Torque with LSD in X1/9 5 speed

Looks more like an autocross course with elevation change. Looks like fun, all too brief :)

With that amount of bumpiness, elevation and camber change I am not surprised you are getting front wheel lockup.

Funny you call this a hill climb :) This is what I am used to: http://www.hillclimb.org/events/event_burke.html

I ran that club for a year or two back in the 1980s, lots of fun times.

Last edited:
That is a really narrow road, almost reminds me of a golfcart road at a golfcourse! Looks like fun. Nice job!

Emmerson Fittipaldi said: "most drivers drive the slow corners to fast and the fast corners to slow."

Which basically means; don't overdrive the slow corners. Brake lockup and throttle understeer are characteristics of overdriving slow corners. The technique is to get off the brake earlier to let the car turn. It can't turn if you're at 100% braking. Nor can it accelerate if your at 100% turning.

That aside, I have seen this very thing frequently and experienced it myself. Adding an LSD isn't a magic fix and has its own issues. You're typically better off without the LSD and setting up the car to not spin the inside rear on corner exit.

Last time here was 6 years ago with no LSD, and I was getting the inside wheel spinning, and that meant it wasn't bogging down. Run times are no faster, but still good fun.
So, this is with LSD? I can image there would be a lot more wheel spin without LSD on those tight corners. Surprised to hear that run times are not faster than without LSD on such twisted track. How much power do you have?
BTW, the sound of the engine is wonderful. 🎶👍

Appreciate all the comments/ advice, will take them on. Generally I don't find much difference with or without LSD, the main advantage is that it is much stronger and not likely to explode when doing fast starts. The very tight RH turn is the only corner I had wheel spin pre LSD, but not a big issue. Power is 135 hp @ flywheel. I will be replacing the 3 year old front tyres before the next event as they are shot, that should help also.

Back