transmission installation question

Duncan

True Classic
Took the advice of Bernice and Steve H and fitted a new clutch with the help of a buddie.

Now am trying to get the transmission back on the car.

Spent 4 hours with a friend trying to get it back on - no luck.

My question is - are the splines not realigning with the clutch and if this is the case how do you check to make sure that they are going to mate up? My buddie reckons that the clutch is centered but he thinks the splines in the bell housing are not lining up with the clutch so the transmission won't go in.

Could this be the case?

Regards

Duncan

Good question -

Get a buddie to slowly turn the rear wheel on the passenger side while you wiggle the transmission into place. It's important the "other" rear wheel (or axle spline) doesn't turn, otherwise the effort is ineffective.

The transmission spline will (internally) turn and allow you to slip that sucker in.

Good luck

Get a buddie to slowly turn the rear wheel on the passenger side while you wiggle the transmission into place. It's important the "other" rear wheel (or axle spline) doesn't turn, otherwise the effort is ineffective.

:confused: No offense but I don't understand what you are describing.

Typically, this problem is the clutch disk isn't properly aligned. You need a clutch alignment tool to ensure that the clutch disk is centered.

The process is to loosen the bolts on the pressure plate so that the drive plate (disk) can be moved within the pressure plate. Then insert the alignment tool until it engages the hole in the end of the crankshaft. Once centered, torque the pressure plate bolts and remove the alignment tool. A dowel of appropriate size makes an acceptable alternate to the alignment tool.

Then using the alignment studs as described in the installation section of 5 speed 101 the trans should slide into place. It may take a try or two but it should go.

Bob is just suggesting that rotating the shaft a bit

... can help the splines lined up and through the clutch disk. It can help, or at least it's helped me. Twisting the entire transmission a bit works too.

But this is all assuming the clutch disk is properly aligned. As SteveH points out, if you didn't use an alignment tool (dowel, broomstick, stray piece of pipe, ...) chances are that you aren't aligned.

A real paranoid will try the new clutch disk on the output shaft of the transmission once, just to be sure that the splines really do mate properly, before installing the clutch.

Also check for the little alignment inserts that go into the two bottom bellhousing-to-block fasteners (one bolt, one stud+nut). You wouldn't accidentally have one in the block and one in the new tranny, would you?

The splines get me everytime!

A rat would learn this sooner than I seem to.

If the splines aren't lined up the tranny will not go no matter what. A slight rotation (one wheel blocked) will usually get it right.

Back