Tony Natoli

bbrown

Bob Brown
All,

Tony asked me to update you all on his status.
Some of you may know that Tony was having surgery.
I might be wrong, but in our conversations, he did not know when he went to surgery that his condition was serious.
Without going into too much detail, the doctors have discovered cancer in late stages in his intestines, bladder, and abdomen.
Tony's condition is terminal. It is unknown if he will be able to post on X-Web again but he asked me to let you all know.
When I spoke with Tony, he sounded quite weak and he knows his time is short.

I've been thinking about Tony every day. He is my "brother from another mother" as I often say and we have a bond that is like family.
Over a decade ago, Tony and Sharon opened up their home to me when I was in the LA area on a business trip and we've been close friends ever since. At the time, he only knew me from this Web site. (thank you Ian Macintosh!) Tony's one of X-Web's "old guard" having been here since it changed from from "Seattle X1/9" to X-Web. "Papa Tony" is one of our most revered and respected members. I pray that his time left gives him peace and closure. I also pray for Sharon too. Thankfully, his son Joe and daughter Nicole are by his side to help.

Tony will not likely be able to answer calls or emails but he wanted me to give you this update. I told him I would.
Being 3000 miles away and with Covid looming everywhere makes it hard to visit those we love, but at least I got to tell him that personally.
More as I hear...

My Best, -Bob

Thanks Bob,

I have exchanged a few emails with Tony over the last couple months. I knew he was at the VA and having a hard time recovering from his latest battle with cancer. Tony was a big part of the early years of Xweb and in organizing events for the SoCal crowd. I keep him and his wife Sharon in my prayers. They are both wonderful people.

I flew out to SoCal to meet Tony in person at an event he had at his home in 2006.
Fiat_Club_rich_banks1.jpg

Here are a bunch of us checking out Tony's "Blacktooth".
Fiat_Club_032606 051.jpg

There were Xweb members from all over the country at this event. It was pretty epic.
Fiat_Club_032606 041_names.JPG

Wow. Just wow.

From my first contact with Tony in 2010;
HA!...
I do work HARD at being civil no matter what I really think... and do appreciate the MANY friends I have gained on this site... both cyberly and in person!

He also included his email and phone number. What a guy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Bob.
I remember Tony checking in by phone to one of our meetings at your house and drinking a can of Moxie in his honor.
My thoughts are with him and his family and praying for a miracle.

Very sad news. I know he has been battling serious health issues for some time; we've spoke about it many times and he always seems to maintain a rather positive outlook. Great guy. I recall he was the most active member on the forum way back when I first joined and he made me feel very welcome - as he does with everyone. Thanks Bob for relating the status.

