transmission modification

Wow holy crypt opening of a thread. Unlikely that many of the posters from then will (or can in some cases) respond.

The answer to your question is likely the 13:53 (ie 4.1) as it will give more torque to start and you will rev higher for a given speed which with a small, low torque engine you will need.

No matter what you will have a shift in 400 meters so it will be a matter of what gives you the best torque multiplication.

Seeing this thread prompted me to pull out some old FAZA literature. Al was selling two different 5 speed conversions, one made by Bacci for $625, and one made by Colotti for $700. He goes into quite a bit of detail on the conversion and the impact on performance and fuel economy. Also found a little info he had on the Abarth 5 speed conversion

I have an Alquati 5 speed conversion in my ‘74:

8FF76746-C3F9-48B9-AE72-43ACBEBEA09C.jpeg

D4582389-AB5F-4B26-8D15-2D1EBF30B8B2.jpeg

Seeing this thread prompted me to pull out some old FAZA literature. Al was selling two different 5 speed conversions, one made by Bacci for $625, and one made by Colotti for $700. He goes into quite a bit of detail on the conversion and the impact on performance and fuel economy. Also found a little info he had on the Abarth 5 speed conversion

I have been doing this for years in my normally aspirated race car
4 speed diff and case and regatta 100s internals and 4speed lsd
Not hard to do at all
When I turboed the car I changed to uno internals which broke just as easy as regatta stuff
I now have a punto gt case with Alfa 156 internals which so far is holding up to nearly 300bhp atw

A plate type LSD for a five speed is available from 'Gripper Diffs, Coventry, Uk'. I've been running one for a couple of years with very good results. The diff is from a 1300, or Mk1, Uno Turbo. The only issue was the need to wind the pre-load right off due to the change in grip levels from front engine, front drive to rear wheel drive, mid engine setup

The diff is from a 1300, or Mk1, Uno Turbo.
That's interesting. I asked one of the (other) LSD makers about the possibility of running a Mk1 UT unit in the X1/9 trans and they did not know if it would fit. So I started researching the model numbers for the relevant trans and trying to cross reference diff applications. From what I saw it did not look promising so I dropped it. But you have done it.
Can you offer any more specific details. I just looked at their site and do not see any Fiat listings. Do you have the model number or other data? Thanks.

The only details I have are the order number - 206262 - and the invoice number - 106178 - which they should be able to locate the relevant details. It was so long since they had made one that they only had paper design drawings! It cost me the thick end of £1000, but this was to a large part due to the limited run and the up loading of the paper design onto the computer controlled lathe system, further orders would knock this down considerably. However, unless you are going for substantially more horse power and/or are using the car in competition I would question it's worth on a road car given the standard levels of grip and handling on an X1/9

Bill, I have a spare 5 speed trans and drive shafts that I will give to you. All I ask is you return the wheels and tires that I loaned you to give the body I sold you to make it roll on the trailer to get it to your home. I might have some other parts you could use.
Thanks, Bob

they only had paper design drawings! It cost me the thick end of £1000, but this was to a large part due to the limited run and the up loading of the paper design onto the computer controlled lathe system
Thanks Speedy. So the diff for the UT is not a regular production item for "Gripper Diffs"? Do you know if it was the same as a standard Mk1 UT replacement part, or was the machining involved to do customization to fit the X trans?

The Uno transmission is basically a Strada unit. There are a few differences but they are of little functional consequence. I have seen clutch type LSDs for these but they are rare.

There is little need for an LSD in a normally aspirated street 1500 X and most road race or autocross applications.

What about for when launching off the start line with grippy semi-slick tires? I have heard the diff in the 5 speed is rather fragile, and if it breaks it can damage the transmission case.

Back