I wanted an auto-x car but because of the way it drove under power it turned out to be a track car which was fun but much riskier when considering there is always one knucklehead out on the track with you and again the car was a bit fragile(I have stories).

So when it was time to move on from that adventure and start a new build I seriously thought about what is it I really enjoy the most in building and driving a classic sports car? As it turns out it wasn't the track days although I really enjoyed them but they can be extremely harsh on your car. What I did enjoy the most were the car rally's, group road drives (a spirited group) and the car shows. On the build side I definitely wanted to do the body and paint myself which was already done on the Mini and be able to update parts not redesign the installation.

Of the three the Mini was the best at the car shows! As I pointed out above it was not as enjoyable in tight slower turns - go figure, and long rally’s in that monster really took a physical toll on me. So for this new build I wanted to concentrate more on the rally, group drive side. And of course by the time it's back on the road it will be a nice show car to.

With the make and model picked out I decide I would do a complete restore but with the best high performance modern upgrades keeping as much of the original intent and design as possible. Which meant keeping the 1.3L but adding dual Webers, cam, really big valve head etc. Street able high performance. I don't need this car to drive at 100+ (my TT handles that as it has been to 150 with 1k rpm left) but to have fun in the twisties and on rally’s.

I figure if in the future I get bored with the 1.3L I can always go the Honda route but for now I'm preserving my X in the true spirit of an Italian road going sports car!

My 2 cents: It's all about - what is it you really want? My previous build was a '61 Mini in which I installed a 2.0L VTEC etc. I wanted to build a real light high hp car which I did. But the downfall is that no matter how much money I spent (Quaife LSD, custom suspension etc.) it was always going to be a front wheel drive car with too much hp (I hadn't owned one in over 25 yrs and forgot what FWD cars are like, doh) and a bit fragile (think '61 British). I wanted an auto-x car but because of the way it drove under power it turned out to be a track car which was fun but much riskier when considering there is always one knucklehead out on the track with you and again the car was a bit fragile(I have stories).

So when it was time to move on from that adventure and start a new build I seriously thought about what is it I really enjoy the most in building and driving a classic sports car? As it turns out it wasn't the track days although I really enjoyed them but they can be extremely harsh on your car. What I did enjoy the most were the car rally's, group road drives (a spirited group) and the car shows. On the build side I definitely wanted to do the body and paint myself which was already done on the Mini and be able to update parts not redesign the installation.

Of the three the Mini was the best at the car shows! As I pointed out above it was not as enjoyable in tight slower turns - go figure, and long rally’s in that monster really took a physical toll on me. So for this new build I wanted to concentrate more on the rally, group drive side. And of course by the time it's back on the road it will be a nice show car to.

With the make and model picked out I decide I would do a complete restore but with the best high performance modern upgrades keeping as much of the original intent and design as possible. Which meant keeping the 1.3L but adding dual Webers, cam, really big valve head etc. Street able high performance. I don't need this car to drive at 100+ (my TT handles that as it has been to 150 with 1k rpm left) but to have fun in the twisties and on rally’s.

I figure if in the future I get bored with the 1.3L I can always go the Honda route but for now I'm preserving my X in the true spirit of an Italian road going sports car!

You had the right idea with the Mini, you just picked the wrong spot to put the engine!

303ED2E6-E27B-4481-9BF0-F2E3576540B1.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E1B2913-0EA9-476D-8B05-BA4BB3EBAADD.jpeg
    0E1B2913-0EA9-476D-8B05-BA4BB3EBAADD.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 63
Not found in north America. I only wanted to mention stuff that can be sourced in quite a few places.

Don't forget that any drivetrain besides the K20 (which has an available subframe kit) will require much trial & error to both balance the drivetrain in the car, create a viable mount solution, figure out custom axles, figure out tuning, etc., etc., No matter how you go, it's gonna take months/year or more to complete. Much more if you are figuring it out as you go along. I'm a Volvo guy. I would prefer a Volvo drivetrain, because it's what I know. I still went K24 because it's tried & true, and won't take 5 years to complete :D

Electric! Satan's motor!!!!! Do I have to come over when the snow is gone and give you the keys for an hour to help you make up your mind? Lol

Ha, once technology comes up with a 250 mile battery the size of a conventional gas tank, you will see the hot rod hobby shift to electric motor conversions. You can always have a small propane tank hooked up to a faux exhaust pipe to shoot flames out on simulated downshifts!

Ha, once technology comes up with a 250 mile battery the size of a conventional gas tank, you will see the hot rod hobby shift to electric motor conversions. You can always have a small propane tank hooked up to a faux exhaust pipe to shoot flames out on simulated downshifts!

You forgot: "that you can charge in the amount of time it takes to fill a gas tank".

have you seen videos of old school hot rodders experiencing the torque of electric motors? some of the biggest grins and giggles. I agree that once the weight of an electric comes down it will spark more and more hobbyists jumping on board. I really dont see that far off. Racing has adopted electric as a viable class. Formula E started in 2014 started with only being able to run the races with 2 cars because of how long the power would last. This year it will be only 1. that is quite a bit of tech for only 5 years! I even saw grassroots motor sports is adding an electric class for the $2000 challenge. Fun time for technology indeed.

Odie

have you seen videos of old school hot rodders experiencing the torque of electric motors? some of the biggest grins and giggles. I agree that once the weight of an electric comes down it will spark more and more hobbyists jumping on board. I really dont see that far off. Racing has adopted electric as a viable class. Formula E started in 2014 started with only being able to run the races with 2 cars because of how long the power would last. This year it will be only 1. that is quite a bit of tech for only 5 years! I even saw grassroots motor sports is adding an electric class for the $2000 challenge. Fun time for technology indeed.

Odie
My brother is big into rc planes. Most have switched to electric, as it has the same flight time, and no clean up afterwards!! I said I liked the sound of the gas engines, so then he showed me a video where they install a speaker and program a specific engine sound that changes with throttle speed! Theoretically, you could make your electric car sound like a big block Chevy, formula one, Whatever you wanted!! Google it, it’s pretty cool!

Back