I lurked on this forum for years before I bought my X and signed up proper, over 4 years ago. As I'm sure everyone else has... I have read countless threads and responses from Papa Tony. I've always been impressed by his longevity in this group, his never ending willingness to help and offer his advice to anyone who would listen. And being a member of the X-Web "old guard" it was always sage advice. But most importantly, Tony's sense of humor. I will keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the views of the sender, or, for that matter, any other carbon-based life form; Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; All models are 18 years of age or older; Dry clean only, do not use bleach, Tumble dry and remove immediately; Do not bend, fold, staple or mutilate; Anchovies, cheese or jalapenos may be added to orders upon request for an additional charge; Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt to duplicate; Your actual mileage may vary; No substitutions are allowed; Available for a limited time only while supplies last; Offers are void where prohibited by law; Humor is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied; The user assumes full liabilities and originator is not liable for damages due to use or misuse; We are an equal opportunity employer, with no regard to race, religion, sex, or sexual preference; No shoes, no shirt, no service; Read at your own risk; This post may contain material some may find to be objectionable; Parental advisory: Explicit lyrics; keep away from pets and small children; limit one-per-family please; No money down; No purchase necessary; Ask us about our guns-for-dope trade-in plan; You need not be present to win; Some assembly required; Batteries not included; Action figures sold separately; Contents were packed full at the factory, but may have settled during shipping; Peanuts and peanut products are produced in this establishment and also consumed by the author; Sanitized and sealed for your protection; Do not use if safety seal is broken; Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment; Safety goggles may be required during use; Use gloves when handling; Call before you dig; Use only with proper ventilation; For external use only, if a swelling, redness, rash, or irritation develops, discontinue use; Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; Keep away from open flames; Avoid inhaling fumes or contact with mucous membranes; Contents under pressure, may explode if incinerated; Smoking may be hazardous to your health; No smoking allowed, except in designated areas; The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; Text is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; No animals were harmed while writing this post; No salt, MSG, preservatives, artificial color or flavor added; If ingested, do not induce vomiting, If symptoms persist, consult a comedian; Ribbed for your pleasure, slippery when wet; Must be 18 to enter; No one under 21 allowed; We check IDs to age 40; Seniors Welcome; Ask for our Senior Menu; Present discount coupons to cashier before totaling; An 18% gratuity will be added to the total for parties of 8 or more; We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Return all carts to the store; No dogs allowed, except for the visually impaired; Penalties for early withdrawal, one size fits all; Offer is valid only at participating sites; Prices slightly higher west of the Rockies; Allow four to six weeks for delivery; If defects are found, do not attempt a repair, return to an authorized service center; Please remain seated until the vehicle has come to a complete stop; Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear; Fasten seat belts; In the unlikely event of a loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will fall from above, cover your face first, then assist those around you. Your seat cushion may be used as a floatation device. This disclaimer is invalid in the event of hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, sonic booms, vibration, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts or any other act of war, unauthorized repair, improper installation, misuse, typos, misspelled words, missing or altered signatures, and incidents owing to computer or disk failure, accidental file deletions, and Acts of God. Other restrictions may, or may not apply.

Sad news indeed from our Papa Natoli. May God bless him and his family......Bob let him know we think of him everyday that goes by, we surely miss him not coming here anymore. I salute you Tony, be strong!!!...we are here for you!!

We chatted briefly in a conversation recently, and his health was challenging him. He was very helpful of a small problem I was having as a newbie. We can only hope the best, and that he’s comfortable as possible, and that Doug Flutie can throw one more hail-Mary in his direction. Thank you for your help sir…. :)

Tony was one of the first people to welcome and talk to me on the forums, waaay back in the N54 days. He's been a friend ever since. My thoughts and prayers are with him. I know it's been a long battle that he's fighting.

I had really hoped to meet Tony in person one day. He always seemed larger than life. He was the one who encouraged me to look at aftermarket AC systems when I decided to add AC to my X. It turned out to be an intriguing challenge and was a lot of fun creating it. My prayers are with him.

Very sorry to hear - I value that our X1/9 community is much more than just "a car" - we're an extended family! Papa Tony is certainly part of that family (heck, he's the PAPA!!!). It was really nice that he wanted to reach out to us, even though he can't do it himself right now. Don't know what else to say, but thank you for letting us know @bbrown

Last edited:
I have not been on this forum for quite a while and totally by chance I found this post. Thank you Bob for sharing this sobering news.

Back when I was working away through three different X’s over several years, Tony was often in touch; challenging me, helping me, thanking me for sharing my experiences, etc. He encouraged me to be in touch with local X’ers and added me to emails with them. (He also took me to task for my love of what he felt was a lesser car - a Saab Sonett!. So, Tony!)

Always helpful, he was a positive presence here and I have to believe in his life overall. His signature here said it all - My best,.

Thoughts and good wishes to his family and friends.

I hate that this is happening...I too have been gone for a while, and one of the first things I did when I started logging on again was to see if he was still here and ok, because of the sickness that had been happening, and well you know, we're not getting any younger. This year I lost my friend and neighbor of 30 years also, it was sudden and we were all a little shocked. I never got to meet Tony Natoli in person, and always wished I would get to, as he seemed like a very kind soul....Once he sent me a PM, not about something technical or for sale, but something philosophical, in the aftermath of some sort of discussion where personal feelings were involved
Peaceful and loving thoughts for him and his family

Back