Transmission leak at axle boot?

madmechanic

Low Mileage
Hi all,
I noticed a puddle under my Yugo the other day and it ended up being gear oil from the transmission. I found it leaking from the inner CV axle boot on the left side. I had planned on replacing both boots since they were getting cracked, and so I have new ones already. However, these being different from a normal CV axle, I am unsure if that's ALL I need. Since these boots are stationary and do not spin with the axle, I see there is a seal on the small end. Is this the only seal responsible for keeping the gear oil in? Or is there yet another seal that keeps the gear oil inside the transmission case, with grease being the separate lubricant for the inner CV joint? I haven't been able to find a parts breakdown or photo that shows what's in there.

Hi,
You should have all you need. The inner boot should fit into the metal frame and press the boot to the case. IIRC you just remove a spring clip and slide the tripod off then swap boots out a reassemble.
Good luck,
Regards

The boots come in different 'qualities' ... some have the inner bush in a sintered metal, some in plastic...and yes the seal does the job of retaining oil in the transmission. The issue is sometimes the axle wears with a bit of a groove where the seal runs, and then even a new seal has trouble keeping the axle sealed. If the axle is grooved where the seal runs you'll need to address this or the new boot is going to leak.

Transmission oil lubricates the inner joint, known as a 'tripode' joint, which you'll need to remove to replace the inner axle boot. There's a circlip and splines holding it onto the axle shaft, just treat it carefully as they are easy to damage when R&Ring them, they are pretty robust when in their receptacle.

SteveC

I'll check for a groove and make sure it's smooth for reassembly. The boots I found have a plastic bushing. Has to be good enough for a Yugo. :cool:

Some of the gear oil flows into the boots while driving, so squeeze the boots before you pull them off to try to get as much oil as possible back into the transmission case. This isn't critical, it just reduces the mess when you pull the boots.

My Yugos had some wear on the axle but the oil level does not go as high as the center of the axle... There is no pressure so as long as it is not wobbling around, like you could lose a screwdriver in the space between the axle and seal, you should be fine. You are losing oil through a torn or cracked boot if I read your post correctly. Properly sorted and sealed up a Yugo is a really fun reliable ride!
Do you have exhaust smell in the cabin? I chased this on both of mine. One I never solved but sold it. The other one I did get straight I found they never installed a flange gasket between the manifold and the down pipe.
Regards

I have to do the same job on my 128, drivers side. I think there's a nick in my boot & with redline in the gear box, it's an expensive leak. GL1 is likely going back in, but still gotta fix it so I'm not chronically marking my spot.

Back