Total overhaul project of an 1980 X1

TomasL

True Classic
Now, since the whole thing has turned over to a complete project, I think that this sub-forum is the best place for reporting progress.
I have now removed basically everything in the front of the car.
I will start working with the rust front to back.
One question though
Whats the heck is this plastic thing:
WP_20210912_13_43_52_Pro.jpg

Some different views of the front:
WP_20210912_16_04_38_Pro.jpgWP_20210912_16_04_45_Pro.jpgWP_20210912_16_05_01_Pro.jpgWP_20210912_16_05_38_Pro.jpg

What is your opinions on this type off tool, to cut out the window, it was recommended by Ant in Wheeler Dealers
R (1).jpg

Todays progress.
Stripped out one door completly, dash removed, half front window cut out.

Guessing that tomorrow the whole windscreen will come out (in one piece hopefully).
Other plans for tomorrow is obviously strip out the other door, remove the white interior behaind the seets, carpets etc.

The screws holding the doors will not come out, despite impact wrench, guess I have to use oxy-acetylen to heat them.

Had two screws in my door hinges that where stuck , took 3/16 drill bit and drilled them through,then took 5/16 and drilled off the head ,once the door was off took stud that was left out with easy out,

Todays progress.
Stripped out one door completly, dash removed, half front window cut out.

Guessing that tomorrow the whole windscreen will come out (in one piece hopefully).
Other plans for tomorrow is obviously strip out the other door, remove the white interior behaind the seets, carpets etc.

The screws holding the doors will not come out, despite impact wrench, guess I have to use oxy-acetylen to heat them.
Since new windshields are expensive or hard to find, you should consider instead of "remove windshield tomorrow", try using that special tool being careful to NEVER LET THE BLADE TO TOUCH THE GLASS. Go about 5 cm /per ten minutes. Be careful and patient and you will get it out. Go fast and risk damaging the glass. If you ruin it, I have a used one for $150.

Yes, I am very careful, so far I have cut out about 50% of the sealant.
I am using same type of tool that I posted previously and a razor blade knife. (the type where you can break of the blade)

As far as I know there is no heating element in the sealant.

Buddy of mine who is actually pretty good at removing X windshields has since gone to commercial windshield replacing companies. They remove the windshield and come back later when the bodywork/painting is done and reinstall it.

Complete success :) windwhield out, no damages.
The last door stripped.
Steering collumn removed, as well as the pedal assembly.
Park brake lever is out and the carpet as well.

It seems like the heater core is leaking, the felt-mat under the carpet was very green, and the floors in the footwells basically gone.
The stupid PO put a couple of newspapers under the carpet, probably to adsorb the leaking fluid, and left them there, in order to speed up the rust-process.

The Wire Lock is obviously a little bit to big (release lever for the front hood)
WP_20210919_12_29_14_Pro.jpg

The window frame seems to be fairly ok actually
WP_20210919_12_27_49_Pro.jpgWP_20210919_12_28_00_Pro.jpgWP_20210919_12_28_18_Pro.jpg

The mounting bolts for the door hinges can be extremely difficult. I haven't tried it but someone posted about a tool that is supposed to work really good for things like this. It combines a air hammer, a standard square drive (for a socket), and a wrench:
s-l300.jpg

Use a hex bit socket on it:
09219354.jpg

And a long wrench over the tool, while driving it with the air hammer.

Has anyone used the procedure in the service manual where you apply 24V to the heating element buried in the sealant to soften it?
Don, if there was a thin wire in there do you really think it hasn't rusted away by now? But let's say you were lucky and it hasn't rusted away. It is a Fiat electrical item, do you really think it will work? :p

Back