Tom Hanks’s 128 for sale on BaT

He sold a 128P a couple months ago for 80K that went to charity. Afterward, on a 10K at most car, he took a 30K tax charity deduction. I wonder how much he will be able to deduct on the 128.

I went today to troubleshoot a few things on the former Hanks's car... Not as bad as was originally thought.The alternator is cooked, so not charging and needs replacing. The running lights were not working but all other lights were. 3 separate issues were identified and every time we were like "oh, this is obviously the problem", but still no function. The previous had reported a short that would blow the fuse, but the first thing I noticed was that the tail lights were reversed! On the wrong side and upside down! That puts the 2 filament bulb on the outside where it should be a single filament turn signal, but were wired as if they were not reversed. They even wrote in sharpie the colors for each terminal, which is funny because they are already molded in the housing in Italian... 🤨 Obviously the issue? Nope, didn't work after correcting. Check voltage at fuse block, hey look at that! That fuse is missing! Obviously the issue? Nope, didn't work after correcting...😠 Power was present at fuse block where it sends power to the light switch. Checking the switch revealed the final issue. The switch is bad. No power leaving at the running lamp terminal, + the headlamps came on at the 2nd switch position as well as the 3rd which isn't right. So, needs an alternator, 3 position headlamp switch, a door jamb switch, and the car has no hood latch... Starts right up, very clean, except the front seats which were obviously swapped to the torn up items because the rest of the interior is immaculate....😁

Last edited:
No, that
Surely Tom Hanks had enough money to have the seats reupholstered.
I'm sure all Hanks wanted was as big a tax deduction as he could get. New seats would have reduced his profit at the end of the year. These auctions are not about charity.

No, that

I'm sure all Hanks wanted was as big a tax deduction as he could get. New seats would have reduced his profit at the end of the year. These auctions are not about charity.

Are these not his actual personal cars that he decided to sell after years of ownership? This is some sort of flipper tax dodge?

It seems that Hanks would have so many options for how to game the tax system and do write-offs.

When that car was sold a few years earlier the seats were in perfect shape. It's obvious that these were switched because they wanted to keep those for some reason....

Are these not his actual personal cars that he decided to sell after years of ownership? This is some sort of flipper tax dodge?

It seems that Hanks would have so many options for how to game the tax system and do write-offs.
He did the charity thing on BAT with another sub 10K Fiat that sold for 80K. He has figured out how to game the system for sure. I wonder if he takes write offs on donations of his "celebrity" underwear.

He did the charity thing on BAT with another sub 10K Fiat that sold for 80K. He has figured out how to game the system for sure. I wonder if he takes write offs on donations of his "celebrity" underwear.
Yup, just did a quick internet search and he has done "charity" auctions on a lot of other stuff. What a scammer.

Back