Transmission swap from 5 speed to 4 speed?

CnC79X19

True Classic
Anyone ever do the swap the other way around, from a 5 to a 4 speed in an X? Our 79's transmission has seen way better days. The gremlins keep popping up the more we dig. We do have a 4 speed in our parts car and axles that look to be in good shape from what we can see and wonder if it's taboo to do it? What exactly would we need for the swap?

I see no reason why you can't swap to a four speed, just the opposite of many of us who have swapped from 4 to 5 speed. Need a 4-speed flywheel and starter, axles, hubs and shifter. If you have a four speed parts car than you have everything you should need.

I see no reason why you can't swap to a four speed, just the opposite of many of us who have swapped from 4 to 5 speed. Need a 4-speed flywheel and starter, axles, hubs and shifter. If you have a four speed parts car than you have everything you should need.

Yes, you can do the 4 speed swap. In addition to the above you will need the 4 speed dust shield that goes behind the flywheel.

However, its likely that the 4 speed might not be in significantly better condition. Most of the 4 speeds I see these days are pretty well used up. Not to mention you probably will hate not having a 5th gear.

You are welcome to PM me if you would like to discuss having the 5 speed rebuilt.

Yes, you can do the 4 speed swap. In addition to the above you will need the 4 speed dust shield that goes behind the flywheel.

However, its likely that the 4 speed might not be in significantly better condition. Most of the 4 speeds I see these days are pretty well used up. Not to mention you probably will hate not having a 5th gear.

You are welcome to PM me if you would like to discuss having the 5 speed rebuilt.
Hey Steve,
I’m looking into our options for the future. We’re replacing things left, right and center and were hoping that the tranny would not be one of them but when I slid it out of the way a couple days ago I noticed that one of the mating flanges on the hub that an axle pairs up with seems to have a bit of play. Not sure if it’s supposed to be present or not? Parts so far landing our way are killing us with shipping and import fees. Not to mention our very weak Canadian dollar. Are these transmissions extremely complicated?

I have a 78 1300 model that I did the 5spd conversion on. i bought a 5spd from a wrecker. I followed the Trans 101 instructions and replaced all the synchros, reverse idler gear and detent spring. I have never taken a transmission apart before but found this a straight forward job. I dont see why you would want to go the other way if you dont have to especially considering all the other bits you will need to source. The most difficult/time consuming part is getting the trans on/off the car. I would suggest replacing the clutch at the same time since you have it all apart.

Back