Torque

Loren Field

True Classic
Hi - my manuals are confusing me (not hard to do these days) - can anyone tell me what the following bolts/nuts should be torqued at:

1. The bolts that connect the engine block to the bell housing
2. The the bolt that goes through the rubber doughnuts and attaches the rear engine mounting bracket to the rear panel
3. The nuts which attach the rear panel to fenders

Thanks in advance, Loren in Indy

Loren, not sure if this answers your question...
Manuals do not always specify a specific torque for many fasteners. Usually that means there really isn't one, tighten it by hand feel. But in those instances you could also refer to a general torque value for the size and type of fastener in question. There are lots of charts available for that online*. Otherwise if there is a specific torque value given in the factory manual, then naturally that would supersede the generic charts.

* https://www.google.com/search?sourc...pAhXCvp4KHSo0Dy8QsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1366&bih=625

Loren, not sure if this answers your question...
Manuals do not always specify a specific torque for many fasteners. Usually that means there really isn't one, tighten it by hand feel. But in those instances you could also refer to a general torque value for the size and type of fastener in question. There are lots of charts available for that online*. Otherwise if there is a specific torque value given in the factory manual, then naturally that would supersede the generic charts.

* https://www.google.com/search?sourc...pAhXCvp4KHSo0Dy8QsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1366&bih=625
Hi - many thanks for the link and the advice :) Best, ljf

I can't seem to find a torque spec. for the bellhousing bolts at the moment. Yes, you *could* use a generic torque spec chart as a guide. Use a lockwasher along with some blue loctite. I recently did these and hand-tightened them.

For #2 and #3, I would use a nyloc nut (and washers) and tighten 'til snug.

20200426_201800.jpg
Found this on page 118 of my Fiat 850 looseleaf manual. No guarantee that it is correct for all years.
For the other bolts I would follow myredracer's advice.
NOTE: I readily admit that I never have used a torque wrench on any of these bolts....

Thanks Gene - that is the same value I found in a table in an old "Autobooks" manual that covered 850s (it was not in the Fiat 850 shop manual I got from Bruce's Parts Bin years ago). I appreciate the effort, and will give it a go. Take care, Loren

Hi - can anyone tell me what the following bolts/nuts should be torqued at:

1. The bolts that connect the engine block to the bell housing

54.2 to 61.5 ft/lbs (Factory 850 Shop Manual page 190 "Clutch housing-to-engine screw").

2. The bolt that goes through the rubber doughnuts and attaches the rear engine mounting bracket to the rear panel

27.5 ft/lbs (Factory 850 Shop Manual pages 68 & 192 "Engine rear mounting bracket-to-body shell screw nut").

3. The nuts which attach the rear panel to fenders

Tight + 1/4 turn more. ;)

Back