Tool thread

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Regarding old floor jacks. I have a couple that are really old. Bought one new around 35 years ago ("Allied" I think), another one was given to me used about 25 years ago (the same "Sears" you guys have). Both still work, but both developed a little problem along the way. They would very slowly leak down if I left the full weight of the car on it (rather than lowering the car onto stands). Along with the leak down I also noticed they became very difficult to regulate the lowering speed - as I turned the handle to open it they would suddenly drop all the way down. I tried bleeding, topping up the fluid, etc, but no real change. Figured the seals were leaking from age. Then I did a modification to the handle to make it easier to control the release speed. I welded a old socket inside the end of the handle to allow sticking a T-bar sliding-handle (like the pic below) onto the end. The idea was it allow me additional leverage to open it more gently with better control. However I found it offered an additional unexpected benefit. I could also tighten the handle a tad more, which stopped the leak down. Now both work great again. The T-handle can easily snap into either jack or be left off as needed. I'm sure the real answer is to have them rebuilt (if they can be), but I figure I've more than got my money's worth with them so a quick fix is good enough.
51TyGrIBCUL._AC_SY355_.jpg

This will give the basic idea how it looks:
5-ton-floor-jack-01.jpg

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Speaking of old jacks, I have some cool ones that my dad left behind.

One is the floor jack I used as a kid in his garage. It was a lever ratcheting type (not hydraulic), with a really long handle. Kind of like these:
images.jpg listing_pic_1105558_1447614927_4.jpg

Another is a early hydraulic "bumper jack". It was used on cars back when they had real bumpers. You placed the ends under the bumper and lifted the car that way. Looks just like this one but has a hydraulic cylinder in the center:
unnamed (1).jpg
This is an idea how it works:
Jacks-3.jpg
Unfortunately one of the legs broke off ages ago and it has sat so long everything is rusted solid now.

There is a "screw" type that looks like a bottle jack but is mechanical. And a couple of odd looking "scissor" types. Maybe others that I don't recall. They are buried in a old shed.

Bjorn Nilson

True Classic
Last week I bought a new jack. The old one was leaking and I had exactly the experience like Dr Jeff. I wanted a super low jack to go under my very low cars, and still be able to get them as high as possible. Found this 1.5 ton "Pela" that works from 70 to 700 mm. It makes my life in the garage much easier.
upload_2020-5-9_11-17-59.png

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Might be worth mentioning....

I just saw a recall notice on Harbor Freight jack stands. It pertains to models: 61196, 61197, and 56371, purchased between 2013 and 2020 (depending on model). The issue is stated as something to the effect of possible release of the stand when the vehicle is shaken. They are offering a gift card for the purchase price if you return them.

I happen to have a pair of one of these models (mine are the 6-ton), which I use for the extra height and not the weight capacity. I've had one of my X's on them for a couple years while restoring it. The car has been shaken, stirred, and otherwise disturbed without incident, so I'm not sure just how critical this is. To me they look exactly like all of the other jack stands I have (several sets of various sizes and brands). Therefore I wonder if this was only the result of a nuisance lawsuit by some idiot with more lawyer than common sense. But who knows.

I'm sure you can get the details on their website.